Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AIR filter replacement in dusty conditions

Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
AIR filter replacement in dusty conditions

So i lived in seattle and with all the rain there is little dust. I could go 15K miles and it would still be fine.

Here in MX i live 15 miles away from Popocatépetl which over the past 2 months has been erupting and dusting everything with ash (like cement) about twice a week. plus its dusty here this time of the year. I replaced about 3k ago and i pulled it off today to check it and it was way past due with my secondary filter all dusted up. That got removed.

Granted these conditions are extreme but what is everyone who lives in dusty contitions doing. I did the local filters and bumped it up to toyota which seems marginally better. Ill go with an aftermarket as soon as i get back to the US for a trip i need to do but was just wondering -- what every 1k miles?????. or is a little ultra fine dust past the filter ok and normal in conditions
Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
When my filter looks dirty I change it, no matter what the milage is. Check it regulary.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
When my filter looks dirty I change it, no matter what the milage is. Check it regulary.
yeah -- ill be checking way more frequently but as a general rule is what i was looking is a worst case senarios change interval.

Ive never lived in these conditions for an exteneded period of time.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
I would generally change an oem filter yearly. Its cheap insurance. For your situation? I would at least check your air filters monthly.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
billygoat is on a distinguished road
billygoat's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly the general rule is change it when it gets dirty, especially for worst case scenarios...I know guys who clean off their filters with compressed air after really dusty trail runs to save money though. Volcanic ash is really abrasive stuff, I would be concerned about any noticeable amount of it getting past your air filter--honestly I wonder if there are any tricks out there like installing an oiled secondary filter that won't choke the engine. Even a clean Toyota paper filter will let some stuff through. If the ash is really that bad you might want to limit how much you drive until it clears up...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
FYI-Paper filters better than the others.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #7

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billygoat View Post
Honestly the general rule is change it when it gets dirty, especially for worst case scenarios...I know guys who clean off their filters with compressed air after really dusty trail runs to save money though. Volcanic ash is really abrasive stuff, I would be concerned about any noticeable amount of it getting past your air filter--honestly I wonder if there are any tricks out there like installing an oiled secondary filter that won't choke the engine. Even a clean Toyota paper filter will let some stuff through. If the ash is really that bad you might want to limit how much you drive until it clears up...
been erupting of and on for the last two months -- cant really limit esposure. it fals and floats around everywhere. its like cement. only after it rains does it get better.

The following weekend we are looking into moving to Xalapa, Its a good excuse to get closer to this. I am getting sick of this ash -- phisically sick. Volcanic ash is some all around bad stuff

http://youtu.be/13XYfjhpcEo
Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I changed a lot of air filters at a DE plant on the fleet of fork lifts. It's worse than ash and absolutely everywhere. We'd often blow them out. Just shake it out as often as you need and replace it every other month. That's just my opinion.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
If the area is extremely dusty you should blow the filter with compressed air at least weekly and change it every few months.

My father drives his 95 T100 on our farm and the thing is driven through mud and dust 100% of its use. I blow the air filter with compressed air whenever I have the chance and the thing is already dirty a week after I clean it. Sucks though, since the condition of the engine isn't so great anymore because of the dirty oil (should have changed oil more frequently also)
Old 05-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #10

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808TRDTaco10 View Post
If the area is extremely dusty you should blow the filter with compressed air at least weekly and change it every few months.

My father drives his 95 T100 on our farm and the thing is driven through mud and dust 100% of its use. I blow the air filter with compressed air whenever I have the chance and the thing is already dirty a week after I clean it. Sucks though, since the condition of the engine isn't so great anymore because of the dirty oil (should have changed oil more frequently also)
how many miles? Condition of th engine -- what is off on it. How often does he change the oil.

If i move this wont be an issue because Xalapa is a tropical environment.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #11

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I changed a lot of air filters at a DE plant on the fleet of fork lifts. It's worse than ash and absolutely everywhere. We'd often blow them out. Just shake it out as often as you need and replace it every other month. That's just my opinion.
does it get past the air filters? How long do the engines last?

I am not a big proponent of blowing filters out with compressed air. it kindof disrupts the layers of the filter which IMO allows for dust to eventually get past into the engine.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Paper filters are the most efficient as far as filtration. Routinely blowing them out with compressed air can cause damage to the filter media which allows more particulates to get through. I used to be an equipment operator at a cement plant. We would tap the filter out on the concrete every other day or so. Once it was so clogged that tapping the filter out didn't help, it was time to replace.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #13

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Paper filters are the most efficient as far as filtration. Routinely blowing them out with compressed air can cause damage to the filter media which allows more particulates to get through. I used to be an equipment operator at a cement plant. We would tap the filter out on the concrete every other day or so. Once it was so clogged that tapping the filter out didn't help, it was time to replace.

I agree about the paper filters being one of the best options available. Especially when compared to a K&N which is the only other technology i am familiar with. Ive run up and down Baja on motorcycles wit groups of other bikes twice and have seen many K&N pass dust while my OEM filters did fine.

I sell lubricants to cement plants and I can tell you I feel like i live in a friggen cement plant.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peru View Post
I agree about the paper filters being one of the best options available. Especially when compared to a K&N
Anyone thinking of buying any type of non-stock air filter should read this post:
http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html
Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Anyone thinking of buying any type of non-stock air filter should read this post:
http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html
But the .2 horsepower gain is so worth it.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #17

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Maticuno;5140842]Anyone thinking of buying any type of non-stock air filter should read this post:
http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...tml[/QUOTE]

Well looks like that argument has finnaly been put to rest.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

^^^This. Blowing out the filter can put holes in the media which lets more through. Removing your secondary filter might have been a bad idea if there were particles getting through your primary filter, now they are tearing up your cylinder walls. If I were driving in your conditions I would be using paper filters and changing them when knocking them out stops working. Volcanic dust can be bad stuff, as you know, and very abrasive. Do everything you can to keep it out of your engine!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peru View Post
does it get past the air filters? How long do the engines last?

I am not a big proponent of blowing filters out with compressed air. it kindof disrupts the layers of the filter which IMO allows for dust to eventually get past into the engine.
Probably, it's very fine and very abrasive. We ran those fork lifts 24/7 for thousands of hours no problem. I blew out filters all the time and those fuckers got run hard, non-stop, and lasted and lasted, in some of the worst conditions imaginable . Just my .02. Do what you will.

edit: I'll add some but not all had secondary filters
Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #20

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Probably, it's very fine and very abrasive. We ran those fork lifts 24/7 for thousands of hours no problem. I blew out filters all the time and those fuckers got run hard, non-stop, and lasted and lasted, in some of the worst conditions imaginable . Just my .02. Do what you will.

edit: I'll add some but not all had secondary filters
No worries -- based on that info id say its not that much of an issue "IF" you do it correctly and are carefull not to damage the padding that is attached to the fiber paper.

I used to be a service engineer for komatsu many years ago and I was always told that blowing the dust out was a bad thing. Probably due to the high possibility of causing problems if not done correctly. That is the onlything I have -- the rest is purely anecdotal evidence.