1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power outlets always hot

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rellik01, May 23, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    If it's a stuck relay dosen't that have a power draw? Maybe affect the battery?

My 12 has it only with the key in.

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    No, it's not your standard Bosche relay and it works different. If it's 'stuck' then it's open and this means no circuit is completed therefore there is no draw. Now, if you have something plugged in to the outlet with the truck off it could drain your battery but that's a different story. Many manufacturers make their vehicles with outlets that are always hot and they don't have any higher number of dead batteries as a result. Essentially if this relay fails it makes it so your outlet is hot all the time. Nothing else negative really can come from this particular 'problem' other than your 12v outlets being hot all the time. Having seen the relay myself I would guess this type of 'failure' is quite rare and he just lucked out. My other guess is there are other people out there with a similar 'problem' in Toyotas as well as other vehicles that have no idea their car isn't just supposed to be that way.

3. Jun 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    tmreyes1

tmreyes1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Rey
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD
    I have a 2012 and when I installed a power outlet in the center console I used an add a circuit tapped into the Accy. fuse and the outlet I added was always hot, but the 2 factory ones were not. I use the added port to charge my stinger flashlight and power my CB so I did not want it hot all the time. I switched the add a circuit to the IGN fuse and took care of that issue.

4. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    This isn't true IAW the 2009 Tacoma circuit below. The socket gets powered when the relay contact is closed, not when it is stuck open as you said. If it was stuck open the power socket would never have any power either with the key on or off. You are mistaken or do not know how to read an electrical schematic. I have been an electronics tech for 40+ years. The relay would have to be stuck closed in order for the socket to have power with the ignition switch off.

5. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    My information isn't from wiring schematics but from first-hand knowledge. I've modified my relay myself to remain open and have seen the inside and inner workings myself. You modify it but putting something non-conductive in between the contacts and poof! 12v all of the time. You don't jumper contacts to close the circuit like other modifications (fog lights for instance) you keep the circuit from closing which it sounds like what the others are describing. Since I can't see their electronics in person myself I'm just basing this off of what they're describing and what I've seen first-hand. Not sure why the wiring schematics you've seen would differ from this.

6. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Like I stated above from the circuit pictured in my previous post from a 2009 Tacoma shop service manual. Look at the picture: When the key is turned to the ACC position it energizes the relay coil, this creates a magnet that pulls the contacts closed and that provides a path for the 12 volts to the power points. The contact would have to be closed to supply 12 VDC to the power point sockets.

An open contact cannot apply power. If you have something different it must involve some type of alien technology. I only wish I could see what you have. Any pictures?

:)

7. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    my 2012 doesn't do that, something wrong with a really or something

Products Discussed in

To Top