1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OR 4x4 or Sport 4x4 ??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by darinmg, May 27, 2012.

1. May 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    Zimaura

Zimaura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    Of road is available in long bed version. Just not for the double cabs.

2. May 27, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Sport doesn't have ATRAC

3. May 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    Goflight2

Goflight2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2011 4x4 LB
    TRD Supercharger Snug top SL Window Tint 5% rear, 35% front, 40% windshield Avid Off Road bolt on sliders Andres Toyota Horns Hard-wired Garmin Nav Weather Techs 5100's in front Rear TSB Bed Extender OEM Roofrack TRD Exhaust Ultra gauge 18" Monster XD's on Nitto Terra Grapplers
    True, true. :cool:

4. May 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Doesn't the name say it all, anyway? You wany a truck for sport looks= Sport TRD (Decorative scoop, colored bumpers and mirrors); You want a truck for off road activity= 4WD Off Road TRD (Locking Diff., A-TRAC four wheel low range traction).

5. May 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    Thanks OZ.......which is why my truck has no skewp.. and i know very lttle about sports.

6. May 28, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The Skewp is available on the TRD Sport , sadly for other Tacoma owners , it is not offered on any other model

7. May 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I hear that a lot , unfortunately many owners are misled by their saleman and don't realize that only the TRD Sport has teh skewpz

8. May 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    As we witnessed here, the fact that only the Off Road has more traction is also unknown.

9. May 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Up here, you can't get the OR in the double cab...or the LB with 6 speed...or the Pre-runner...or Regular cab...

Absolutely love my Tacoma...but Toyota pisses me off for the way they limit the options. And don't even get me started on trying to get the colour I wanted, but couldn't.

10. May 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    Liutas

Liutas Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    SoFlo
    +1. I live in So Florida and had to fly up to Maryland to get the model I wanted with the options I wanted.

11. May 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traction is generated by tires, not the engine or drivetrain. The only thing that will give you better traction is better tires--i.e. having tires appropriate for the conditions you are driving in.

Traction control, atrac, lsd, etc--whatever terms anyone wants to use, does not apply additional traction to the vehicle. Such things simply apply breaking to a tire that is spinning so more torque can be delivered to a tire that is not. More torque does not equal more traction. It equals more power. If your tires cannot apply the needed traction, you arent going anywhere and the free wheel will just spin like the other wheel.

The best thing people can do/buy if they want to offroad is not worying about ATRAC, LSD, etc...it is getting good tires. That, combined with 4x4 will pretty much mnea that the nanny drevices like A-TRAC, LSD will rarely, if ever, be needed. The useless crap tires toyota puts on the stock vehicles in all trims is the issue, not the lack of LSD or A-Trac, lockers, etc.

A bare bones 4x4 regular cab tacoma with quality all-terrain offroad tires will go places with more ease and make a much more formdiable offroad vehicle than a stock TRD OffRoad with the crap Rugged Trails.

12. May 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    It would be hard to put them side by side and point out what one can do but the other can't. Either 4x4 wil perform great off road if you have enough experience and know your limitations.

13. May 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I drive 99% on the street. The sport gets me around in poor conditions just fine. I have never been stuck, but I don't push things to the extreme. If you don't plan on really using the truck for offroading, the sport works just fine, in fact, mine pushes a plow. if you feel you need the adding assurance of having a locker and A TRAC to get you thru some things, the OFF ROAD is your choice.
    One is not "better" than the other, only different.

14. May 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Um, no.
    4 wheels is more traction than 2, so delivering power to all the wheels is making use of more traction than delivering power to only half of them. An open differential will only deliver power to all wheels equally if none are slipping.

15. May 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    ATRAC and locker (especially) are a bad idea in bad on-road conditions (like ice). they will increase your forward traction, but they will make it far easier to spin out sideways.

16. May 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    bubbagumps

Member:
    4x4 is 4x4, whether it is on a truck with an Offroad sticker or a base 4x4 regular cab bare bones model. When someone shifts the truck into 4WD mode, the truck doesn't care if there is a OffRoad sticker on the rear bed. The 4x4 drive will do the same thing. The poster said a TRD Offroad gives you better traction than others. This is rediculous. On a 4x4 vehicle, the only thing that will give you better traction is better tires. Doesnt matter if you lock the rear. The wheels will still spin if the tires cannot bite. Apply the power to one wheel, two, four. Doesn't matter. If the tires cannot bite and generate traction, you arent going anywhere.

I am just saying people are too obsessed with the bells and whistles. Nanny electronics like LSD, A-TRAC, etc are not the end-all and be-all of offroading and performance that people think they are. They have very limited application in reality. They are simply designed to make things a little bit easier when the going gets rough. They are not going to solve your traction issues. Only tires will do that.

17. May 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Following your reasoning, 4wd is pointless, because if a wheel spins then its spinning.

18. May 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    I cant believe that I agree with you.... :eek:

19. May 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Roger! Secret is safe :thumbsup:

20. May 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    bubbagumps

Member:

I am just replying to the poster who said a TRD Offroad gives you better traction than all other vehicle trims. Just because a vehicle has an offroad sticker on it does not equate to better traction. If your tires suck, they are going to spin. I dont care what trim you have, whether you have 4x4 or RWD, or what nanny devices are installed. THe 4x4 gears on a base regular cab is the same as the 4x4 on the truck with an offroad sticker.

It's just that the latter spent $6,000 more for a sticker, a set of crappy shocks, and a few marketing gizmos ala the nanny devices with trendy and techy sounding names like A-TRAC, DHA, LSD, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top