1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Bumper Adjustment ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rellik01, May 19, 2012.

1. May 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Got rear ended the other day no damage no dents just one side of the bumper is moved in about 3/4 to an inch. I was told there is an adjustment for this type of thing. The other parties insurance cut me a check for about $1100. so I would like to pocket the money. Does anyone know if this adjustment exists and if so where is it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. May 19, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    why not put your beer or coffee down and go crawl under there and have a look see?? assuming its bolted on maybe theres some play or maybe youll have to widen a mount hole or two to make the adjustment...just sayin

3. May 19, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Yes, Virginia, adjustments do exist. Mine had to be adjusted after it was *gasp!* hit. It's just a matter of loosening bolts. BUT ~ If the mounting is bent, you can't adjust that. Not without some force. :(

4. May 19, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Okay I went outside and took a picture of where it mounts. This is the rear passenger side, on the corner. That round thing you see in the lower right with the wire coming out, you may not have, that's my back up sensor, so nevermind that.

[​IMG]

5. May 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    When I put the hitch on my truck, I do not remember any adjustment options- it was a bolt off, bolt on deal to the frame... without looking (its been three years) there may be slight adjustment options with the brackets, but as mentioned, you need to get out and look at the truck and see what has been compromised...look for stress, cracked paint finish, bent anything, etc... you will figure it out- good luck...:cool:

6. May 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    As as side note, there was a reason they wrote you a check for $1100. If you did have the truck inspected by an insurance adjuster, there is probably damage. But you can replace the bumper for less then $1100, even if its painted. Was there any slight body damage?

7. May 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    No other damage just sweet talked the adjuster into paying for a new bumper, paint etc. He happened to be real nice guy, in fact he was the one that told me about the adjustment.

8. May 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    fixer5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    did you reach this reach this post count using posts with no advice whatsoever? i at least gave him some advice...go look under there. think and use your brain now...how often is it really that cold in florida?

9. May 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    it coulda been dark

10. May 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    and thank you babytruck for takin a pic for OP, that was very nice of you!

11. May 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    fixer5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    ever heard of a flashlight?? lol

12. May 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Or MAYBE the OP doesn't know what he's looking for

Not everyone knows what they're looking at/for when they crawl under a truck...not everyone has a place to either

So put down the attitude, cop stereotypes and either help or don't post

13. May 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Took my bumper and the frame brackets off this morning and put on a trailer hitch and the same bumper. 2009 reg cab. Not really any room for adjusting anything. Maybe very little. Bolt holes line up clean and only the bracket ends have slots to aid in mounting. Worth a shot to adjust. You're not going to make it worse.

BTW it was a 17mm socket that fit on my 2009.

14. May 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wouldn't call it "adjustment" but there is a little "wiggle room".

When I tightened my hitch up, I noticed that the driver's side is about 1/4 to 1/2" further away from the body than the passenger side, and they were even before I installed the hitch.

It's not much... I wouldn't even say the holes are slotted, but they are large enough so they can be slipped around a bit when the screws are loosened.

Babytruck's photo is interesting... I didn't notice any brackets in the corners on my '08.

15. May 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Yeah. The only brackets on my 09 at straight back from the frame. BTW they could be for sale...

16. May 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Hey to all you wise asses grab your shinebox and take a walk. I thought this forum was about helping not bashing when someone needs some help as little as a question answered. Jerkoffs.

17. May 20, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White

Thanks, in fact I do have screws and rods in my back from getting run over intentionally. the least time spent crawling around under my truck the better.

18. May 20, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Not the slightest bit of body damage, just a chip in the paint the size of s pencil point already fixed with Dr. Colorchip.

19. May 20, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Thanks for the pic

20. May 20, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    If its not to much trouble could you circle or point out the adjustment point.

Products Discussed in

To Top