Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Downsizing Tires. Recommendations?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
cdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura about

Name: Christopher
cdn_bacon's Tacoma Gallery
Downsizing Tires. Recommendations?

I currently have a 3" OME lift kit w/ KMC XD122 Enduro wheels wrapped in 285/70/17 E ply Nitto Terra Grapplers. I've got maybe 20,000 miles on them and after alot of recent interstate trips for motorcycle racing and such I've just come to realize I don't like the "comfort" of the ride. I love the look and around town the truck is great but I need to change something to make it more practical for longer road trips. So, what can I do? I was thinking of some new smaller tires etc.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
you could easily step down to a 265/70r17 and get a C rated tire. that would be a softer tire than the heavy E rated as well as a slightly smaller tire so that you may gain back a couple mpg's all while keeping it looking good. in essence you would drop from a 33" tire to a 32" and take about an inch off the width of the tire as well as open up the oppurtunity to get out of the heavy E rated only tires.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
you could easily step down to a 265/70r17 and get a C rated tire. that would be a softer tire than the heavy E rated as well as a slightly smaller tire so that you may gain back a couple mpg's all while keeping it looking good. in essence you would drop from a 33" tire to a 32" and take about an inch off the width of the tire as well as open up the oppurtunity to get out of the heavy E rated only tires.
x2. 265/70R17 is a good sized tire for the Tacoma in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
cdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura about

Do you think the tire would look too small with the 3" lift? Tire recommendations... pictures are plus
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
The Wheel and Tire section of the forum has loads of threads about all tires. Most notable is this thread, stickied at the top:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...res-tires.html
Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_bacon View Post
Do you think the tire would look too small with the 3" lift? Tire recommendations... pictures are plus
Personally, I don't think they look bad. If you wanted to keep the same height, maybe look into 255/75R17 or 265/75R17 (You might have trouble even finding a 265/75R17, not sure if that size even exists).
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, a 265/70R17 (265/75R16) and a 2"-3" lift provides the perfect balance of tire and wheel well.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is some pics of mine i have a toytech 3" 5100/Eibachs and top plate. Some pics are 265/70/17 BFG AT's on stock Sport Wheels the others are 265/70/17 Goodyear Authorities on Ultra Rogues. I like the look personally i dont think they look small but thats just me.
Attached Thumbnails
Downsizing Tires.  Recommendations?-img_0478.jpg   Downsizing Tires.  Recommendations?-img_0458.jpg   Downsizing Tires.  Recommendations?-img_0461.jpg   Downsizing Tires.  Recommendations?-img_0758.jpg   Downsizing Tires.  Recommendations?-img_0619.jpg  

Old 05-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
IMHO, a 265/70R17 (265/75R16) and a 2"-3" lift provides the perfect balance of tire and wheel well.
i agree. a 265/70/17 will look right at home on a 2-3" lift. if you get a tire like BFG AT, it will have a more squared sidewall which makes it look bigger compared to other brands/models.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
I have 265/75/R16 Continental CrossContacts on my TRD Offroad wheels (same overall size as a 265/70/R17 on the TRD Sport wheels). I have a 2.25" lift in the front and the TSB w/ ToyTec 1.5" AAL in the rear. I'm happy with the setup.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #11

They don't look bad at all, but I know they're. It going to look as good as my 285's How come I never see people running 270 or 275? Just not a common size?

How are this BFg at's? Quiet on the road? Trying to compare to my terra grapplers, I can feel everything in the road with them and they Are a bit noisy on the highwAy, although it could be due to the E ply and being so stiff.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They don't look bad at all, but I know they're. It going to look as good as my 285's How come I never see people running 270 or 275? Just not a common size?

How are this BFg at's? Quiet on the road? Trying to compare to my terra grapplers, I can feel everything in the road with them and they Are a bit noisy on the highwAy, although it could be due to the E ply and being so stiff.
Some sizes are just odd balls that manufacturers stay away from. They will create whatever there is a demand for.

BFG ATs are great tires. I've been running a set of Maxxis Buckshot Mudders for almost a year now, which I feel is a great tire as well for being MTs, but the BFGs are so much quieter, smoother, lighter, and overall better daily driver tire. I wouldn't trade my Buckshots for them, but I will definitely recommend them to anyone. It's a proven tire throughout all these years.