LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

POOR TURNING RADIUS AFTER 6" FABTECH INSTALL??

Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
POWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nice

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
POOR TURNING RADIUS AFTER 6" FABTECH INSTALL??

So I got my truck back a couple of days ago from being lifted...I immediately noticed a noise in my front right CV joint, looked at it and it was loose and the truck didn't seem to make quit a sharp turn as before. I took the truck back and they are fixing the CV joint today but...should the truck normally lose it's turning radius after a lift is installed??
Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Welcome to the world of drop bracket lifts. Loss of turning radius is normal. Steering stops are installed to keep the tire from tearing into the body.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
POWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nice

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa...bummer. You'd think it would be the same or better huh for wheelin sake. Oh well, she still looks freakin sick! I'll get some before and after pics up when I figure out how to post em, I'm computer literate but cant seem to figure out how to upload my build. Thanks Whippersnapper for your continued awesome help!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well technically a 6 inch db lift is not ideal for wheeling. Along with the steering issue the drop brackets hang low and the truck becomes top heavy.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #6

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Another question...does anyone know if the CV joint gets taken apart when installing the Fabtech lift? The dudes who put on the lift are telling me that it is probably a bad CV joint...however it was fine when I gave it to them to install the lift...
Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
i actually had a better turning radius with my 6" lift, over my current 3" set up. but my personal experience doesn't compare to whipper's knowledge

Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
i actually had a better turning radius with my 6" lift, over my current 3" set up. but my personal experience doesn't compare to whipper's knowledge :roll eyes:

As far as I know there are steering stops installed which would hurt turning radius. Right?

Did anyone actually measure before and after?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
yes there are steering stops, which were not removed when i went down to 3"

and no...no true measurements were taken
Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWHANA View Post
Another question...does anyone know if the CV joint gets taken apart when installing the Fabtech lift? The dudes who put on the lift are telling me that it is probably a bad CV joint...however it was fine when I gave it to them to install the lift...
no, they're popped out of the diff though, but left assembled.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/pd...l_FT26026i.pdf

The Fabtech lift includes new spindles. Looking at the spindle in the install instructions, the steering stops are cast into the spindle. It is very possible the stops are longer, causing reduced steering angle.

CV joint damage is also possible when installing the lift, because the driveshaft has to be hammered out of the OEM spindle.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
yes there are steering stops, which were not removed when i went down to 3"

and no...no true measurements were taken
Ok. Just wanted to make sure about the stops. I have never really looked into the system since...I don't want that junk on my truck.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
subbed. interested in outcome of this
Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Ok. Just wanted to make sure about the stops. I have never really looked into the system since...I don't want that junk on my truck.
i was interested when i didnt know what i was doing and 4wheel parts said it was better off road than a cam burg front deaver/ fox rear
Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Just looking at the spindles the stops look longer but in my opinion not enough to notice a difference. Then again...?

Take a look when you get it back, do your wheels go from stop to stop, if so then that's the problem. If not then you've got other issues.

Loose CV? A slight amount of play at the diff is normal, what do you consider loose? What kind of noise?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #16

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
So they ended up putting a new axle in...sound gone now. Thanks all. Pretty cool to have this website with so much knowledge.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
jgray is on a distinguished road
Name: josh
jgray's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my fabtech 6 inch done with 35-12.50's and they rub on the cab mount a little. How many of you guys have done the cab chop and is there a write up?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
Haaann
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Just got my fabtech 6 inch done with 35-12.50's and they rub on the cab mount a little. How many of you guys have done the cab chop and is there a write up?
Chop chop time.