Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hidden CB Install *pics*

Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
younggun is on a distinguished road

Name: Cody
younggun's Tacoma Gallery
thats the exact same place i put mine but i have it laying down at the moment in the center consul, just set it up for a pa system with a speaker under the hood, i just don't know where i want to put my antenna and if i can hook it up to my car speakers through the aux on my after market stereo. Im thinking of putting it on the top of the right side of my bed.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #42
BlackedOutTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
BlackedOutTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
That's a great install, great stuff!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #43
Hhwhitley is on a distinguished road

Hhwhitley's Tacoma Gallery
Killer install and great writeup! I plan to use your great ideas very soon!

How's your range? Any idea how many miles you're transmitting?

Nicely done
Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #44
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. Reminds me of my install.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...tml#post878896

Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #45
aka Alley Opp,
undermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really nice

Name: Mark
undermoneyed's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet job!
Mark
Old 07-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #46
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhwhitley View Post
Killer install and great writeup! I plan to use your great ideas very soon!

How's your range? Any idea how many miles you're transmitting?

Nicely done
Not sure on the range, I have been transmitting locally with guys over 3 miles away, and still Tx/Rx clearly. I haven't done any "REAL" open-range tests.

On a different note, my used Cobra 19DX from the '80s crapped out on me during the last trip. It was only $10-USED, so it was kind of expected. I replaced it with a new Cobra 19 DX IV. The only downside is I can't see the little back-lit LCD when it's mounted in the original location. I have to tilt it forward to see the screen....oh well. Just a heads up to anyone with that (or equivalent) CB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db View Post
Looks good. Reminds me of my install.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...tml#post878896

Thanks man, I was thinking of going this route after seeing your write-up, but it looked a little TOO advanced for me. After all was said and done, I also received this reply....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Nice job, but there's an easier way

^^^ I never knew this thing existed. Oh well, I think I still ended up paying a lot less, and it turned out pretty badass.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #47
joe2w1 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Armament Systems Craftsman
Name: Joe
joe2w1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Nice job, but there's an easier way

I currently have this one installed in my 2010. I love it. The box is mounted behind my dash on the driver side where my fuse panel is. When i don't want the mic hooked up, i fold down the nifty lil storage bin in front of the fuse box and thats where i can disconnect the handheld until i need it next time.

Nice job though!!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #48
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Well, finally getting around to doing this. Have had stuff for months and a bad case of procrastination with a dose of evershifting project priorityitis. Anyway, doing the center console thing on mine. Got the control box in place on back of console and wire run to door frame. I need a longer coax cable to hook up antenna, connect pwr / grnd & hook up quick disconnect on ground wire for antenna so it can ride behind the seats until needed. Don't want it slapping garage coming in and out since it has the adjuster on top. Not sure if I'm gonna stay with the fold-down option like in the pic below..............

Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #50
buyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nice

buyobuyo's Tacoma Gallery
Nice How-to and install. Where does the antenna end up in your field of view while you're driving? Any possibility of a picture from the inside looking out?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #52
devman80 is on a distinguished road

EMS: ems with local company
Name: Dev
devman80's Tacoma Gallery
i wonder if this would work.. mounted to the box of the truck.. with a grond wire ran to the chassie??
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #53
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by devman80 View Post
i wonder if this would work.. mounted to the box of the truck.. with a grond wire ran to the chassie??
Should work, that's what I'm doing with mine in the pic above. I'm using a quick connect too so I can disconnect ground from antenna and put it in the cab behind seat when not in use just leaving the coax and mount in place in bedrail.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #54
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: '90-96
Name: Eric
Spruced UP's Tacoma Gallery
Glad this thread got bumped. I was reading through my Owner's Manual the other day (new truck; had to do it) and I noticed a strong caution with regard to installing CB radios, due to interference to the electronics. It seemed like it was more than just obligatory lawyer speak, so I wonder if there's a real cause for concern. I have an older Cobra 25LTD that I'd love to install, but I don't wanna mess up anything. :skeered: LOL
Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #56
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruced UP View Post
Glad this thread got bumped. I was reading through my Owner's Manual the other day (new truck; had to do it) and I noticed a strong caution with regard to installing CB radios, due to interference to the electronics. It seemed like it was more than just obligatory lawyer speak, so I wonder if there's a real cause for concern. I have an older Cobra 25LTD that I'd love to install, but I don't wanna mess up anything. :skeered: LOL
Just do it! Fugettt abouditt!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Should work, that's what I'm doing with mine in the pic above. I'm using a quick connect too so I can disconnect ground from antenna and put it in the cab behind seat when not in use just leaving the coax and mount in place in bedrail.

why not leave the coax and run it under the truck?.. but do you have a actual ground going to the truck.. not just the antenna coax to the cb... for good single you need a base to bounce off of?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #58
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by devman80 View Post
why not leave the coax and run it under the truck?.. but do you have a actual ground going to the truck.. not just the antenna coax to the cb... for good single you need a base to bounce off of?
In that pic, the coax hadn't been run yet. The coax going from the cb in the cab to the mount will stay in place. The ground wire coming from the antenna to the frame is what has the disconnect on it so the mast can go behind the seat when not in use. When antenna is in use it will have ground going to frame. The signal will bounce off the roof of the cab and or hood. Not the best for every direction maybe but good enough for my uses. Won't be trying to pull in people 20 miles away or halfway around the world but should be plenty to pick up the weather bands and talk 5 miles away or so.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #59

thats the info i was looking for.. thanks alot.. ill just run the grond wire with a lil slack just to make the bend.. or im thinking of making a bracket to run between the cab and box.. to go up over my trifold cover.. im going to install the cb and i have a inline booster in the center storage