Notices

SnugTop Cap Overhang

Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
USCG CWO is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: CWO3
Name: Shane
USCG CWO's Tacoma Gallery
SnugTop Cap Overhang

I bought a SnugTop "cab hi" cap for my 2012 DC LB. It overhangs the sides of the bed by almost an inch. I asked the dealer if this was normal and he assured that it was. Anyone else have a snugtop and has this overhang? It doesn't seem very snug to me. I can take pics if you need to see what I am talking about.

Shane
Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
It's designed that way to cover the bed rails.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Yup... Normal.
You'll get used to it. It covers the bed rails without being close enough to hit and damage the paint when road vibrations hit it.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
USCG CWO is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: CWO3
Name: Shane
USCG CWO's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply's. It just looks odd to me for some reason. Guess I will have to get used to it.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen an ARE without the overhang. My LEER has the overhang. I think it looks better with it, can't see the plastic rails that way.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
My LEER has the overhang. I think it looks better with it, can't see the plastic rails that way.
agreed
Old 05-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
I like the look of the Leer overhang, but it does present a new set of problems in designing a lift system for hanging the cap in my garage. I don't want the cap's weight sitting on those edges so am going to have to devise a spreader bar or maybe fab some sort of custom blocks to keep the hoist lines off them.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
I like the look of the Leer overhang, but it does present a new set of problems in designing a lift system for hanging the cap in my garage. I don't want the cap's weight sitting on those edges so am going to have to devise a spreader bar or maybe fab some sort of custom blocks to keep the hoist lines off them.
I had the same thought , I am going to make up a couple protective sub rails from plywood , they would slide under the cap base once loosened and the lift could hoist on them instead of the cap edges
Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Uplander is on a distinguished road
Uplander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post

Id be very interested in seeing your finished design. Do you just use pulleys and rope?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I had the same thought , I am going to make up a couple protective sub rails from plywood , they would slide under the cap base once loosened and the lift could hoist on them instead of the cap edges
Interesting thought. So you're talking about running them longitudinally between the bed rails and cap then? Might have to mull on that for a bit. I was thinking of something with 2x4's running across with lines underneath them. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Id be very interested in seeing your finished design. Do you just use pulleys and rope?
Exactly. Here's what I have on one side of the garage for my roof-top tent. This is a ready-made hoist system, but I haven't been able to find one that will support the kind of weight I need for my cap. I'm figuring on just buying the parts and doing something similar, but will probably add load spreaders in the attic just for safety. And yes, my garage is that big of a frigging mess.