1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing brakes w/o removing brake line.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BeeRadd, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Jun 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    :anonymous:i have been doing the channel lock method since i was a kid and thats long ago:anonymous:

2. Jun 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    yes it was :D :p

I used a small trim pry bar and pressed against the old pad... been doing that method for 15 years

3. Jun 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    Brianz1001

Brianz1001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Retired on my couch with a cold beer in my hand
    too much to type
    brutal gets it too.. they had channel locks that far back? jk :)

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Ok... Or, you could open the bleeder and not use tools at all, which sounds easier to you? :rolleyes:

The way you said it sounded like you were using channel locks against the piston itself, which is why I commented like I did.

5. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Opening the bleeder sounds like possibly entering more air into the lines, requiring more bleeding than necessary (if I said that right). I would think it would make more work than necessary. Do garages normally bleed the brakes after replacing rotors and pads?

6. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You should to flush out all the old brake fluid although I wouldn't be surprised if most shops don't bother with this step as long as the pedal is still firm after the pad replacement.

Even if you don't open the system, a brake fluid flush every couple of years is a good idea in my opinion. If you think about it, brake fluid doesn't move like other oils so the oil right next to the pads goes through constant hot/cold cycles and never gets cycled with fresh fluid. Bleeding or flushing the system puts fresh fluid next to the pads and forces out the old stuff.

7. Jun 15, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    Brianz1001

Brianz1001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Retired on my couch with a cold beer in my hand
    too much to type
    No they don't bleed the brakes everytime they do a brake job. Some do offer flushing the system which is good but extra money. Toyota doesn't recommend brake flushes with there cars, not like Honda they have it in there maintence schedule to do so.

Toyota has a height requirment from the the floor board to the pedal they go by. If they need bleeding I do it. I like the job to be done right the first time. don't want people back for re-work.

8. Jun 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Actually, The "correct" way is to NOT squeeze the old fluid back up the line and into the master cylinder again. Contamination can occur.
    Personally, I never open a line if I don't have to. I never worry about it either, nor have I ever had a problem.
    As a pro, I used channel lock pliers all the time against the old pad when doing a caliper that allows for it. (24+) years and running.

9. Jun 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    brake fluid is NOT oil, for the record.

10. Jun 15, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    brake fluid is NOT oil, for the record. Some are mineral oil based although.

11. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Sorry, misspoke... you get the point though...

12. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    It is fairly easy. Just get a plastic bottle that is about 16 oz size and a tube that can go from the bleeder to the floor. Put about 1/2 cup new brake fluid in the bottle. Put the tube on the bleeder and down in to the bottle to the bottom of the fluid. Crack open the bleeder and start pumping the peddle. When the brake reservoir gets to min refill, repeat. Use clear tube so when you see fluid coming out of the bleeder is clear it is good. Add cat litter to fluid in bottle then throw away (or if you are a redneck dump in back yard).

13. Aug 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I was thinking the same thing......should always have the rotors resurfaced when changing pads.

14. Aug 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Around here I can't find anyone who turns rotors any more, including Canadian Tire. Called every garage in town. Normally I wouldn't just install new pads, but the rotors were still almost triple minimum thickness, and were so impossibly smooth to the touch, you'd have swore they were new if you didn't see them, just felt them. First time I'd ever done that, but considering I got somewhere around 100k out of the first set of pads, I figure even if I get half of that with just replacing them, I'm still ahead of the game. If I felt ANY ridges, I wouldn't have done it.

15. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I've done lots of brakes in my time....but I haven't seen anyone mention anti-squeel plates or applying anti-squeel? All vehicles I've ever worked on needed either anti-squeel plates or spray applied.

Do the original brake pad have anti-squeel plates on them that need to be reused? My new OEM pads do not have them.

Or - is this not necessary with dual sided pistons style brakes? I've never had a vehicle with dual sided pistons before.

We plan on removing everything and having the rotors turned.... just need to find time to do all this.

16. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm pretty sure my autozone pads didn't come with anti-squeel pads and I had to reuse the anti-squeel plates when I did mine. I know I have anti-squeel pads on mine, and I'm 99% sure they were the re-used OEM ones. Once everything was in place, I blasted everything with brakekleen to remove any residues, oils and brake dust. I did remove the pins, give them a light sanding and apply grease to them.

I also found that the price to turn the rotors was within $10 of buying new so, I went new.

17. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    My rule of thumb that I use to change disc brakes is if the oem pads had metal shims I always take them off the old pads and put them on the new. New disc pads do not come with shims, or at least the one's that I have ever bought. Take the old shims of the old pads and clean them up, then apply a light amount of the orange anti-squeel between the metal shims and the new pad.

18. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    People take off the brake line to replace fixed caliper brakes? That's interesting

19. Aug 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so they do exist. I didn't see anyone mention them in previous posts. The brakes on my 96 had them and I had to reuse them. Wow...can't remember how much it costs to resurface but I don't think it was anywhere near the cost of new. We have a local garage who's done resurfacing for us in the past and they're very inexpensive. It's just a matter of coordinating the truck downtime to the garage hours. :rolleyes:

We do the same...clean old plates up and spray with anti-squeel spray. Clean up the pins. We have special grease for the pins.

Thanks Gang!

20. Aug 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Only the dumb ones do.

:p

Products Discussed in

To Top