1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Excessive brake Carbon on front wheels

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DunhamAll, May 26, 2012.

1. May 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    DunhamAll

DunhamAll [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access cab, MT, TRD OR
    Rear diff. breather, BHLM, Wet Okoles.
    I have a 2012, my wheels looked almost gray after 600 miles. What's the deal here? Anyone else having excessive brake carbon buildup on their wheels?

600 miles, mostly city driving.

2. May 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    I didnt really notice break dust until i had 6 thousand miles. Then i started to see more of it.

3. May 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Patrobs

Patrobs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2012 Dbl Cab Short bed TRD Offroad
    Im in the same boat. Just over 600 miles and have had to detail the front wheels twice now.

4. May 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Slam your brakes much? With mostly city driving I'm sure you do. How you use the brakes is the biggest factor into how much they dust.

5. May 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    wouldn't shock me to hear that OEM pads are just, okay at best. If it bothers you throw in some high end pads and see what happens.

6. May 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

New brakes will dust pretty heavily until they bed in. City driving speeds the process, but will always dust heavily compared to highway/country driving.

Keep on top of it... clean those wheels weekly and they'll look good for a long time. Brake dust is metallic and will cause microscratches and destroy your wheels.

I disagree.
    I've always had great luck with OEM pads... much better than those from the local auto parts stores.
    I tried EBC on my motorcycle and encountered a number of issues:
    #1 - They list the same part for the rear and right front, OEM listed different parts. The OEM rear pad was twice the thickness of the front (backplates are the same so they "fit" the caliper).
    #2 - The EBC pads locked up WAY too easily, riding in wet weather was scary
    #3 - They lasted half as long as OEM

Cost was the same, I went back to OEM.

7. May 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I agree here! OEM Pads and Shoes have always lasted longer and worked better in my experience.

I know that better pads and shoes do exist, but you will pay handsome price for them.

Products Discussed in

To Top