Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Loaded bed squat....

Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
On a mission
theory13 is on a distinguished road
theory13's Tacoma Gallery
Loaded bed squat....

I recently went on a trip to camp at the lake and I had quite a bit of gear in the bed...my question is ...is there a way to keep the rear from squatting...even if I sacrifice some ride quality would be ok...would the Toytec 3 in lift w/ aal help prevent this problem or should I look at an airbag setup to use while towing/hauling heavy loads?.....has anyone else had this problem or been able to prevent it???....any info would be great...thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
a helper-leaf or add-a-leaf would help with the squat, give you a bit more capability, and stiffen the ride a bit...
Old 07-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
How much stuff did you have in it? I've been really surprised by how much mine takes without squatting. I had a 200lb dirt bike in mine with me 140lbs my friend 150lbs and his friend probably 200lbs and it didn't squat much at all.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
On a mission
theory13 is on a distinguished road
theory13's Tacoma Gallery
Well I had atleast 200-250 lbs in the bed....when I said alot of gear I wasn't kidding....my wife, myself and three youngsters in the back...07 DC short bed...I tried to load the heavier stuff towards the cab but still got a little squat in the rear...it was just below being level which seems to be quite a bit of travel for a load that size...thanks for the info....has anyone seen adjustable suspension for the rear anywhere??....
Old 07-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
BAG IT!!! haha...i'm not sure if they have the kits out for the new taco's, but there are air suspension helper kits for other trucks for just the rear to inflate to help the load vs. shocks.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #6

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory13 View Post
Well I had atleast 200-250 lbs in the bed....when I said alot of gear I wasn't kidding....my wife, myself and three youngsters in the back...07 DC short bed...I tried to load the heavier stuff towards the cab but still got a little squat in the rear...it was just below being level which seems to be quite a bit of travel for a load that size...thanks for the info....has anyone seen adjustable suspension for the rear anywhere??....
I guess the DC already has a lot more weight to worry about. I just have a regular cab 4 cylinder 4x4.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah- this is something i would like to get more info on also- I hate seeing trucks or cars with a lot of weight in them sitting with the back end slumped!!! It looks horrible! lol. I am getting the DC and its something that will plague me as my GF has TONS of luggage for any occasion! Plus Im getting this truck so that I can have my gf and I and another couple all load up and go places camping/skiing/sailing and bring all the gear!!!

I am sure any of the hundreds of products out there to help with this on other trucks- will have an application for our trucks!

Anyone want to elaborate? lol
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
Try these joust bumpers (Timbren): http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacotimbren.htm

They only come into play when your bed starts to squat, other wise they they just sit there and do not affect your regular suspension.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Dart4915 is on a distinguished road
Dart4915's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what someone came up with
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t198266.html

They are only $30 bucks and you can pick them up locally. Haven't tried it myself, but I am thinking about it.

My Ride
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2538129
Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Try these joust bumpers (Timbren): http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacotimbren.htm

They only come into play when your bed starts to squat, other wise they they just sit there and do not affect your regular suspension.

^^^ I think we should go with these!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #11

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Anybody tried these? I like the idea of it taking hits off road.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
tacoma is on a distinguished road

tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem with my truck, mine even bottoms out at time's. I have a buddy that works at a dealership and he said that this is a on going problem with 06-07 tacoma's. What he told me to do is call the dealership and complain about it and they will replace the rear leafsprings. Most tacoma's come with 2 leafs and they will up grade it to 3 leafs at no charge. There is a HUGE waiting list to get this done. I've been waiting for a month and a half, (calling every 2 weeks for any up dated times).
The service writer advised me that I am on the list and as soon as the leafs show up he will call me. He also said "just think about how many truck are sold on North America and how many are getting replacement spring, that's why the long waiting list".
Old 07-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
tacoma:
Unfortunately for us here in the USA, Toyota has NOT released a TSB yet for us to upgrade our 3 leaf spring to a 4 leaf spring like you have in Canada now. Until they do, we only have the other solutions for a squating rear end.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
tacoma is on a distinguished road

tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
tacoma:
Unfortunately for us here in the USA, Toyota has NOT released a TSB yet for us to upgrade our 3 leaf spring to a 4 leaf spring like you have in Canada now. Until they do, we only have the other solutions for a squating rear end.
It's not even a TSB. You have to go in and complain about or they won't even let you know about it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
tacoma:
You are confusing a "Recall" with a "TSB". With a Recall, you get a postcard telling you to come in and get something fixed. With a TSB (Techical Service Bulletin), you must come in and complain about something and then it gets "fixed" for free. By the way, your Canadian TSB is 2662 to fix your rear springs.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #16
Flash550 is on a distinguished road
Flash550's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Flash550 Send a message via Yahoo to Flash550
There is a TSB out now here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2gnmocbq5jp
Old 08-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #17
Bfmco7 is on a distinguished road
Bfmco7's Tacoma Gallery
I tried these bumpers and it makes the ride without a load terrible. When the truck does have a load in it it rides like a dream. The problem with the bumpers are that they sit without a load about an inch from the spring... well in turn this causes them to give you a hard ride when you hit a bump becuase the suspension comes up and slams them. But again if anyone uses their truck for construction os something and has a load in there truck everyday, it is very ideal and rides great.. I still have a set if anyone is interested in them.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #18
hokihigh is on a distinguished road
hokihigh's Tacoma Gallery
Check these out.

http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchResults2.aspx?cID=741

I've read that they help out quite a bit.

Hokihigh
Old 08-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #19
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash550 View Post
There is a TSB out now here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2gnmocbq5jp
It says its only for 05'-06's
Old 08-06-2007, 04:10 AM   #20
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, that TSB is for the 05's/06's only. Does that mean somehow this has been changed in the 07's?

I have not tried towing and adding much to the bed yet. But my little Nissan Hardbody compact was able to tow a great deal and carry big time in the bed without flinching because of the Roadmaster.

But hopefully we are not talking about an issue here...200-250 lbs in the bed with some passengers is not much at all.

By the way, I had these on my Nissan pickup for years and they kick butt. I would not go with anything else:

http://www.activesuspension.com/