1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First oil change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FLAJIM, May 27, 2012.

1. May 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    FLAJIM

FLAJIM [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Daytona Beach, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 2WD
    ARE tonneau cover, Electric Pop & Lock tail gate, 2 lighter plugs in bed, Reese hitch/ factory wiring, OEM Bed Extender and fog lights.
    On a new 2012 4 2.7. In the old day and on my Harley's I always do the first oil change at 1000 miles. The old story was to get all the new metal shaving out of the oil...... anyway the dealership and manual says 5000, what do most of you do ???

Thanks in advance Be Safe and PLEASE THANK A VET TODAY AND EVERY DAY

JIM

2. May 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Yeah it's 5,000 on the new 2012's. Used to be 3,000 on first one and every 5,000 after that. Now it's 5,000 on all of them.

3. May 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I pretty sure that, first oil & filter changes at 1000 miles were done back in the 1950s. I have followed the manufactures recommended oil change intervals for normal driving on every new vehicle I have owned since '77. I've never had an engine failure. Follow the intervals in the owner's manual for your type of driving and you'll be fine. Save money & don't waste our nations resources.

4. May 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Op if your worried about your motor do it at around 3000 miles and switch to synthetic

5. May 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    There no longer is a need for "break in period" for engines these days. Technology has come a long way and oil is so much cleaner as well. I just took my truck in for it's first 5,000 mile oil change 3 weeks ago, you should be fine. Just be sure to mark your oil filter to make sure the dealership changes it!

6. May 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    I also think that the motors are now made with such tight tolerances that you are fine to go with the recommended intervals right away. You won't find any metal shavings. I did however switch to synthetic.

7. May 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This, though I normally do the first change and switch to synthetic at 1500 or 2000 (whatever is convenient based on work schedule).

I changed my '08 Taco at 200... but I bought it with 53k on it and saw that the dealership used a "Microgard" filter... which is a Fram.

8. May 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    Fury

Fury Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi Jim.

The break in and first oil change issues bring out widely varied opinions.
    Thing is, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one and some stink more than others.

Regardless what the 'experts' above say in regards to break in, read your owners manual - it lays out clear guidelines to follow (up to 1600 km) to properly break in your new truck. I have broken in a few new vehicles by following strict parameters on max RPM and throttle application - this one will be no different.

The manual does say to do the first oil change at the same interval as all subsequent changes (6 months or 8000 km - whichever comes first) but my new truck will get its first at 1600 km, when break in is complete. My 1GR-FE has conventional 5w- 30 from the factory and will be getting full synthetic at the first change and all changes after that - every 6 months (Spring and Fall) since I won't normally get 8000 km in 6 months.

Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top