1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

With all the talk of the '05 motor mounts... Should one buy one used?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jedirye, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Dec 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Yeah,
    So I've been searching for a used Taco for a little while now. I've got my heart set on a Speedway blue access cab. I've seen them around but the question arises: If I found an '05, is the risk of the motor mounts failing worth it? Keep in mind I wouldn't be the original owner nor do I know if the warranty is still contingent (let alone Toyota admitting the problem and agreeing to fix it). There seems to be a few variables I suppose... Is it worth it?

-rye

2. Dec 29, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.
    the tacoma in general is one hell of a truck. IF there are motor mounts failing i would assume that later on down the road toyota HAS to take care of the issue. its a safety thing, so a voluntary or mandatory recall should be issues. I would say even with a few TSB's, and the mount issue, I wouldnt drive anything else.

If its worth it, thats a personal thing, but i could almost guarantee that there are lots of us that would buy again knowing about the issues.

Hope this helps

3. Dec 29, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Well I just thought Toyota was giving a few people a hard time about these motor mounts. Not to mention, I wouldn't even be buying it new so I don't even know how the warranty issue is going to come up with there. Given the newer models with the reinforced mounts, is it an issue of how many were affected or how long yours will be affected? I don't want to get screwed...

-rye

4. Dec 29, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Also I work with someone at work who is driving an '05 Taco and I forwarded them the links but they keep saying "My truck is driving fine, nothing is wrong". They are not checking their truck. I can't even check it because I'm not even remotely close to being mechanical and although there are pictures of the mounts, not WHERE TO LOOK....... eh?

5. Dec 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    br217398

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.

heh sounds like somebody i work with too.... both have 06, but mine is the 4 access cab, his is the six double..... i have no issues with mine, but he refuses to check his.... one of the can't see it, its not there kind of thing i guess......

Toyota has been giving issues from what i hear as well, but there havent been enough complaints documented for them to warrant an immediate fix

6. Dec 29, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    br217398

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Since its Used, you do have the right to have an independent inspection done on any vehicle here in FL. Tell a mechanic about the issue and have them look at it, or try and meet up with another forum member thats in your area and have them take a look...

Thats the best way to check the mounts unless you want to know how to do it, id be more than willing to pm you where to look

EDIT: and what to look for

7. Dec 29, 2008 at 9:23 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Hey BR217398, the truck I'm actually looking at is in GA (another one, at least)! So it's hard to get it inspected when I'm soooo far away. But once again, say it is inspected, is it a matter of time or what??

-rye

8. Dec 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM
    br217398

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    if it looks fine, and you dont go offroading, your fine... if you plan to off road, then it is just a matter of time.... I feel............:rolleyes:

9. Jan 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    esse10

esse10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    05prerunner SR5 DBLCAB
    I own an 05 and haven't seen any mount problems, but than again I don't off-road or pull a boat with my truck. I bought it mostly for looks and it has done quite well in attracting women may I add...LOL :p

10. Nov 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    PeachEater81

PeachEater81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gregorio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon C/O, Icon 2.0 Resi's, LR UCAs, Alcan 8 leaf pack, Aero 2525XL, Michelin LTX MS2, Lifetime LED heads and fogs (bad company and product - don't buy), aFe Pro Dry filter, Weathertech mats, Best Top, Hybrid Audio, Arc Amp, Arc Sub, Ram matting, Core/Hurst Short Throw Shifter, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X....
    Same here. I've put 173k miles on mine.

Products Discussed in

To Top