Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First oil change

Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
FLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
FLAJIM's Tacoma Gallery
First oil change

On a new 2012 4 2.7. In the old day and on my Harley's I always do the first oil change at 1000 miles. The old story was to get all the new metal shaving out of the oil...... anyway the dealership and manual says 5000, what do most of you do ???

Thanks in advance Be Safe and PLEASE THANK A VET TODAY AND EVERY DAY

JIM
Old 05-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I pretty sure that, first oil & filter changes at 1000 miles were done back in the 1950s. I have followed the manufactures recommended oil change intervals for normal driving on every new vehicle I have owned since '77. I've never had an engine failure. Follow the intervals in the owner's manual for your type of driving and you'll be fine. Save money & don't waste our nations resources.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
There no longer is a need for "break in period" for engines these days. Technology has come a long way and oil is so much cleaner as well. I just took my truck in for it's first 5,000 mile oil change 3 weeks ago, you should be fine. Just be sure to mark your oil filter to make sure the dealership changes it!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
I also think that the motors are now made with such tight tolerances that you are fine to go with the recommended intervals right away. You won't find any metal shavings. I did however switch to synthetic.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Op if your worried about your motor do it at around 3000 miles and switch to synthetic
This, though I normally do the first change and switch to synthetic at 1500 or 2000 (whatever is convenient based on work schedule).

I changed my '08 Taco at 200... but I bought it with 53k on it and saw that the dealership used a "Microgard" filter... which is a Fram.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Fury is on a distinguished road
Fury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAJIM View Post
On a new 2012 4 2.7. In the old day and on my Harley's I always do the first oil change at 1000 miles. The old story was to get all the new metal shaving out of the oil...... anyway the dealership and manual says 5000, what do most of you do ???

Thanks in advance Be Safe and PLEASE THANK A VET TODAY AND EVERY DAY

JIM
Hi Jim.

The break in and first oil change issues bring out widely varied opinions.
Thing is, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one and some stink more than others.

Regardless what the 'experts' above say in regards to break in, read your owners manual - it lays out clear guidelines to follow (up to 1600 km) to properly break in your new truck. I have broken in a few new vehicles by following strict parameters on max RPM and throttle application - this one will be no different.

The manual does say to do the first oil change at the same interval as all subsequent changes (6 months or 8000 km - whichever comes first) but my new truck will get its first at 1600 km, when break in is complete. My 1GR-FE has conventional 5w- 30 from the factory and will be getting full synthetic at the first change and all changes after that - every 6 months (Spring and Fall) since I won't normally get 8000 km in 6 months.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to change it early I'd recommend at 2-3k miles .