Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What is the difference...

Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
JahFtb has a spectacular aura aboutJahFtb has a spectacular aura about
JahFtb's Tacoma Gallery
What is the difference...

Between a 2007 Prerunner SR5 and a 2007 Prerunner TRD Sport?

I know the obvious is the hood scoop (which could be prolly be found online if desired?), upgraded suspension, and seats beyond that are there any differences?

EDIT: The premise for this post is seeing if a used TRD Sport Taco is worth it (233 miles away) when there is a SR5 Taco close by (54 miles) BOTH are 2007 and the Sport has 26k miles for $19,991 while the SR5 is 22k miles for $18,974.

Based on owner experience is there a difference in ride quality or anything that would warrant going soooo far?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JahFtb View Post

I know the obvious is the hood scoop (which could be prolly be found online if desired?), upgraded suspension, and seats beyond that are there any differences?
I have PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport which I heard i SUPER rare to find and in a Indigo Ink. But to answer your question... I think they are pretty much the same except( someone let me know) the Prerunner SR5 is 4x4. and the Prerunner TRD Sport is 4x2. Your dont get the Sport seats in the SR5. Same Engine. one doesnt have that overhead console display.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
JahFtb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
I have PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport which I heard i SUPER rare to find and in a Indigo Ink. But to answer your question... I think they are pretty much the same except( someone let me know) the Prerunner SR5 is 4x4. and the Prerunner TRD Sport is 4x2. Your dont get the Sport seats in the SR5. Same Engine. one doesnt have that overhead console display.
Can't be that rare .......
233 miles.......

54 miles......
Old 12-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Access cab... sorry left that out. for the Sport you do get Bilstien gas shocks and alittle bit stiffer ride. i dont think you will regret getting the Sport, because i have mine for about 2 years now and i have not had a single problem with it. just make sure they both have had the Suspension TSB.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

EDIT: The premise for this post is seeing if a used TRD Sport Taco is worth it (233 miles away) when there is a SR5 Taco close by (54 miles) BOTH are 2007 and the Sport has 26k miles for $19,991 while the SR5 is 22k miles for $18,974.

Based on owner experience is there a difference in ride quality or anything that would warrant going soooo far?
Sport will have: LSD, Color Keyed Mirrors / Door Handles / Grill Surround / Rear Bumper, Sport seats (worth the 1000 difference in price), billy suspension.

I'd go for the Sport, but just because I love the scoop
Old 12-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
Sport will have: LSD, Color Keyed Mirrors / Door Handles / Grill Surround / Rear Bumper, Sport seats (worth the 1000 difference in price), billy suspension.

I'd go for the Sport, but just because I love the scoop
^x2
Old 12-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
JahFtb's Tacoma Gallery
From what i see in pictures doesn't seem to be any difference in the seats..... can this be explained or is one of those have to feel to believe?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD Bucket seats are fantastic. Can't say enough good things about them.

I say TRD and not sport cause the Offroad has them too.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
From what i see in pictures doesn't seem to be any difference in the seats..... can this be explained or is one of those have to feel to believe?
yup... feel to believe... I didn't like the SR5 seats at all when I was looking...
Old 12-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
JahFtb's Tacoma Gallery
Would I be able to use traveling such a distance as an advantage to get a better deal since that is the sticker price they have on it? Would the remaining factory warranty apply to ANY dealership or just eh one of purchase?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Mayor of TW

hmm... it would probably go against you... if you drove 300 miles to see a particular used truck, the salesman would probably find that as an advantage for him. By saying you're coming from that far away, he'll know you don't really want to go home empty handed - plus he'll assume that you REALLY want that particular truck.

Toyota warranty is good at any dealership -- not just purchased dealership.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
JahFtb's Tacoma Gallery
Why must things be soo hard, not my fault no one around here wants to get rid of their TRD Sport I just can't justify the extra $10,000 to get a brand new Taco where there are a few in the area with under 30k miles.....
Old 12-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
Anthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the rough

Anthony999's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Prerunner means its 4x2. Every Taco you see with the prerunner badge is 2wd.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
JahFtb's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I should stop having such high hopes for having the best truck on the road and stick to my horribly uncomfortable, bad mpg, mound of plastic........... Chevy Colorado the thing is an 04 Extended Cab with NO rear seat/ jump seat just empty space....... soo what did they put in the front? bucket seats right....... NOPE a 60/40 split that stays at 90 degrees without a hint of reclining......... and it's the 5 cylinder model and at MOST I've only gotten 17.96 mpg and yes thats around town.......
Old 12-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #16
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
You SHOULD be negotiating online, not in person.
Right on Dog....got a great price on the internet before I even went to the dealer....took some time, but cash internet offers get attention quick......
Old 12-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^Good job. That's the best way. You save time and money all the way around by only going to the dealership that gives the best deal and no haggling when you get there.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #18
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the Prerunner SR5 is 4x4. and the Prerunner TRD Sport is 4x2.
Prerunner= 2wd
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
The TRD Bucket seats are fantastic. Can't say enough good things about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
yup... feel to believe... I didn't like the SR5 seats at all when I was looking...
TRD has Sport seats with driver lumbar support and Sport fabric trim (in place of standard bucket seats)

I have standard bucket seats (non TRD) with lumbar support and the cheap gray material. I thought the only difference was the fabric , I didn't notice any difference in comfort. My friend says the TRD fabric stains easily and leaves water marks when trying to clean. I have Okoles though.

For the OP, Sport will have the upgraded seats, hood scoop, color matched bumpers mirrors door handles, 17 in wheels instead of 16, Bilsteins and sport tuned suspension, temp and compass on overhead console, power outlet in bed and Limited Slip Differential.
Am I missing anything?

So the mechanical differences are LSD vs. open differential, but some Sr5 packages came with LSD so check on that. Also with the SR5 just get the free Suspension TSB (do a search) and that will upgrade to Bilstein shocks free.

My vote is go for the Sr5 and try negotiating a deal closer to home. Good Luck
Old 12-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #19
Banned
Munky is on a distinguished road
Navy: Active 2002 - present
Name: Beau
Munky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Munky Send a message via Yahoo to Munky
Quit being a Wuss and get a 4x4
Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #20
JahFtb's Tacoma Gallery