Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can TPMS be bypassed?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Spruce Juice is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Spruce Juice's Tacoma Gallery
Can TPMS be bypassed?

I am looking to switch my 16" steelie rims to alloys. With some alloys I have to buy new tire pressure monitor sensors because while my wheels come with 20 degree sensors some alloys take 40 degree sensors. Rather than spend $80/sensor x 4, I would rather not have sensors. I can maintain my own pressures. Always have. Can the system be turned off or by passed? I would hate to have a lamp lit up in the dash while I'm driving so if nothing can be done I would take out that bulb.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the TPMS sensors in a pressurized vessel in the truck
Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Keep the TPMS sensors in a pressurized vessel in the truck
Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Pull the led or do what oz said. Plenty of info to do either.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post

???

People do it all the time.

Here's one that someone here posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post

Pretty simple - I used a valve stem from walmart, 3" dia piece of PVC and 2 PVC endcaps. Cut about a 4" piece of the pipe. Drill a hole in one of the endcaps sized correctly for the valve stem you bought (there are only 2 common sizes, but I don't remember what the correct drill is). Pop the valve stem in from the underside. You'll probably have to gently pull it through with a pair of pliers. Use 2-part PVC primer and cement to attach the non-drilled cap to the pipe. Then wrap your TPMS sensors in some paper towels or something to keep them from rattling around and put them in the pipe. Then prime/cement the endcap with the valve stem in place. Wait 24 hours, then pump it up to 30 PSI and make sure it holds air. Follow your manual on how to reset your light.

Mine has held for 5,000 miles now, no issues. I bought cement but not primer initially, and the chamber didn't hold air. PITA to re-do it, so spring the $5 for the primer and do it right the first time.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
Haskett039 has much to be proud ofHaskett039 has much to be proud ofHaskett039 has much to be proud ofHaskett039 has much to be proud ofHaskett039 has much to be proud ofHaskett039 has much to be proud ofHaskett039 has much to be proud ofHaskett039 has much to be proud ofHaskett039 has much to be proud of

Name: Rob
Haskett039's Tacoma Gallery
Seeems like a pain in the ass...i say put up with the light !
Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
There is a way to "silence" the light.

It involved cutting a wire and, depending on the year, either grounding it, or routing power to it.
Most are using 12v, it really wants to see +5, but personally when I do the mod I'll use 12v with a 5k pullup resistor.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
Interesting pvc deal.

A lot of the people in my car club do that because the TPMS won't fit on the custom wheels that they often have. So something like this is quite common. Some even paint to match the car since it's often stored in the trunk and the cars are brought to many car shows.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
tim allan has a spectacular aura abouttim allan has a spectacular aura about

tim allan's Tacoma Gallery
when I go to work on monday I will see if our tech information system has a option to turn it off,
Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
There is a way to "silence" the light.

It involved cutting a wire and, depending on the year, either grounding it, or routing power to it.
Most are using 12v, it really wants to see +5, but personally when I do the mod I'll use 12v with a 5k pullup resistor.

I have yet another way

take small piece of 1/2" long electric tape
place over light on dash

in all seriousness though I don't even notice mine on any longer. You get used to it after a while.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskett039 View Post
Seeems like a pain in the ass...i say put up with the light !
How hard is it to glue 3 pieces of pipe together ?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
over60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

over60's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I have yet another way

take small piece of 1/2" long electric tape
place over light on dash

in all seriousness though I don't even notice mine on any longer. You get used to it after a while.

That's what I did when my spare tire sensor rotted off....I ain't paying $50.00 for a new one... I don't see the light anymore....

Don't make your tape any bigger than 5/8" x 5/8" square or you might block the other lights....

Works for me...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim allan View Post
when I go to work on monday I will see if our tech information system has a option to turn it off,
Nope.

Federal law all vehicles manufactured after 2008 have to have it.
Toyota started out with an indirect system (read based on ABS sensor readings for wheel speed) as early as 2004 on some models.

There is no software way to disable it, and you will not be able to get a shop to do it through hardware "above board" since it would be a violation of Federal law for them to do so.
Either DIY, or if you have a good relationship with a tech that will do it "under the table" while you have it in for an oil change or something.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
How hard is it to glue 3 pieces of pipe together ?
That assumes you have a working system.

Mine isn't. The light flashes for a minute or so on startup and stays on.
I have 5 sensors in my 5 wheels. They're all at 35psi.

I'm not going to go buy 5 more sensors just to stick them in a tube. If I'm going to buy 5 new sensors, they're going in the wheels where they will work.

But I'd rather just not have the system at all.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Or you can try a strap kit. Dunno how well they work, but maybe worth a shot OP. The link is just from a random Bing search so DYODD as to whether or not this works on your particular setup.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That assumes you have a working system.
I assumed the OP has a working system by his question
Old 05-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Or you can try a strap kit. Dunno how well they work, but maybe worth a shot OP. The link is just from a random Bing search so DYODD as to whether or not this works on your particular setup.
This strap system works on Fords that have TPMS sensors that conform to the inner rim and have slots for the strap to fit through them (strap is more like a giant hose clamp that goes all the way around the rim). The Toyota ones are not meant to that at all.

Ford tpms

Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
I did the disable mod that works on 05-06. Unplug the module and ground the blue wire that goes from the module to the cluster light. Screw tpms.

Theres always a way to disable but you need the wiring schematics.