Notices

Riding Rough

Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Mellyson is on a distinguished road

Name: Melissa
Mellyson's Tacoma Gallery
Riding Rough

Hey All!!

I am new to Tacoma World. I have an 05 Tacoma PreRunner. I put a 2.5" lift on it (spacers in the front and blocks in the rear) It rides so rough. Every little groove in the road pitches the truck. I am running 265/70/16. I have been reading up on the OME products and don't want to empty my wallet trying to fix this thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
TWINSIES!
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW . Get rid of those blocks lol, the OME lift is great you will love it. Also check out the bilstein 5100 series shocks they are great too...
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Secret Squirell, Contract Completed
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on OME. Its made for suspension abusers. GL
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
The spacer lift is the worst type of lift possible for the tacoma. Spacers can work better for other vehicles but cause harsh ride which is why very few pick them.

Cheapest option is the 5100 Bilstein shock that are adjustable ride height using factory spring. Or you can get aftermarket springs from OME or Toytec. Downsouth motor sports has the best deal on the 5100's

OME and Toytec makes a lift that is very popular as well.

Take off the spacer lift as fast as possible.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...udes-pics.html
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #6

Smile

Thanks so much for all the tips. I am open to anything. I don't want to ruin the ride of the truck but I want it to look good. I will check out some of those vendors today and see what they have to bring to the table.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Dont spend anymore money on aftermarket suspension stuff. spend the $$ and put it back to stock. i learned the hard way with my 07. went from a smooth as silk ride to feeling like you were constantly off-roading, even on the smoothest freeway. 5100's and bfg a/t's. looked great, rode like crap. Never going to change the suspension ever again. Its just not worth it.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellyson View Post
Thanks so much for all the tips. I am open to anything. I don't want to ruin the ride of the truck but I want it to look good. I will check out some of those vendors today and see what they have to bring to the table.

Thanks again!!
Check out Downsouth Motorsports, Toytec Lifts and Wheelers Off Road. They offer discounts to TW members and their customer service is great!

I'll also echo what everyone else said, check out the Old Man Emu lifts. The 5100/Eibach combo is nice but I think it rides a little rough if you spend a lot of time on slow speed bumpy trails or rough city streets. At speed they're great!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks again!!
The set up you have ruins the ride- Both options mentioned above are a great improvement over the stock suspension. You actually might be happy with the stock suspension after riding around with the spacers and blocks installed.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The spacers will also not allow your front suspension to contact the bump stops before bottoming out. This will break your front coilovers off at the strut.

Get rid of the spacers.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Welcome and go with some 5100 /eibach coils up front it'll ride nice

Stupid question but I will ask since I don't know:

Do I take the spacers out and use just the 5100's and eiback coils?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
yes. you can also adjust the lift with the 5100s set at .85 with the eibach springs for about 1.5" of lift. no adjustment with 5100s paired with eibachs will give you .85" of lift.

just please take those spacers out and throw them in a lake
Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Guy above me did not make sense in his post, disregard that info he posted.

There is a trade off when you raise a truck.

Anytime you lift it you are going to increase the harshness to a certain degree.

If you have the TRD off road package the springs up front suck to begin with for a smooth ride since they are progressive. If you have a sport model or SR5 the springs they are linear so they rider better and some members just run stock springs and set the 5100s to .85" or 1.75" of lift.

Replacing them with 5100 and eibach/toytec coils set at 0 on the shocks will lift about 1.5 to 1.75 inches and ride basically same as stock.

If you run the same combo and set shock at .85 it will ride a lil rougher than stock but raise the to about 2-2.5 inches.

There are also Old man emu springs available to put on the 5100's or the OME shocks. They are very popular as well. 4 spring rates and heights to choose from.

Typically a spacer is placed on the drivers side to fix the factory lean but the spacer is only a 1/4" thick.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #14

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stupid question but I will ask since I don't know:

Do I take the spacers out and use just the 5100's and eiback coils?

Thanks!
Yes dumb old setup you have. Pretty much need nothing from it.

The only stock item needed when going to the OME shocks and springs or the 5100 and Eibach/toytec coils is the factory top shock plate and rubber isolator/bushind.

It is not included in any of the aftermarket setups unless you choose a pre-assembled setup but that typically costs about $100 more.

If you do not have the mechanical know how or springs compressor or a shop willing to work with you, the option is there from toytec to buy assembled shocks/springs.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
Guy above me did not make sense in his post, disregard that info he posted.

There is a trade off when you raise a truck.

Anytime you lift it you are going to increase the harshness to a certain degree.

This is dependent on the coils you choose. Stock coils have a spring rate of around 540 #/in, OMEs are 580ish I believe and Eibachs are 620. With a brand like Icon, you can choose a softer coil and you would not increase the harshness of the ride at all.

If you have the TRD off road package the springs up front suck to begin with for a smooth ride since they are progressive. If you have a sport model or SR5 the springs they are linear so they rider better and some members just run stock springs and set the 5100s to .85" or 1.75" of lift.

Replacing them with 5100 and eibach/toytec coils set at 0 on the shocks will lift about 1.5 to 1.75 inches and ride basically same as stock.

If you've ever riden in a Tacoma with the 5100/Eibach spring combo you'd know this is not even close to true. Although this setup rides nice, it is very noticeable stiffer than the stock suspension.

If you run the same combo and set shock at .85 it will ride a lil rougher than stock but raise the to about 2-2.5 inches.

See above, it'll be very stiff if you run this combo. The 5100's do a nice job dampening the stiff Eibach coils but it does not take away from the fact that they are a very stiff coil.

There are also Old man emu springs available to put on the 5100's or the OME shocks. They are very popular as well. 4 spring rates and heights to choose from.

Do your homework before throwing out bad information... OME 883, 884 and 885s all have the same spring rates, the difference is the coil height. 885's are 10mm taller than 884's which are 10mm taller than 883's. They're all 580 #/in. The 886's are the only ones that have a different spring rate. I believe 886's are up around 650 #/in and are also 10mm taller than the 885's. 886 coils should be paired with OME nitrocharger shocks (although they still work with 5100s) and should be used if you're planning on using a heavy plate bumper such as the ARB and a winch with steel line. 886's will be very stiff on a stock, unarmored truck.

Typically a spacer is placed on the drivers side to fix the factory lean but the spacer is only a 1/4" thick.
See above in red...
Old 05-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Good info. Not to thread jack but I am looking at lifting the truck but want to maintain something near factory ride. Want look of lift but truck is for on road. Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #17

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
I did incorrectly state they had 4 rates and heights, did not re read what I wrote. Thanks for cleaning that up. There is a chart out somewhere with the rates and lengths.

Found one
http://tacoma-upgrade.com/2009/06/20...ft-height.html

As for the 5100 Eibach riding rougher than stock. In my case they are firm but do not hit a bump near as hard as the stock TRD OR springs and shocks I had on it. So I do know what I am referring to with respect to this I drive this setup daily. I am 5100 set at 0 with toytec springs. Tire PSI and 38 on a P load rating. Way better than stock in all aspects.

I do believe that setup would be rough at .85 and with a C,D,E load rating.

I did not bring up ICON and higher end brands that offer a huge spectrum. I am not about to go into long travel and mid travel.

Thanks for cleaning up for me Pugga

As for a slight lift with near stock ride. 5100 at .85 or 5100 with OME 884
Old 05-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did incorrectly state they had 4 rates and heights, did not re read what I wrote. Thanks for cleaning that up. There is a chart out somewhere with the rates and lengths.

Found one

As for the 5100 Eibach riding rougher than stock. In my case they are firm but do not hit a bump near as hard as the stock TRD OR springs and shocks I had on it. So I do know what I am referring to with respect to this I drive this setup daily. I am 5100 set at 0 with toytec springs. Tire PSI and 38 on a P load rating. Way better than stock in all aspects.

I did not bring up ICON and higher end brands that offer a huge spectrum. I am not about to go into long travel and mid travel.

I just re-read what I wrote, I hope it didn't come out too snotty, that wasn't the intent. You gave a lot of good information, I just wanted to clear some things up and complete the story.

I've got the Eibachs now and kind of wish I had gone with 884's or 883's to be honest. I had SR5/TRD Sport coils and they are much stiffer than those, compared to a TRD Off Road maybe it's not as drastic of a difference
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #19

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
No not snotty at all, I did not write the correct info and you cleared it up.

As for the Sport VS Offroad springs very few of us stay stock long enough to remember or ride in stock trucks.

From what I have read over and over is the the Off road rides like crap and I can agree but on the other hand the Sport coils are stated to be softet.

I almost bought sport coils to put on some 5100's to set at .85 but I am glad I went with the toytec springs at 0 they are just right.

I believe toytecs at .85 would be to rough for me especially with higher ply sidewall tire.

There are alot of variables in the situation, ambient temp (vehicles hit bumps alot harder in the cold), tire load rating, springs, shocks, spacers, personal taste, etc etc.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #20

Unhappy

Quote:

Found one

So many decisions. I may just go with the Eiback and 5100. I would hate to spend the money and then have it not be as good; but then again, I am sure anything is better than what I have on there. I had the spacers on my old 4runner and it was great. I have been running the Tacoma with the spacers for about 2 years now and it is like i am driving down a country road all the time