Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Parking brake adjustment

Old 05-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
korny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud of

Name: John
korny351's Tacoma Gallery
Parking brake adjustment

Judging by the number of threads concerning Tacoma brakes, I thought I'd relay my experience. '07 Double Cab 4x4. From day one, I was not happy with the brakes but thought that was just the nature of the beast. They always seemed spongy, but from reading the forums it seemed I was not alone. Finally got the urge to see what improvements can be had. It seems that Tacoma owners are of two schools of thought. One says the the rear drums are adjusted by backing up and braking, while the others say that the E-brake adjusts the drums. I tried both ways with zero effect. Reading up in my Chilton manual, I attempted to adjust the rear brakes manually. Their instructions call for adjusting the brake to lock up the rear wheel and then backing off 15 clicks on the star wheel. Maybe it's just me but he drivers side is difficult enough, but the passenger side is impossible to adjust with any accuracy. I can't even see the adjuster much less count clicks because of the position of the shock.

I decided to try a different approach. Chilton says that a properly adjusted parking brake should take 8-10 clicks to reach full actuation. When I depressed my E-brake pedal I counted 15. My thought is that all that extra travel was just taking up slack in the cable and never activated the automatic adjuster. I went to the rear brakes and backed off the adjustment. Then I removed the center console to access the parking brake adjuster. By removing the slack in the cable I was able to get the required 10 clicks at the E-brake pedal. Actuating the E-brake several times I was able to get the rear brakes to adjust and now have a nice firm pedal. I will be keeping my eye on the parking brake adjustment closely for a while, just to make sure I haven't over-done it.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
korny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud of

Name: John
korny351's Tacoma Gallery
Well, took it for a little run this evening, including a 10 mile stint on the freeway. Got out and checked the hubs. Seemed a little warm (not hot) so I'll probably back off the parking brake adjuster a couple of flats just to make sure I'm not dragging the shoes. I'll keep my eye on this for awhile.