Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone notice a difference driving the TRD Sport vs. TRD OffRoad?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
HonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Got out quite awhile ago
Name: Koi
HonoluluTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone notice a difference driving the TRD Sport vs. TRD OffRoad?

Ok I just went from a 2007 TRD Sport PreRunner DC/SB to a 2010 4x4 TRD OffRoad DC/SB.

Wow very different truck!!! My PreRunner had a very tight suspension and a lot of pickup, my OffRoad is a lot more loose and seems a bit more sluggish, however is a smoother ride.

I know they have different suspensions and the transmissions are different 8.0 vs 8.4, plus my OffRoad has a camper, so quite a bit more weight.

Just seeing if anyone else has experienced this or maybe has some technical answers.

FYI I also noticed that the 2010's have a confirm beep for the alarm when arming and disarming, my 2007 did not. Not super impressed with the JBL compared with my 2007 stock.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
The OR package attracts 28% more "hoes"
Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoluluTaco View Post
Ok I just went from a 2007 TRD Sport PreRunner DC/SB to a 2010 4x4 TRD OffRoad DC/SB.

Wow very different truck!!! My PreRunner had a very tight suspension and a lot of pickup, my OffRoad is a lot more loose and seems a bit more sluggish, however is a smoother ride.

I know they have different suspensions and the transmissions are different 8.0 vs 8.4, plus my OffRoad has a camper, so quite a bit more weight.

Just seeing if anyone else has experienced this or maybe has some technical answers.

FYI I also noticed that the 2010's have a confirm beep for the alarm when arming and disarming, my 2007 did not. Not super impressed with the JBL compared with my 2007 stock.
I did the opposite, going from the Offroad to the Sport. I found the Sport to be a smoother ride, but I also added weight of 4x4 and double cab which might have something to do with it.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Quote:
Yeah I'm not that disappointed just surprised, It will keep me from driving around so fast as I used to in my PreRunner.
Are you happy with the switch?
Oh yeah I'm happy with the 4wd and double cab now, but my Prerunner AC was a bit quicker too.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
I know the OR has a thinner front swaybar, which may make it feel more "loose". Maybe different suspension bushings. The OR also has different front coil springs. I've heard differences on shock valving, but some saying they're the same.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Differently tuned shocks
Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
First Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
First Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Ok! Your comparing the rides with one having a camper and the other not! The with the camper is more sluggish!
I want my click back!
Loose the camper! try them again and report back!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #11
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
^ Lol about the hoes comment. Having owned both I can say the sport rode like a Cadillac and the OR drove like a.. Well a truck. Then again I bought the OR used with 60k & the sport brand new, didn't matter though I lifted them both within a couple of weeks of purchase. With the same lift on both it rode the same so I think this will turn in to a OR vs Sport biased thread.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
HonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Got out quite awhile ago
Name: Koi
HonoluluTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah The Parts Whore will be shipping out my suspension next week (3" King coil overs/ Allpro 3" leaf pack with Fox RR) so Its not gonna matter much, I just didn't realize there was such a difference. I think I'm gonna loose the camper, It squeaks every once in while too, that should pep it up in addition to the dual cat backs I'm putting on in my brother in laws garage this afternoon. I'll be starting a build page after I add a few Mods.

Oh and about the sport vs OR, I'm doing both, Had the sport, sold it with the stipulation in the bill of sale that we switch hoods when I get my OffRoad, I bought color matched handles online and am still looking for White mirrors. Will be upgrading to Relentless Fab armor when its made so color matching bumpers aren't an issue. And then I'll have a TRD Sport look with an TRD OffRoad Trans....
Old 05-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Differently tuned shocks
Are you sure? I thought both trims had the same Bilstein 4600s.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 DC 4X4 OR scoots along pretty good... does drive like a truck...can't beat a locked vs. limited slip diff off road... w/65k miles I believe its time for an OME suspension upgrade...
Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
Are you sure? I thought both trims had the same Bilstein 4600s.
I'm not sure as in I'm not a pro or toyota mech/engineer.

I looked and can't find the thread on it I was reading.

Essentially what I got from is was the Sports are progressive and the ORs not, they are the same shock tuned differently, I don't know enough to talk all technical. I know chris 4x4 made some comments on it in the thread I was refering too. Maybe he'll randomly see this and chime in.

I've ridden in both and think the difference is there, but that don't mean jack without facts.

When you see the selling bits it's always saying "tuned for off road performance" or tuned for on road performance"

What's dumb is that there is a definite answer somewhere and everyone debates over what they "think" haha

I guess I'm guilty of passing along "what I've read"
Old 05-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Agree ^^^

I think the difference is the coils not the shocks
Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
I just went looking at springs on Lithia Toyota Parts website,the springs ARE different. Looks to me like the regular SR5 and Sport share the same springs,but the Off Road has a different set of springs listed with a VERY different price. ( see link below ).

http://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/par...w=31&maxRow=10

And in using the same theory looking at the parts list there are different listings for the Off Road and Non-Off Road packages.The prices differ on these as well.( See link below ).

http://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/par...w=11&maxRow=10
Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Yep , coils are different , not the shocks
If I remember, the sports have the same coils as the non TRD SR-5's, and the TRD's are progressive.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #20

Now we know