Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Houston....I got a problem

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Houston....I got a problem

Had the guys over on Saturday to help install my new lift. Things went well but while I was under the truck with the skid plate off I noticed a ton of oil in the engine bay and on various lower areas of the truck. The truck has NEVER leaked oil EVER and I park in the exact same spot every day. I've yet to see a drop on the pavement below it.

So here's what I find when I'm under there. It would appear as though I'm leaking oil from the front crank pulley seal. There is no oil above that area but everything lower than it seems to have oil on it. In the second and third pictures you can see a small droplet of oil collecting on the crossmember bump and also on the oil drain plug. I think the oil leak is up front but the wind from driving blows it back.

Has this happened to anyone here?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, I checked my oil level and it's fine.....
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
No but mine has started to leak from the right side head. I figure as long as I keep oil in it it'll be good. I feel for you man, those main seals are a pain to replace and burn up a bank account in labor costs.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood

I've read of other people having the timing cover leak but I didn't see indications that the leak was that high up.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Just now noticed it... first pic: is that tube covered in "splatter" possibly from the main (crank) pulley right there?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood

Looks that way. The area under the idler pully seems a bit cleaner in the pic. My guess is it's the front main seal on the crank pulley. Just wanted to get some opinions.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
I have replaced the crank seal. It is not difficult. The hardest part is getting the crank bolt off. It is held on by 200 ft-lbs. If you have an impact and a compressor, you will be a head of the game.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Spray it down with some degreaser and wash it clean, or wash it down with brake clean, then monitor it closely to be sure of the source. It does look like the front crank seal, the timing cover leak usually happens on the passenger's side and I think an '09 should be in the clear with the update, and yours is dry there. As said, not a big deal once you get the crank bolt out.

Are you over milage for powertrain warranty on your '09?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
For a very slight leak I would use the infrared dye technique. The auto stores around here have the dye. You just add it to the oil and it glows under UV light. It's very easy to find tiny leaks with that stuff. I would clean the engine first so you have less gunk in the way.

Here's what i'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Product.../dp/B000JFHNTM

I can buy the dye in a single bottle here, and you can find UV lights cheap.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #10
Sounds Gooooood

I have the 100k mile warranty that was purchased with the truck. Should cover stuff like this to my knowledge. I'm going to take her in and see what they say. If I have to replace it myself I might give it a go.

I do have an impact wrench but how the hell would I get it in front of the crank pulley? Seems like that would require taking out the radiator and fan no?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #11
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know if you need help. I live in Ft Worth.....plus I know who to ask when I need an impact wrench
Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The crank pulley is torqued to 184 ft/lbs. I doubt an impact will take that off. Most use a long breaker bar to remove it.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I have the 100k mile warranty that was purchased with the truck. Should cover stuff like this to my knowledge. I'm going to take her in and see what they say. If I have to replace it myself I might give it a go.

I do have an impact wrench but how the hell would I get it in front of the crank pulley? Seems like that would require taking out the radiator and fan no?
The fan and radiator have to come out.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #14

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The crank pulley is torqued to 184 ft/lbs. I doubt an impact will take that off. Most use a long breaker bar to remove it.
I have done it both ways. You need a fair size compressor.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
FTW
Old 05-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #16
1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

EM–166

1GR-FE ENGINE MECHANICAL – ENGINE FRONT OIL SEAL
ENGINE FRONT OIL SEAL
REMOVAL
  1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL
  2. REMOVE V-BANK COVER (See page [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]ES-414) [/COLOR]
  3. REMOVE RADIATOR SUPPORT TO FRAME SEAL LH
    (See page [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]CO-15) [/COLOR]
  4. REMOVE NO.1 ENGINE UNDER COVER SUB- ASSEMBLY (for 4WD and Pre Runner Drive Type)
(a) Remove the 4 bolts and engine under cover.
  1. REMOVE FAN SHROUD (See page [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]CO-15) [/COLOR]
  2. REMOVE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY (See page [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]EM-45) [/COLOR]
  3. REMOVE TIMING GEAR CASE OR TIMING CHAIN CASE OIL SEAL
(a) Using a screwdriver, pry out the oil seal.
NOTICE:
Be careful not to damage the crankshaft. Wrap a tip of the screwdriver with tape.

INSTALLATION
  1. INSTALL TIMING GEAR CASE OR TIMING CHAIN CASE OIL SEAL
    • (a) Apply MP grease to a new oil seal lip.
    • (b) Using SST and a hammer, tap in the oil seal until its
      surface is flush with the timing chain cover edge.
      SST 09226-10010
  2. INSTALL CRANKSHAFT PULLEY (See page [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]EM-30) [/COLOR]
  3. INSTALL FAN SHROUD (See page [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]CO-20) [/COLOR]
  4. INSTALL RADIATOR SUPPORT TO FRAME SEAL LH
  5. CONNECT CABLE TO NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL
    Torque: 3.9 N*m (40 kgf*cm, 35 in.*lbf)
  6. CHECK FOR ENGINE OIL LEAKAGE
  7. INSTALL ENGINE UNDER COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY (for 4WD and Pre Runner Drive Type)
(a) Install the engine under cover with the 4 bolts.
Torque: 29 N*m (296 kgf*cm, 21 ft.*lbf)
8. INSTALL V-BANK COVER
(a) Install the V-bank cover with the 2 nuts.
Torque: 7.5 N*m (76 kgf*cm, 66 in.*lbf)
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
My impact wrench is rated at 550lb/ft
Quote:
The fan and radiator have to come out.
Lovely....
Quote:
30 gallons should be enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C271 View Post
freaking step by step instructions OUT OF NO WHERE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post
Let me know if you need help. I live in Ft Worth.....plus I know who to ask when I need an impact wrench
Really....y'all are the best. If I can't get it done by the dealer I'll PM you in the near future.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
No but mine has started to leak from the right side head. I figure as long as I keep oil in it it'll be good. I feel for you man, those main seals are a pain to replace and burn up a bank account in labor costs.
Crank seals? They actually pretty easy to replace by yourself. True they cost tons of money when you go to dealer.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My impact wrench is rated at 550lb/ft

Lovely....

30 gallons should be enough

Really....y'all are the best. If I can't get it done by the dealer I'll PM you in the near future.
Dont use impact wrench on crank bolt. Unless you want to screwup oil pump gear or round the crank bold and had to replace half of engine to get to it.
Takes one man two wrenches and that crank bolt comes of easy. No need for impact. Also you need something to hold pulley to tighten the crank bolt back to spec.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
Sounds Gooooood

It rained here today so I went out on a drive to get the undercarriage clean. Worked like a charm. I'll be calling the dealer later this week. I'll keep y'all updated.

Products Discussed in this Thread