1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will new shocks improve harsh TSB ride?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sigo, May 21, 2012.

1. May 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    Sigo

Sigo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Question: Will upgrading to Bilstein 5100s in the rear improve upon (soften up) the ride quality? Will upgrading to 5100s in the front improve upon the ride quality? Is there a better course of action to get the results I'm after?

Background: I've got a 2010 TRD Quad Cab LB with ~15,000 miles on the odometer. I had the rear leaf TSB done after hauling one load of hardwood flooring and bottoming out on small bumps. It is the 4-leaf pack with the TRD Bilsteins. I DO notice that the ride is now quite a bit harsher while unloaded.

In order to keep the replies focused:
    • Yes I've searched and haven't found the answer I'm looking for.
    • Yes, I know it's a truck.
    • I probably drive 95% of the time with NO load.
    • Yes, I occassionaly use it as a truck and desire the extra carrying capacity the TSB provides.
    • I prefered the softer ride quality 3-leaf pack while not carrying a load.
    • I like the improved ride height in the rear as a result of the TSB. If I do the front I'd like to level it out.
    • I want the best of both worlds.
    Would appreciate any on topic feedback. Thanks in advance.

2. May 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    I doubt the 5100's alone are going to provide what you are wanting. The ride rite airbags in the back with out the rear leaf TSB is the way to handle loaded vs unloaded ride issues. In general I find the ride rite's to provide a superior, softer, dampened ride to the trucks I have ridden in with the rear leaf TSB, and they also will handle much more load.

5100's at 0 setting w/ Eibach springs or OME884 springs will provide an improved ride quality if you are interested in leveling it out.

In general it's accepted that the trucks don't perform as well off road with the air bags, but I haven't had any problems with mine. I have an '07 with the bags that now is my son's truck. Liked them so much I'm putting them on my '12.

Hope that helps.

David

3. May 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  4. May 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    cmoschip

cmoschip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    X2 on the bags. I have the non-TSB pack and the Firestone Ride Rites. Gives me the best of both worlds for MY usage. Nice, soft ride unloaded and the ability to load it up if necessary.

Products Discussed in

To Top