Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Firing a cannon from the tacoma

Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Firing a cannon from the tacoma

So I'm driving down the high-wiggle and I got thinking.. Whay would happen if I fired a cannon out of my truck? And Im not talking some little dinky thing, Im talkin like a full 5-6 foot long mo-fo they used to use on pirate ships.

Forward firing roof mounted at highway speeds I'm thinking it'll snap your a pillers and roll the roof back like a sardine can. But i bet rear firing box mounted would launch you forward. Improving 0-60 times across the board.. need to figure out some form of auto loading on that thing.. hmmm..

The things I will do once I win the lottery..
Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
WTF
Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
So I'm driving down the high-wiggle and I got thinking.. Whay would happen if I fired a cannon out of my truck? And Im not talking some little dinky thing, Im talkin like a full 5-6 foot long mo-fo they used to use on pirate ships.

Forward firing roof mounted at highway speeds I'm thinking it'll snap your a pillers and roll the roof back like a sardine can. But i bet rear firing box mounted would launch you forward. Improving 0-60 times across the board.. need to figure out some form of auto loading on that thing.. hmmm..

You realize how much they weigh?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
ha ha you must have nothing to do today. im no expert when it comes to physics, but stock Tacoma couldn't handle it. reinforced brackets on hood would help. im thinking about the axles too, rotation going one way and the sudden force the opposite may strip gearing in the diffs and tranny
Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Completely cereal right now.

Can't be more then 700-800 pounds??
Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Energy is relative.

Forward or rear-mounted it's going to rip the roof off if it has the power to rip it off in either direction.
There's no relative motion between the cannon and the truck, the energy imparted into the truck will be the same no matter which way it's going.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #11

Gears are built for some punishment though, the stockers can take the added power of being boosted. I'd bet you'd blow a U-Joint before the gears.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Energy is relative.

Forward or rear-mounted it's going to rip the roof off if it has the power to rip it off in either direction.
There's no relative motion between the cannon and the truck, the energy imparted into the truck will be the same no matter which way it's going.
I disagree, mythbusters did a thing on driving forward at 60mph and firing a low power cannon set to fire 60mph opposite direction.

the forces direction definitely matter.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Completely cereal right now.

Can't be more then 700-800 pounds??
The cannon you describe "mo-fo they used to use on pirate ships" weighed in at 2-4 tons. That was dependent on the size ball they shot.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
(I disagree, mythbusters did a thing on driving forward at 60mph and firing a low power cannon set to fire 60mph opposite direction.)

its been done before!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have two explanations for his post:

1. He's drunk.

2. He's been talking to Chris4x4 WAY too much.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The cannon you describe "mo-fo they used to use on pirate ships" weighed in at 2-4 tons. That was dependent on the size ball they shot.
imperial or metric tonne??

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
I have two explanations for his post:

1. He's drunk.

2. He's been talking to Chris4x4 WAY too much.
Well im driving so drinking is frowned upon in these situations.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Cannons usually required a crew of three or four men to effectively fire and reload.