Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Electric Fan Direct bolt-on replacing the original belt driven fan

Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Question Electric Fan Direct bolt-on replacing the original belt driven fan

Was looking for a Toyota part today and this popped up. It was the furthest thing from what I was looking for.

Does this really add any benifit to our trucks at all?

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/toyota-tacoma.html
Old 12-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Was looking for a Toyota part today and this popped up. It was the furthest thing from what I was looking for.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/toyota-tacoma.html
not to me just waste more battery power.....
Old 12-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

[quote=surfsupl;299181]Was looking for a Toyota part today and this popped up. It was the furthest thing from what I was looking for.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...tml[/quote]

In my own opinion, i would say the tacoma would definitely benefit from these flex-a-lites. It takes more power then you would ever imagine to turn our mechanical fans round and round. Not only is it consuming valuable power (especially on a 2.7L), but it is also burning more fuel. I would say people who could benefit most from this product would be the ones who are in hot to very hot climates, and doing slow trail riding or climbing. Being that you are not moving fast, it will maximize the efficiency of your radiator. Flex-a-lite has been the leader in aftermarket and race fans for many years.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
"The Fuzz"
shook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really nice

Name: Joe
shook0002's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do it. I've run the black magic bolt in fan on a near stock 5.0 Mustang and it sucked, especially in traffic with a/c on, and that was with a new aluminum radiator. Put the fan clutch setup back on and it cooled perfect. They just don't pull enough cfm to cool especially with a/c or towing. The only electric fan I would use is one from a Lincoln Mark 8 with a DC fan controller setup.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
The Range rover I used to have had an electric pusher fan in front of the rad, and a mechanical fan in the normal position. Electric for slow 4 wheeling. Electric motor technology has come along way from the K car days. There is still K cars with electric fans running today.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
The Range rover I used to have had an electric pusher fan in front of the rad, and a mechanical fan in the normal position. Electric for slow 4 wheeling. Electric motor technology has come along way from the K car days. There is still K cars with electric fans running today.
Very true. A vast majority of new vehicles that are not on the bottom of the barrel, come with electric setups. Technology is far superior than it used to be. There are also non-electromechanical relays that can solve your 'potential' relay issues.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
I did a similar mod on my old S-10 4x4 pickup using a LS1 Camaro dual e-fan setup and a flex-a-lite variable speed electronic controller. Very reliable and more than enough cooling power for the V-6. In fact when sitting in stop and go traffic that dual fan setup kept the engine cooler than the mechanical fan and gave better a/c performance. It probably helped mileage a tad but the best thing was getting rid of the belt fan roar at startup.