Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota College Grad Program paid by Toyota?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
pbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura about

Name: Colton
pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota College Grad Program paid by Toyota?

I thought I remember reading a few places that the $1000 rebate for college grads is paid for by the corporation/factory, so it does not affect what the dealer makes on a truck. Does anyone know if this is a fact?

I'm trying to see if I can negotiate close to invoice, then tack on the $1000 discount
Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
True story. Check out this thread I made for questions just like this... Here

or check Toyota's site.. here
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Yup I got $1000 off my Tacoma with the college grad discount.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
pbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura about

Name: Colton
pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Yup I got $1000 off my Tacoma with the college grad discount.
Yeah, I know it exists, but I want to not look like an idiot if I tell the dealer I want ~800 under invoice because I know that Toyota covers the $1000 grad discount.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've heard do not let the dealer know anything about you wanting to use that rebate until you have agreed on a price. THEN tell them by the way i qualify for the college grad program. Toyota does pay that 1000 dollars but the dealer will try and not negotiate as well if they know upfront. Also on a side not I had very good luck by emailing a request a quote on the truck I wanted asking them the out the door price. Then went to the dealership and talked to a salesman and asked the same question. His bottom price was 2000 more then the emailed price so I pulled out the email and ended up getting 400 more off.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
400 more off the emailed price.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick82 View Post
From what I've heard do not let the dealer know anything about you wanting to use that rebate until you have agreed on a price. THEN tell them by the way i qualify for the college grad program. Toyota does pay that 1000 dollars but the dealer will try and not negotiate as well if they know upfront. Also on a side not I had very good luck by emailing a request a quote on the truck I wanted asking them the out the door price. Then went to the dealership and talked to a salesman and asked the same question. His bottom price was 2000 more then the emailed price so I pulled out the email and ended up getting 400 more off.

Not completely true. The money that Toyota offers for a rebate on any vehicle does not affect the dealers profit. That money comes from Toyota the company, not the dealership.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
mbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura aboutmbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Matt
mbrogz3000's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind that they use the "See your dealer for details" disclaimer, so the details can be twisted by the dealer if desired. If you complain to Toyota...well.. your not really a customer before the big purchase, and its likely that Toyota would defer to the dealership for that program availablity.

For me, I had a decent price negotiated, but did not use Toyota Financial for financing the loan, so I was not able to receive the additional $1k off.

Certified trade schools, and Masters Degree programs are also eligbible for up to two years after you receive your diploma.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrogz3000 View Post
Keep in mind that they use the "See your dealer for details" disclaimer, so the details can be twisted by the dealer if desired. If you complain to Toyota...well.. your not really a customer before the big purchase, and its likely that Toyota would defer to the dealership for that program availablity.

For me, I had a decent price negotiated, but did not use Toyota Financial for financing the loan, so I was not able to receive the additional $1k off.

Certified trade schools, and Masters Degree programs are also eligbible for up to two years after you receive your diploma.
Sounds like you got screwed out of the 1K? From my understanding, that discount is not just for people who finance through TFS (although I could be wrong). If a dealer tried to tell me I didnt qualify for something I knew I did I'd tell them I'll take my money elsewhere and walk out.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #10

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zul View Post
Sounds like you got screwed out of the 1K? From my understanding, that discount is not just for people who finance through TFS (although I could be wrong). If a dealer tried to tell me I didnt qualify for something I knew I did I'd tell them I'll take my money elsewhere and walk out.
Any time TFS offers any sort of rebate or incentive, you MUST get the financing done thru them to qualify for the special rates and/or customer cash. Taking your money elsewhere is only going to waste your gas because the next Toyota dealership is under the same rules as the last.