LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

(1) Year old Factory battery--leaking acid

Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
(1) Year old Factory battery--leaking acid

Here we are again. I had my factory battery replaced under warranty after exactly two years for leaking acid. Now my one year old battery is leaking acid just like the first.

Nothing special about my truck, all factory electrical equipment. I'm going to let the stealer evaluate the charging circuit.

I wonder if my alternator is over charging the battery?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it's acid? Have you tasted it or anything?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
dirtysouthtaco is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Fire Suppresion
Name: Jason
dirtysouthtaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^hahaha^^

I would just keep taking it to the dealer and say fix it! I tout it was free tires and batteries for life, as long as you get your service done with them.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Heavy cycling (discharge and recharge) of a battery will cause it to boil over like that.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
those caps can pop off pretty easy, Also the battery tie down clamp cracks the battery, I've had this done to 2 batteries now.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
id say overcharging also. boils the battery
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Here we are again. I had my factory battery replaced under warranty after exactly two years for leaking acid. Now my one year old battery is leaking acid just like the first.

Nothing special about my truck, all factory electrical equipment. I'm going to let the stealer evaluate the charging circuit.

I wonder if my alternator is over charging the battery?
I think they are just crappy batteries. Mine did that at the five year mark. Replaced with a NAPA....another year down the road it's still okay. My company truck also did the same thing at the three year mark-also a Tacoma. Same exact deal, leaking at the positive terminal.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
i just wanted to make sure, is it leaking where the tie down clamp across the middle is?
Dunno. I think it boils out from under those two service caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I think they are just crappy batteries. Mine did that at the five year mark. Replaced with a NAPA....another year down the road it's still okay. My company truck also did the same thing at the three year mark-also a Tacoma. Same exact deal, leaking at the positive terminal.
x2 Must be if it's a common problem.

I took it to my neighborhood stealer and they cleaned it up real nice and sprayed the anti-corrosion stuff on the terminals and the tie-down and dressed it up real good. They did a very good job covered under warranty. I'll post a pic later.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A little seepage out of the top isn't the end of the world for a battery. It just means it will need more of your attention. Every month or so you should wipe down the top with a baking soda and water mixture to neutralize the acid. Once all cleaned up, pop the caps and top off each of the six cells with distilled water. This is how it was done back in the old days before "sealed" and "maintenance free" batteries.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
A little seepage out of the top isn't the end of the world for a battery. It just means it will need more of your attention. Every month or so you should wipe down the top with a baking soda and water mixture to neutralize the acid. Once all cleaned up, pop the caps and top off each of the six cells with distilled water. This is how it was done back in the old days before "sealed" and "maintenance free" batteries.
Yeah, I wasn't too concerned until I pulled the cables off and discovered the acid had eaten away most of the silver plating on the positive cable clamp. They are copper with a thin plating. I just cleaned everything up real well and used some sealer on them. I feel like I should have gone down to the dealer and got a new positive clamp though.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Weapon Mechanic

Clean it all up, tighten all connections, then spray the metal/lead parts on and near the battery with this:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...073_0075099623

Just don't get any on your paint or clothes. It stains INSTANTLY.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Clean it all up, tighten all connections, then spray the metal/lead parts on and near the battery with this:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...073_0075099623

Just don't get any on your paint or clothes. It stains INSTANTLY.
That's what I used. Seems to be okay. It's been a year and a half and no issues.