1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Better gas milage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CLof143, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    CLof143

CLof143 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    Since this is my first post, I figured I would try to make it helpful. (Fair warning, this is just my experience, and I know that there are many factors effecting fuel milage.)

My 2012 TRD Offroad seems to get better milage on fuel WITH ethanol than without. My 2.5L four pot car got better milage when I ran ethanol free fuel, so since I bought the truck in Feb, I've been putting non-ethanol fuel in it. The other day, I put straight high test in it and saw a small increase in mpg. I'm not talking anything major, but with fuel costs what they are and money being tight for most, it's worth saving a few bucks wherever you can. If nothing else it gives you a bit more cash to spend making your truck your own.

So, if you run the 4.0L V6, and have been running non-ethanol, give regular fuel a shot and see if helps. Worth a shot, right?

2. May 31, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    How have you determined this? Ethonal is an oxygenator, thus requiring more fuel to keep the proper a/f ratio. Many many hours of research has resulted in 90% of sources saying E-10 provides less mpg.

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    E-10 has less energy than pure gasoline, but it is harder to burn and resists detonation. The 4.0 retards the ignition timing when knocking is detected (from regular 87 pure gas), and advances it when there is no knocking.

The actual loss in fuel efficiency for E-10 is far less than most people report. Usually, E-10 is associated with winter gas, which is less efficient because it has a much higher proportion of butane relative to longer carbon chains in order to have a higher vapor pressure and be more easy to burn than summer gas. This false association leads people to believe that E-10 will have about a 10% drop in fuel economy. For this to be the case, it would have to store precisely ZERO energy. In reality, it stores 90% as much energy as pure gas, so E-10 stores 99% as much energy as pure gas.

If retarding the timing causes a 4% loss (for example), than E-10 could easily yield lower fuel consumption.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Raz4back

Raz4back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    My 2012 DC OR (4300 miles on the odometer) is averaging 19mpg. Every fill up with E0 87 octane has yielded 20.3 or better mpg. The best mileage running E10 has been 19.5mpg with the worst being 17.9.

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    The stoich ratio of ethanol is a lower number than that of gasoline. It's 9:1 instead of 14.7:1. (see http://ethanolpro.tripod.com/id213.html)

IIRC the stoich ratio of E-10 is 14.0:1. That means it takes 5% more fuel mass to run E-10 than straight gas under cruising conditions.

Maybe the ethanol-free fuel you were getting was lower octane stuff... the V6 tends to like some knock resistance so that could explain your mileage difference.

Products Discussed in

To Top