LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Paint Chip

Old 12-29-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Paint Chip

Just bought my 09 in Oct., I live in the North w/ rocks and salt during winter, and the color of my truck is Black Sand Pearl. I washed my truck this weekend, and looked to see at least 10 small chip specks, and one 1/8 dime sized chip on my hood. Maybe I just notice it more because it's black or because this color is more apt to chip, but WTF. I've live here my whole life, and no other vehicle that I've owned has ever chipped this bad. Not even close. I'm anal to begin w/ about my vehicles and know that there just really small specks, but multiple that by 8 winters. I'll be driving around a freaking dairy cow.

Thougths from the gallery, particularly BSP owners.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
I feel for you on this, it's a real pisser.
Try to fix if you can, for me the outcome never looks like it should, you can also try a deflector of some type during this time of year, or use that 3M clear coating to help.
No matter what and I hate to say this but you are gonna get the chips. Everytime I sit and detail I see something new, I am to the point that it is something that I need to live with. I fix them as good as I can, and go on.
I know this doesn't help, but believe me "I feel for you".
Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I live in buffalo ny and we use rock salt, i dont even have 1 chip on my truck? I also have a bug diflector on my hood though.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i have the same thoughts..Just washed and waxed my truck yesterday, and found 2 really good ones. Im thinking of getting a new glass hood and put some of that 3m clear bra stuff on it.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Don't follow other cars/trucks so closely after they put the gravel/sand down.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 106Tacoma View Post
I live in buffalo ny and we use rock salt, i dont even have 1 chip on my truck? I also have a bug diflector on my hood though.
No offense, but I really don't like the look w/ the sport hood scoop. BUT, I guess if it works then I should give it a try. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
Don't follow other cars/trucks so closely after they put the gravel/sand down.
That's the kicker! I don't travel close to other car/trucks at all. I think most of the stuff is coming from oncoming traffic.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
That's the kicker! I don't travel close to other car/trucks at all. I think most of the stuff is coming from oncoming traffic.
Yeah, that certainly contributes. I'm surprised that you've never had problems on other vehicles. Paint chips and broken windshields are inevitable on any vehicle around here. I looked at a white '05 before I bought my '09 and it looked like the guy had driven directly behind a snowplow dropping gravel for several miles... it had terrible paint chipping and oxidation.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Airwolf NSX is on a distinguished road

Airwolf NSX's Tacoma Gallery
I hate rock chips.. but i think i have a more realistic view now where i must accept reality.. rock chips on a daily are inevitable..

However, if you drive a collectable car (e.g. NSX, FERRARI, etc..) just clear bra the entire front.. hood too.. but on a tacoma, doesnt' make too much sense to clear bra the entire front as a job like this costs $2k+ for a good install.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Airwolf NSX is on a distinguished road

Airwolf NSX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbolas View Post
i found my first rock chip today @ 550 miles. chip happens. i'm pretty good with the touch paint. i keep filling it until you cant hardly see it. white is easier to touch up.
wow, we're similar to miles.. i have about 590 miles too.. first rock chip too.. oh well, i'll live with it..