Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

?? on Bleeding Brake System (Brake Pads, Rotors)

Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
dudewheresmytaco is on a distinguished road

dudewheresmytaco's Tacoma Gallery
?? on Bleeding Brake System (Brake Pads, Rotors)

While changing my brake pads and rotors, I was working on the front passenger side, when i was pressing the piston down for space for the pad, the piston on the opposite side of the caliper shot out leaking out brake fluid. I assembled the caliper back and completed the brake pad and rotor swap with out bleeding or flushing the system. Now my brakes travel to the floor board with out much stopping power.

I have a couple of question i was hoping to get feed back on. I have read many posts on TW and the rest of the internet on bleeding the brake system. but I was hoping to hear what an experienced "brake person" would think would be the best method for bleeding the system. I have read about the "gravity" method and this sounds rather simple and doable. I personally would prefer this method as getting a second set of hands for help may not be an option. But if other methods would be ideal in my situation I would like to know. Also, what is the correct order to bleed the system for our trucks?

Second question is, I explained about the piston that shot out. I reassembled it with out replacing the boot or seal with new pieces. Should this be a real issue?

Any and all answers are appreciated. Thx
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #2

B.T.W. my truck has over 100K miles. the rotors were practically welded to the hub. The stock rotors have 2 holes for screwing i think 12mm screw into for "popping" off the rotors. Didnt realize this till i was in the situation. Took a brake logged on to TW and came across it in a post here. Only found 1 post with this info so maybe adding it will come in handy to some one researching this info prior to starting this job.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
LieutenantFF is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Disabled Veteran
Name: Bryan
LieutenantFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewheresmytaco View Post
While changing my brake pads and rotors, I was working on the front passenger side, when i was pressing the piston down for space for the pad, the piston on the opposite side of the caliper shot out leaking out brake fluid. I assembled the caliper back and completed the brake pad and rotor swap with out bleeding or flushing the system. Now my brakes travel to the floor board with out much stopping power.

I have a couple of question i was hoping to get feed back on. I have read many posts on TW and the rest of the internet on bleeding the brake system. but I was hoping to hear what an experienced "brake person" would think would be the best method for bleeding the system. I have read about the "gravity" method and this sounds rather simple and doable. I personally would prefer this method as getting a second set of hands for help may not be an option. But if other methods would be ideal in my situation I would like to know. Also, what is the correct order to bleed the system for our trucks?

Second question is, I explained about the piston that shot out. I reassembled it with out replacing the boot or seal with new pieces. Should this be a real issue?

Any and all answers are appreciated. Thx
Not to sure about the second part of the question, however the first part of the question is bleed from the brake farthest from the one with the leak (IE if left front was leaking, start with right rear then left rear then right front and then finally the leaky one) that way all of the all is pushed out correctly.
bleeding the brakes is rather easy. there is a nipple on the back top of the caliper. loosen it, have second person push brakes down a few times and then have them hold the brakes to the floor. when they are holding brakes to floor loosen nipple to expel brake bluid and air. after each wheel check resivor for brake fluid level. keep it topped up. as to not put MORE air into system.

the youtube vid i used.
http://youtu.be/Hf1iPbeg778
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
BRAKE FLUID (W/ VSC )

This PDF goes over the correct way to bleed the brakes for Tacoma's with VSC. I have bled brakes for years and when I changed my brake lines I could not get the damn things to bleed for the life of me. After reading this, it is a pretty easy process, you just have to do a few things differently.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #5

thank you spithead051 and LieutenantFF for the speedy replys. I will watch the video LieutenantFF posted and also use the manual spithead051 posted. thank you both.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewheresmytaco View Post
While changing my brake pads and rotors, I was working on the front passenger side, when i was pressing the piston down for space for the pad, the piston on the opposite side of the caliper shot out leaking out brake fluid. I assembled the caliper back and completed the brake pad and rotor swap with out bleeding or flushing the system.

sorry bout the thread revival, just curious if this happened to anybody else, and did just reassembling it have any problems?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
BRAKE FLUID (W/ VSC )

This PDF goes over the correct way to bleed the brakes for Tacoma's with VSC. I have bled brakes for years and when I changed my brake lines I could not get the damn things to bleed for the life of me. After reading this, it is a pretty easy process, you just have to do a few things differently.
Soorry for bumping the thread, but why on earth do you have to turn the truck on , hear the pump, depress pedal 20+ times and repeat this process 2 - 3 times?