1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Wheel bearings destroyed and "welded to hubs"....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tuckdaddy, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    tuckdaddy

tuckdaddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    So ive somehow managed to obliterate the front wheel bearings and essentially weld them to the hubs.. due to friction and heat. The dealership cant press them out so im getting all new hubs and bearings! i havent been wheeling in awhile and havent tweaked the truck bad at all i do have 94,000 miles on my tacoma though. thoughts on how i may have destroyed them?

Working on pics if that helps any opinions would be apperciated as ive never broken this before..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

itll be on the lift until tuesday at the soonest...

2. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm going to bet on dealership incompetence.

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    tuckdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    yeah i go in and have everything checked every 5,000 miles or so when i do the oil and rotation of the tires and major services done.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I think he means did you ever have the bearings pulled and re-packed with grease.

I can tell you right now I won't. Replace or bust.

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    tuckdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    id bet ive heard some pretty bad stories of dealership incompetence. im just glad everything is warrentied though. i just am confused as to how it happened espically since i maintain my truck extremely well. ive had them greased that done at the 30k 60k and 90k services so i repack them about every 30k

6. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    tuckdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    about every 30k or so

7. Jun 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    tuckdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    im not too sure i am running spidertrax and 285/75/r16 KM2's right now. ive also added the best pics i could get sorry if they're not too good they were taken off an evo

8. Jun 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    If they really wanted they could get them off. I've replaced 3 front bearings on friends trucks that were welded on from the heat. Just pry the old bearing apart, then cut the inner part most of the way and you can crack the brittle steel and slide it off.

9. Jun 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    tuckdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    im just trying to figure out what can cause a properly maintained bearing to fail all of the sudden with no tweaks or hardhits to the front end. i think they techs dont want to do all the work of prying the bearing out so theyre just replacing the wntire thing on them hub included due to my warrenty.

10. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Well the truck has 94k miles, thats not a bad life for a wheel bearing on a rig with oversize wheels/tires. Some go longer sure, but I hear of a lot only lasting around 60-70k so by that measure you've done pretty well on original bearings. At least its not that expensive of a part.

11. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    1C271

1C271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I would like to know how you packed these every 30k??? The bearing is a complete assembly pressed in and are a non-reusable part if removed. You would have to at a minimum remove it to repack any grease right?? Just curious, these are a sealed for life type bearing to my knowledge.

12. Jun 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM
    Exrace

Exrace Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Loaded
    Water could have seeped in and destroyed the grease.

13. Jun 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    tuckdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    Thats what i thought it could be but these are a totally sealed bearing right? im not sure how theyve been packed as ive had the dealer do this. But im only 4k after my last service (90k service) and had the bearing repacked, so i was just trying to get an idea as to how i broke them and "welded" them to the hub as id prefer not to leave my taco at a dealership for a week and a half...

14. Jun 2, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    1C271

1C271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Do you actually have a receipt being charged for packing wheel bearings?? If you do they charged you for doing absolutely nothing. Or if they included in your 30 60 90k they may have checked it off on a sheet but the didn't do anything. No worries though because there is nothing to do, they last as long as they last.

15. Jun 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    Toyotacerttech

Toyotacerttech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 double cab 4x4 TRD
    The Bearings are sealed they cannot be taken apart and repacked.

16. Jun 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Exrace

Exrace Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Loaded
    If the attachment nut is overtightened or there is some other issue like a bent shaft (possible) that could accelerate the failure.

I would guess the nut was overtighteneded by some tech with an air impact wrench.

17. Jun 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    They had a good life at 90k especially with oversized tires and wheel spacers. They wear out, the truck isn't new anymore, don't worry about it. Mine did not last that long. I replaced mine around 75k. And people are correct in telling you the bearings are sealed and not one you repack. Run it till they die and put new ones in.

18. Jun 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    If you look at your old work orders for 30, 60, and 90 I would bet it says inspected and greased prop shaft. If it says greased front wheel bearings I would be talking to Toyota USA, as others have said they are sealed and not serviceable.

19. Jun 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I think once they are on the truck they are no longer accessible, however, when they're new they do come apart.

IMG_4922.jpg

20. Jun 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

X2

No shop is pulling sealed bearings and packing them with grease. Those are lubed for life. The only thing that's greaseable on these trucks is the u joints on the 4x4 driveshafts.

It's really common to buy this type of bearing already pressed into the hubs. The mechanic might not be able to get them out of the hub, he might not feel like dealing with it, or they might not be able to get the bearing seperately without a lot of hassle or going to aftermarket suppliers.

If I had to guess, they didn't even try to press them out and just ordered the full assemblies. My dealer doesn't seem to stock anything other than filters and spark plugs. Had they been thinking of you and your need for transportation, they could have simply given the wheels a shake, declared the bearings to be bad, then let you drive the truck for the weekend and come back on Tuesday. No need to disassemble to come to this conclusion.

Products Discussed in

To Top