Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hidden CB Install *pics*

Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #61
CookieMonster is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Wil
CookieMonster's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up! I'll be doing something very similar soon. I do have the 19DXIV though and was wondering what you meant you have to tip it forward to see the LCD screen? Is it possible to cant the mount and accomplish this? I was also thinking of mounting the CB on the forward side of the console vs. the passenger side. I'll also be trying to find a longer mic extension cord so that I can mount the mic just forward of the gear shift.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #62
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Nice install...

Couple tips:

*Never run CB coax near any other wires as it will interfere with reception. Having it under the main wire harness is a big no no.

*CB mounted in center consul will not be heard on the trails (I know - learned the hard way). I ended up putting an aux speaker on mine.
Also if you run any power. The rf will get into the wires n f**k with the computer.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #63
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
Excellent write up! I'll be doing something very similar soon. I do have the 19DXIV though and was wondering what you meant you have to tip it forward to see the LCD screen? Is it possible to cant the mount and accomplish this? I was also thinking of mounting the CB on the forward side of the console vs. the passenger side. I'll also be trying to find a longer mic extension cord so that I can mount the mic just forward of the gear shift.
The original 19DX had a digital display (similar to an alarm clock) that was clearly visible from any angle.

The newer 19DX IV has an LCD readout which is hard to read without tipping it towards you. Though, you shouldn't have any problem if you mount it in the front of the center console.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #64
Squirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Squirrel cage's Tacoma Gallery
I just got this done, and love it! I can still use pretty much the whole console. Hidden CB Install *pics*-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357021161.945928.jpgHidden CB Install *pics*-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357021181.820462.jpg
Thanks for a great write up Bensonx! By the way I ran into the same issue with putting the mic extension cable about 1/4" too low. (Read your post about it after the fact) I found that an old gift card made everything pop together with out chewing up any of the plastic.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #65
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Was it pretty simple running the wire for the microphone extension cable? I am thinking about putting mine where you have yours or up by the auxiliary audio hole between the 2 cigarette outlets
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #66
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
Was it pretty simple running the wire for the microphone extension cable? I am thinking about putting mine where you have yours or up by the auxiliary audio hole between the 2 cigarette outlets
Yup, super easy. You just need to notch the plastic cap by the console's front hinge and drill a hole. I would suggest using a punch to mark the hole before drilling, so you know it will clear once you pop it all back together.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #67
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Sorry one more thing, that black metal bar that attaches to the top piece of the center console, does the microphone extension cable get pinched at all from that bar? It seems like a pretty tight fit.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #69
dakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dakota
dakotasyota's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome write up! It was super helpful and everything just looks so clean. I did everything the same 'cept ran the antenna to the bed. I ended up running the coax through a drain plug under the carpet and into the console. It was way easier than going through the firewall grommet, haha, I had to push a 4 gauge power wire through there for my amp and that was hell.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #70
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotasyota View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome write up! It was super helpful and everything just looks so clean. I did everything the same 'cept ran the antenna to the bed. I ended up running the coax through a drain plug under the carpet and into the console. It was way easier than going through the firewall grommet, haha, I had to push a 4 gauge power wire through there for my amp and that was hell.
No problem man! Thanks for the feedback

Funny you say that about the plug. I recently installed a 2M Radio, and found a "filler plug" grommet in the firewall that worked perfect for the coax. I drilled a hole in the middle and squeezed it through, worked great!

I still ran the power/ground through the main boot, and it was still a pain in the ass.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #71
CampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: [SSG] Intelligent special force
Name: Dmitry
CampGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CampGuy
Very nice CB hidden mod!!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #72
Fatguy64 is on a distinguished road
Fatguy64's Tacoma Gallery
Just a good ole Wilson 1000 or 5000 magnet on the roof works for me. I did like the compactness of the smaller radio. My 'big' radio could never fit like that tho (cobra 148)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #73
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
Concealed Cobra CB

I had that Cobra all-in-mic CB unit in my previous rig for 12 years and left it in when I sold the vehicle. It's a nice idea, convenient for driving. Control everything one-handed without taking your eyes off the road. The installed box is small and easy to locate. Unplug the mic, remove the bayonet antenna, and no one would know you have a CB.

It's not a great quality radio. It doesn't have a very strong transmitter and its reception requires more fiddling with squelch than I would like. The mic got too warm to hold in my lap while I drove.

As with any 2-way radio, be sure the antenna extends well above the highest metal part of the truck, otherwise your signal is mostly absorbed before it gets out. Tall fiberglass antennas are as annoying as whips going through brush or limbs. I trimmed my aerial just below the height of my open garage door. I re-wrapped the copper and resealed the tip with heat shrink.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #74
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've complimented your truck before. I'm going to be using this for ideas as I begin my install.