Notices

Rust coming through white paint around windows

Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Edmonton Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Brock
Edmonton Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Rust coming through white paint around windows

Hello everyone.

I drive almost exclusively pavement highways.

I have almost 60,000kms on my 2010 TRD DBL CAB Tacoma.

Do any of you have the same rust issues coming through around your windows? There are no rock chips, this looks to me like the rust is coming through from the bottom - on all four windows, see pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust coming through white paint around windows-1.jpg   Rust coming through white paint around windows-2.jpg   Rust coming through white paint around windows-3.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ryan27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
06ryan27's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a warranty issue to me
Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Veteran
Name: Day Cowboy
Day Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Brock, I don't have any coming from around my windows, but I have a tiny spot on the driver's side of my hood. A very tiny spot, however I noticed it while I was washing it yesterday. My truck hasn't been offroad but once. Mostly highway miles on mine. I just thought it was bird crap, however, after a closer look, I noticed a pencil lead spot on my hood.

Something I will definitely be talking with my local dealership about come Monday!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Thanks for the confirmation I'm not losing my mind. I have regular rock chips in the paint on top of the hood and on the side of the body in a few places (right through to the metal underneath), and those spots have yet to rust. So yeah, this is a bit unique. I bought the dealer's protection package too, so I'll be having an interesting discussion with the dealer.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Your truck is a 2010..maybe it could be rail dust from when the truck was delivered? Have you tried to compound/claybar them off?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
Show it to dealer ASAP. White is the worst for showing rust in paint.

Just reread.....dealers paint protection=full coverage of this ccccrraappp
Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Syncros is on a distinguished road
Syncros's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like tar stains from new asphalt or crack sealing in your area. My dads white F150 has the same little tar stains all over it. You may not notice tiny bits of tar on your paint, and they leave stains over time. Im sure it would come out with a clay bar.

Seeing as how you spend a ton of time on pavement I bet this is what we are seeing. Is the truck washed frequently? Ive only driven through Edmonton once, they must do a ton of pot hole filling, crack sealing etc.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Yes see dealer. And I second the rail dust. If the truck was detailed properly before you picked it up you wouldn't have this issue. This shows poor customer service and that's not the kind of thing Toyota Corp want to hear.

Frank
Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Take care of that asap. Dam that sux
Old 06-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Jay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay9722's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 white access cab and I have that on the inside seam of the tailgate close to the bumper. I think what's happening is my tool box hinges are rusting and when it rains the rusty water is dripping down into the tailgate and leaving the hard water/rust stains. I sprayed all of my hinges with WD40 and then used white grease on all of the toolbox hinges. I also took a microfiber towel and wiped down the rust speckled paint with a little WD40. All of the rust wiped away. I washed the area with soap and water and then put a little wax on it. It was just surface rust, nothing seemed decayed.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Syncros is on a distinguished road
Syncros's Tacoma Gallery
I just thoroughly washed my truck, it has the same little orange speckles as the OP except they are all along the bottom of the doors, box sides and inner lip of the tail gate.

It's tar. And its stained. I have silver streak mica so it's less noticeable. If you want to see rust, take a look underneath.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Took my truck to dealership, and was then told to take it to autobody for a quote/estimate to repair with pictures, and then dealership will submit claim. Will let all of you know the results.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
boostfed is on a distinguished road
boostfed's Tacoma Gallery
i have this as well on my doors, not as bad but its present with some on the roof as well. i have an 07 so i doubt it'll be under toyota warranty...
Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Wow. Surprising news, Toyota has agreed to fix the rust issue around the windows of my Tacoma - I'm supposed to schedule an appointment with the autobody company that prepared the estimate. There is a God(s)!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
From the pics it looks like typical rock chips left to rust out.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
So I just picked up my Tacoma from the autobody shop, all fixed. The shop buffed each mark down to metal and re-painted. I also got new window visors put back on too. Shop owner says that he was surprised that Tacoma agreed to pay for this, but, that he just received another quote-request for the same year, make and model for the exact same problem. Keep an eye out folks! And this was all covered under factory warranty too fyi (ie before 60,000 kms)
Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
And these weren't rock chips, the rusted spots were also on the inside-forward/front edge around each window (ie not facing the road or direction of travel). I also have small rock chips in the paint all over the front of my truck and on various parts on the side of the body (now at 72,000 kms and going), and none of those chips had progressed to rust near as much as these weird spots around the windows.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I have some on mine, same year same color. But my rust spots are turning up on the plastic fenders, took it to my old work (auto body shop) and he told me that it looks like my brakes need to be checked. It's been 30k miles and I've not looked at my breaks yet. But apparently you can get metal shavings that fly out from the wheel wells and adhere to the paint and then THOSE start rusting. Weird.