Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Questions on some mods I'm considering...

Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
satxcubfan is on a distinguished road
satxcubfan's Tacoma Gallery
Questions on some mods I'm considering...

Hi, folks...
Now that I've had the Taco for almost two months, I think I'm ready for a few mods. Here's what I'm considering...with some questions added:
1. Having the upper fender flares sprayed black with line-x to give the truck a more aggressive look.
2. Chrome Westin bull bar. On p. 53 of my owners manual it states installation of a bull bar can interfere with the operation of the seat belt pretensioners in an accident. And p. 62 says that installation of a bull bar may interfere with air bag deployment in an accident. Anybody have any thoughts on this??? I know Toyota sells bull bars for Tacomas so WTF???
3. Two piece chrome grill snap-ons off of ebay. Anyone do this to their truck? Does it look good? Was installation really just a "snap on" deal?
4. Rubber bed mat. Anyone know a good source for this? I'm looking for a real custom fit. After hauling around some rocks I found in the woods behind my house, (landscaping use in my back yard), I really need this.
5. Neoprene type seat covers and rubber floor mats. Again...anyone know a good source? Preferably genuine Toyota.
Thanks in advance for any info...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i think the fenders being line-x'd black would be cool. more so if its done right!! as far as the bull bar, i honestly dont see that happening with thew seat belt tensioners. here is a link to where i purchased my aries bull bar from...

http://www.4wheelonline.com/...........check out the prices. jmo, the aries looks better than the westin!

not really sure about the snap on grill cover, looks decent to me.

rubber bed mat, i say definitely. and for the neoprene type seat covers, go for it. ive heard they make ya sweat pretty bad, but im probably gonna get me a set pretty soon too!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance
07TRDsport is on a distinguished road

07TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxcubfan View Post
Hi, folks...
Now that I've had the Taco for almost two months, I think I'm ready for a few mods. Here's what I'm considering...with some questions added:
1. Having the upper fender flares sprayed black with line-x to give the truck a more aggressive look.
you should try line-xing the whole truck
Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Dart4915 is on a distinguished road
Dart4915's Tacoma Gallery
For your bed mat, check out this link http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-PT580-3....aspx?MakeID=1

you can also try to print it out and bring it my your local toyota dealer, they should match/beat the price.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TRDsport View Post
you should try line-xing the whole truck
after the abuse my poor truck is getting from the parking lot i'm considering rhino-lining the while thing, top to bottom. then i can slam my door into their cars and see how they like it
Old 07-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
TJOPILOT will become famous soon enough
TJOPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
covers

Hey Cubfan, this was one of my best and easiest mods. I love these things but not cheap. They are from WetOkole.com. Fits like a glove. And don't forget to get the armrest cover too!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Westin bull bar

IMO the bull bar won't interfere with the airbags. Its not that strong and is mostly for looks. It also holds lights of course.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
satxcubfan is on a distinguished road
satxcubfan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the picture of the seat covers, TJOPilot. Was the install fairly simple? I'll be posing my questions about the bull bar to my delership's service/parts advisor, just to put my mind at ease. Now...where in the hell did I put that credit card???
Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Number 4 & 5 definitely.

The bed mat will keep your items from sliding all over the place, and the neoprene seat covers come in handy when coming off the beach, out of the woods, or anyplace else that will leave you covered in stuff you'd rather not have embedded in the more permanent parts of your truck.

Toyota got my money for the bed mat and I'm happy with it. Fits and looks great, as expected.

I went with the Wet Okole seat covers. They're well made, fit tight, and match the interior of the truck well. I never did manage to successfully run and attach the straps under the seats but it hasn't caused any problems for me.

I forget where I got my floor mats from but it's not that critical. While they're functional, there's nothing special about the ones I have.

Good luck with whatever mods you decide to make, and congrats on the new truck!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
seat cover

Hey Cubfan, over on toyotanation.com there is a guy selling the TRD seatcovers in the for sale section. You can find some good things over there. Just don't stay too long. They'll suck you in! And my Wet Okole covers were not that hard to install. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
A2Mich is on a distinguished road

A2Mich's Tacoma Gallery
airbags....

the reason Toyota says that installation of a bull bar may interfere with air bag operation is because the bull bar being in front of the bumper may cause the deceleration forces on the crash sensors to be different, therefore possibly being the difference between the air bags deploying or not. If you look behind the front bumper, the silver boxes with the yellow wires going to them are the front air bag crash sensors. All airbag wiring in newer vehicles is either yellow or has yellow wire loom on it so that people working on the vehicle do not cut or splice into it. As far as Toyota selling bull bars, of course they do, as people will want them. But they put the warning in the owners manual as a liability disclaimer....