Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Excessive brake Carbon on front wheels

Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
Excessive brake Carbon on front wheels

I have a 2012, my wheels looked almost gray after 600 miles. What's the deal here? Anyone else having excessive brake carbon buildup on their wheels?

600 miles, mostly city driving.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt really notice break dust until i had 6 thousand miles. Then i started to see more of it.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Patrobs is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Patrick
Patrobs's Tacoma Gallery
Im in the same boat. Just over 600 miles and have had to detail the front wheels twice now.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Slam your brakes much? With mostly city driving I'm sure you do. How you use the brakes is the biggest factor into how much they dust.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
+1

New brakes will dust pretty heavily until they bed in. City driving speeds the process, but will always dust heavily compared to highway/country driving.

Keep on top of it... clean those wheels weekly and they'll look good for a long time. Brake dust is metallic and will cause microscratches and destroy your wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
wouldn't shock me to hear that OEM pads are just, okay at best. If it bothers you throw in some high end pads and see what happens.
I disagree.
I've always had great luck with OEM pads... much better than those from the local auto parts stores.
I tried EBC on my motorcycle and encountered a number of issues:
#1 - They list the same part for the rear and right front, OEM listed different parts. The OEM rear pad was twice the thickness of the front (backplates are the same so they "fit" the caliper).
#2 - The EBC pads locked up WAY too easily, riding in wet weather was scary
#3 - They lasted half as long as OEM

Cost was the same, I went back to OEM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
+1

New brakes will dust pretty heavily until they bed in. City driving speeds the process, but will always dust heavily compared to highway/country driving.

Keep on top of it... clean those wheels weekly and they'll look good for a long time. Brake dust is metallic and will cause microscratches and destroy your wheels.

I disagree.
I've always had great luck with OEM pads... much better than those from the local auto parts stores.
I tried EBC on my motorcycle and encountered a number of issues:
#1 - They list the same part for the rear and right front, OEM listed different parts. The OEM rear pad was twice the thickness of the front (backplates are the same so they "fit" the caliper).
#2 - The EBC pads locked up WAY too easily, riding in wet weather was scary
#3 - They lasted half as long as OEM

Cost was the same, I went back to OEM.
I agree here! OEM Pads and Shoes have always lasted longer and worked better in my experience.

I know that better pads and shoes do exist, but you will pay handsome price for them.