1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint Chip

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spaghettiedy, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Dec 29, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    Just bought my 09 in Oct., I live in the North w/ rocks and salt during winter, and the color of my truck is Black Sand Pearl. I washed my truck this weekend, and looked to see at least 10 small chip specks, and one 1/8 dime sized chip on my hood. Maybe I just notice it more because it's black or because this color is more apt to chip, but WTF. I've live here my whole life, and no other vehicle that I've owned has ever chipped this bad. Not even close. I'm anal to begin w/ about my vehicles and know that there just really small specks, but multiple that by 8 winters. I'll be driving around a freaking dairy cow.

Thougths from the gallery, particularly BSP owners.

2. Dec 29, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I feel for you on this, it's a real pisser.
    Try to fix if you can, for me the outcome never looks like it should, you can also try a deflector of some type during this time of year, or use that 3M clear coating to help.
    No matter what and I hate to say this but you are gonna get the chips. Everytime I sit and detail I see something new, I am to the point that it is something that I need to live with. I fix them as good as I can, and go on.
    I know this doesn't help, but believe me "I feel for you". :(

3. Dec 29, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    I live in buffalo ny and we use rock salt, i dont even have 1 chip on my truck? I also have a bug diflector on my hood though.

4. Dec 29, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i have the same thoughts..Just washed and waxed my truck yesterday, and found 2 really good ones. Im thinking of getting a new glass hood and put some of that 3m clear bra stuff on it.

5. Dec 29, 2008 at 7:50 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Don't follow other cars/trucks so closely after they put the gravel/sand down.

6. Dec 29, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    No offense, but I really don't like the look w/ the sport hood scoop. BUT, I guess if it works then I should give it a try. Thanks

That's the kicker! I don't travel close to other car/trucks at all. I think most of the stuff is coming from oncoming traffic.

7. Dec 29, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Yeah, that certainly contributes. I'm surprised that you've never had problems on other vehicles. Paint chips and broken windshields are inevitable on any vehicle around here. I looked at a white '05 before I bought my '09 and it looked like the guy had driven directly behind a snowplow dropping gravel for several miles... it had terrible paint chipping and oxidation.

8. Jan 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM
    Airwolf NSX

Airwolf NSX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    I hate rock chips.. but i think i have a more realistic view now where i must accept reality.. rock chips on a daily are inevitable..

However, if you drive a collectable car (e.g. NSX, FERRARI, etc..) just clear bra the entire front.. hood too.. but on a tacoma, doesnt' make too much sense to clear bra the entire front as a job like this costs $2k+ for a good install.

9. Jan 10, 2010 at 1:16 AM
    Airwolf NSX

Airwolf NSX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    wow, we're similar to miles.. i have about 590 miles too.. first rock chip too.. oh well, i'll live with it..

Products Discussed in

To Top