Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Install Order: LR UCAs and 5100s

Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
bunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the rough
bunsojr's Tacoma Gallery
Install Order: LR UCAs and 5100s

Just got my LR UCAs in and my 5100s have been waiting patiently. My question is that order I install these in? Remove UCA, then shock? Then install in reverse order? A little advice please. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Might be easier to remove uca, pull shock/coil, then work backwards.

But honestly it doesn't matter.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, it will actually make it easier to install with the UCA disconnected to the spindle when installing the strut.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
bunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the rough
bunsojr's Tacoma Gallery
oh...im also planning on just doing the shock install method where i don't have to remove the coil, but use a jack to keep it compressed while i swap out the shock.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
... Fuck that. Rent a spring compressor. No one here will tell you that that is totally safe.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunsojr View Post
oh...im also planning on just doing the shock install method where i don't have to remove the coil, but use a jack to keep it compressed while i swap out the shock.
If you never post again we know why....
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
... Fuck that. Rent a spring compressor. No one here will tell you that that is totally safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
If you never post again we know why....
you guys are FUNNY.
that method works just fine.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
you guys are FUNNY.
that method works just fine.
So does renting a spring compressor. My local autozone charges a deposit that is refunded when its returned. It doesnt even cost anything, I always believe better safe than sorry
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
bunsojr's Tacoma Gallery
a bunch of people have stated they feel its safer than renting a spring compressor...not true? those people are still the minority?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunsojr View Post
a bunch of people have stated they feel its safer than renting a spring compressor...not true? those people are still the minority?
I'd stay away from those hand held coil compressors... I just brought my struts to a shop and my friend did them. Call around and ask if you could get it done on a wall mounted strut compressor at A local shop. Shouldn't cost A lot to get it done.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I borrowed a spring compressor from Autozone. Worked just fine.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
stangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud of

stangkeip10's Tacoma Gallery
i've done shocks twice on my tacoma by using the floor jack method and actually felt safer doing it that way over spring compressors.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
1st, I'm not qualified to answer the OP's question
2nd, I'm not qualified to comment on the Spring Compressor / No Spring Compressor Debate.
Nor do I know how to embed a Video.
That being said, here's a Link to a Video posted on TW last November:
video of the no spring compressor method
For those who have not seen it done
I'm posting this with no comment or opinion.

CC