1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intake alignment pin snapped... "Maint. Req." light on. Help please.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DeadWeasel, May 28, 2012.

1. May 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel [OP] ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    09 : 4x4 : 2.7L : 5spd
    32" BFG ATs, Removed 2nd air filter, Brighter Reverse Lights, ARE Cap, LED maps/dome, ScanGauge II, zXe headlights
    Hi guys -- I desperately need some advice.

I drove 166 miles in one shot for camping -- at the end we went down a pretty gnarly rock road / some wash outs / some boulders. NO 4WD was required to get through it. Speed was regulated for the obstacle, no real jarring occurred. It was probably 1.5 miles of this. We check out a campsite, it sucked, so we went back. Totaling 3 miles of this.

We drove back along a dirt road to the other site about 1.3 miles away, parked, hiked and camped for 3 days, then came back to the car.

I started driving the car and about a mile or so into the drive the 'Maintenance Required' light came on [EDIT - I now know this is for 5K oil changes only -- DeadWeasel needs to RTFM more]. I stopped and the first gas station and check it out.

The top half of the airbox / intake had shifted towards the front of the car by about 1/4 inch. It snapped the alignment tab that runs past the MAF grounding wire. I could see about an 1/8 inch gap where it snapped but noticed the whole seam was gapped at about 1/8-1/16 of an inch.

So I had driven along a dirt road for 2 miles (nobody in front of me, no noticeable dust in the air) then 45 mph on paved roads for a mile until this was discovered.

Being out in the middle of BFE and it being memorial day, there was no dealership, no shop open, etc. I had to superglue the alignment tab back to the intake top, then clean and duct tape it.

I then proceeded to drive another 160 miles back home because I couldn't figure out another option.

My questions:

1) Could enough dust have gotten into the crack to hurt the engine? How would I know? What should I do (seafoam/ oil changes/ etc)?

2) Is the maintenance light on because the MAF sensor got dirty? Should I just attempt to clean this and see if the light goes off?

3) Do I need a new airbox tomorrow or can it wait a week or so?

thanks guys -- I hate plastic parts on cars.. :(

EDIT: Apparently the light only comes on for oil changes. I am currently learning the RTFM rule. Now that this is clear for me -- what about the airbox?

2. May 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    The maintenance required light just means the counter in the computer has hit 5k miles and wants you to reset it after changing the oil.

Tape over the crack in the meantime to keep crap out and replace it when you can. Sounds like you need an oil change anyway, if the light is on and you havent done it in a while. Couldnt hurt anyway.

3. May 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel [OP] ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    32" BFG ATs, Removed 2nd air filter, Brighter Reverse Lights, ARE Cap, LED maps/dome, ScanGauge II, zXe headlights
    I just hit 3k since my last oil change. Is that the only reason that light would ever come on?

4. May 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    As far as I know, it is only a counter that ticks off 5k miles. It's to help you to remember your oil changes.

5. May 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel [OP] ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    Man I feel like a dink.

Sooo, what about the gapped airbox and broken tab on it? This still seems like a problem.

6. May 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Tape it so it doesnt have a gap and get to it when you can. You might avoid dirt roads if possible. As long as more dirt doesnt get in in the mean time, you should be fine.

7. May 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel [OP] ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    It's sealed up now, I re-aligned it and re-clamped it. So the only gap at that point was the 1.5 inch piece that broke off -- now glued and taped back on.

Should I run seafoam or anything to clean it all out?

8. May 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    This could have been broken a lot longer than you think? It might be worth checking the inside walls of what ever is past the gap. If you see any dirt buildup it might be worth doing some cleaning? I wouldn't do sea foam you could just flush dirt right into the engine.

9. May 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Seafoam just eats up the gunk and burns it out. I dont think it would have much effect on dust contamination. I would think the oil change would be most beneficial.

Is the gap on the engine side of your air filter? I'm not sure exactly where you are talking about it being broke. If your filter is still between the dirt and your engine you should be fine as long as it is sealed off good.

10. May 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yup.

Any dust in the intake should be cleaned out as best you can (completely disassemble the intake down to the throttle body), but you'll be replacing that anyways, but other than that, there's nothing you can do about dirt that's already been pulled into the engine. For the most part, it's already done it's damage. Seafoam is not going to do anything.
    Hopefully the oil filter is up to the task and filtering the majority of it out, but seriously, I'd go with 2,000 mile oil change intervals for the next 3 or 4 changes then go back to 5k.

11. May 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel [OP] ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    I'll get the oil done tomorrow. The throttle body needs to be replaced?

12. May 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    No... Just soak a lint-free rag down in Seafoam and wipe out as much dust as you can above, on, and below the butterfly.

13. May 29, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel [OP] ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    Ok. Will Do. Thanks for all the input guys! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top