1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to lift..... Maybe.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by afireman, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Jun 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    afireman

afireman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Brooksville FL
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR
    Removed ashtray
    I've done a few searches but either get lost in the lingo, or the thread changes directions after a page or two. I want to run 33s on my 12DC Sport 4X4. Consensus is that a 3" leveling kit up front and 1"+ AAL in the rear will accomplish this. That, and some BFG KM2s on MT Classic IIs and i'm set right? So I thought. The local lift shop had thrown in some warnings that concern me.
    1) With the OEM wheels being lug centric, replacing them with hub centric after market wheels might create a steering vibration?
    2) most after market wheels have a hard time clearing calipers without spacers?
    My goal is to maintain factory ride as much as possible. I won't be flexing but do occasionally run light trails, nothing that factory won't run. I'm in it for the better more aggressive look of 33s, not necessarily the capability. Can't tolerate a steering wheel shake. I don't mind keeping the TRD wheels but would paint them black if I kept them. Any input, especially from experience with same would help. Thanks!

2. Jun 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    You're mechanic is right about the lug centric/hub centric. I got a nice death wobble at 45-60mph directly after installing my new wheels. I also had to get Spidertrax spacers to clear my front calipers, but that's only because I did not do my research on the wheels and didn't get the correct offset.

If you really want 33"s, you can put them on the stock wheels. They'll look fine, plus you wont have to worry about them hitting your calipers. However, you will need spacers. Stock TRD Sport offset with 33"s will rub against your UCA's.

3" lift will be perfect. but with only 1" AAL you may have a little "bro lean".

3. Jun 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    1. OEM wheels are hub centric. Aftermarket are lug centric.

2. lots of people on here running aftermarket wheels w/o spacers. It all depends on the back spacing and offset you get with the wheel that determines if they will hit.

4. Jun 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    16" + wheels generally won't hit, and a lot of people including myself run MT Classics

Do some searching on backspacing. Proper backspacing will alleviate the need for spacers

I believe the classic locks are 16x8 with 4.5 bs or so, which will clear

3" front and 1" rear sounda pretty nose high to me

5. Jun 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    285's with stock wheels. No spacers. I only rub at full lock to the left. Been driving it like this for a couple months. I have LR UCA's though.

[​IMG]

6. Jun 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    afireman

afireman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Brooksville FL
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR
    Removed ashtray
    So regardless of price, whats the best way to accomplish 33s without changing the factory ride and with no shake?

7. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    OME or Toytec 3" kit with some aftermarket UCA's.

8. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    afireman

afireman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Brooksville FL
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR
    Removed ashtray
    Do you have any steering shake? What wheel size/BS?

9. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    Get wheel spacer, if you want to save some money on tires, treadwright are retreads and they are great i've had them for 40k miles with great tread wear, and cost a lot less. You can get the OME shocks, and an aal. But getting new UCA's would be good also. Also factory ride is really soft, when you add the new shocks it will be stiffer, you can try OME with 884 coils which are softer but you won't be able to add weight like a bull bar, or new front end.

10. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    If you're concerned about tire rubbing:

- go an 8" wide rim with 4.5" backspacing for best chance of fitting 285 width tires. You'll still have to trim a bunch of plastic inside the wheelwell - or rub - or avoid turning full lock.

If you're concerned about clearing the calipers:
    - Most (not all) 17" wheels fit. Some 16" wheels fit.
    - pick a wheel and google this site to see if anyone's mounted that particular rim on a tacoma successfully.

For example, to find my wheels, type the following into images.google.com

procomp 7005 tacoma site:tacomaworld.com

If you're concerned about wheel balance vibrations: go to a big shop that does LOTS of aftermarket tires and has a road force balancer. Make sure they install new centering lugnuts with extended threads.

11. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    I wouldn't preface the question with "regardless of price" because people will tell you Icon or King with Resi's. I would get a budget then shop around. If your budget is 1000, I'd go OME, if its 800 then 5100 with Ebichs, ifs its 600 I'd go 5100s and keep the stock springs. If its 300 then just go front spacers. Especially if your looking at just clearing 33's.

That's just my opinion

12. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    The main thing for a better riding truck - if you're willing to add a little money to your budget - is go full rear leaf pack replacement instead of "add-a-leaf."

Lots of folks like the OME Dakar leaf pack - assuming you haul stuff in your truck bed. If it's always empty all the time there are a couple other ones sprung very light that ride soft and have lots of droop for four-wheeling. But that's not consistent with how you say you use your truck.

13. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    afireman

afireman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Brooksville FL
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR
    Removed ashtray
    3" lift kit with Bilstein 5100 Height adjustable Coilovers, LR UCAs, Konig Countersteer Off Road 16X8 w/4.5BS, and BFG KM2 with proper balancing and alignment. Sound about right?

14. Jun 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Pretty much my setup, however I have 265 tires instead of 285's. Minor steering vibes once in awhile. Nothing constant or severe though.

15. Jun 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    afireman

afireman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Brooksville FL
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR
    Removed ashtray
    Yeah, I was checking out your build. I like it a lot. I wish I could get the Konig in a 17", but otherwise almost perfect.

16. Jun 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Konig does have a 17" that some have used, albeit it's a different style. I would have liked a 17" wheel as well, all my other options I was looking at were 17".

17. Jun 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    That'll do it.

OME would be the only thing I would do differently.

The 17" konigs are called type x. There's a thread on here with a guy selling them. Only real aesthetic difference is the spokes so to say are flat instead of curved out.

18. Jun 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    drade

drade BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Short Cab Silver
    TRD PRO skid plate, wet kole seat covers, tint all around, red line tuning quick Lift system, paint protection film, gloss blacked out OEM emblems, electric start, heated seats.
    I was in your shoes at one point. Lifting my truck was the best thing. Ome's lift kit is great. It has dual disc technology and is pretty dam responsive for the off-roading I do. Toytec is my supplier when I am in need. Lift your truck, get aftermarket UCA's if you don't live where they dump a lot of salt and sand in the winter, and you'll be fine. Like many stated, add-a life is affordable, but a full lead replacement is better. I wish I could afford one, but I just don't do hardcore off-roading like many on this site.

19. Jun 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    OP keep in mind that a larger tire can also cause shake* in the steering if you don't adjust the caster further back.
    In some cases, the shake is not a result of lug centric wheels but because of a poor alignment. It's not recommended to run a lift and larger tires with factory spec alignment as the larger tires needs to be further back to compensate.

A safe alignment for a truck with 285's and 2.5-3" lift:
    Caster (3.5) to (3.8) degrees
    Toe: (-0.1) to (-0.2) degrees facing slightly / \ allows for a centered feel
    camber: (0) to (-0.5)

With the added caster you may rub on the rear frame by the firewall that can be compensated by cutting.

20. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Day Cowboy

Day Cowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Day Cowboy
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TX TRD 4x4
    AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Toytec Ultimate 3' Lift, LR UCAs, WeatherTech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    About to order my Ultimate Bilstein lift next week. Super stoked about it! Gonna keep the stock TRD 16x8 wheels (because I like them and no one around here has any that I have seen!). Going with 285/75/16 tires (just not sure which brand yet).

The wife wasn't too happy with me about it. Sometimes it is just easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top