Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sliding rear window issue ???

Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Sliding rear window issue ???

My tacomas rear sliding window has a latch attached to it but there is nowhere for the latch to click to. It almost looks as if there is a plastic piece is missing for the latch to attach to. When I turn on my heater fan, i can hear a whistling comming from the rear window around the seal. If I ever so gentley press the window the whistling goes away. (Very strange) Is there a plastic piece missing for the latch and can I fix this issue? Thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
My tacomas rear sliding window has a latch attached to it but there is nowhere for the latch to click to. It almost looks as if there is a plastic piece is missing for the latch to attach to. When I turn on my heater fan, i can hear a whistling comming from the rear window around the seal. If I ever so gentley press the window the whistling goes away. (Very strange) Is there a plastic piece missing for the latch and can I fix this issue? Thanks
do you have any pictures? I just slide my rear window hard over and it latches closed.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
do you have any pictures? I just slide my rear window hard over and it latches closed.

Here is a picture of the issue. The latch doesn't come close to this piece on the right...you could slide the window from the outside if you really wanted to.
Attached Thumbnails
Sliding rear window issue ???-img_3225.jpg  
Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like its not closed all the way. Gotta push it till it clicks
Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #5

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Looks like its not closed all the way. Gotta push it till it clicks
I slid the window to take the picture..I can slide it both ways but there is nothing for the latch to click to. It just slids both ways....it looks as if there is a piece missing.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Just went and looked at my 05, your pic is a little hard to see, but on mine the area is raised I would say almost 1/4" for the clip to engage on, by the looks of yours, it is missing.
I did some close looking, and it appears to my eye's that their are two pieces welded/(sonic)glued together. I may be wrong on this, but my two cents worth.
If missing and a concern of someone getting in now, get a piece of dowel (square) rod or piece of alum. and cut to fit tightly. This will help before you get it looked at.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you are sliding over enough. Make sure the track is clear and the latch is working.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #9

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
Just went and looked at my 05, your pic is a little hard to see, but on mine the area is raised I would say almost 1/4" for the clip to engage on, by the looks of yours, it is missing.
I did some close looking, and it appears to my eye's that their are two pieces welded/(sonic)glued together. I may be wrong on this, but my two cents worth.
If missing and a concern of someone getting in now, get a piece of dowel (square) rod or piece of alum. and cut to fit tightly. This will help before you get it looked at.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Upon another look, the piece you are showing is the bottom piece on mine missing the top.
come again.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #11

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I don't think you are sliding over enough. Make sure the track is clear and the latch is working.

I slid the window over to take the picture. The window slides fine both ways but there isn't a raised piece attached so the latch can click to. It almost looks as if there is a plastic piece missing.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #14

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think you are right, here is mine

I think you have just answered my question...thanks for the help..looks like I need to find this piece somewhere. Do you think it I could get it at a dealership or something?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #16
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
I think you have just answered my question...thanks for the help..looks like I need to find this piece somewhere. Do you think it I could get it at a dealership or something?
or a junk yard.
hopefully, they won't charge you as much as the dealer (check dealer price first!)
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #17
Santi will become famous soon enough
Name: Santiago
Santi's Tacoma Gallery
Hello

I am on the same situation, with that latch part missing, I checked at a local dealership in SoCal and they do not sale parts for this latches, in other words, they told me that I should look at a junk yard or buy a new and complete rear sliding window and that is what I am doing in a search for in the local SoCal junk yard.

Good luck

Santi.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
bachm is on a distinguished road
bachm's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Latch missing on window

When I bought our Toyota Certified used 2009 standard cab Taco, the latch was missing. They had to replace the complete back window at their cost. They couldn't find a used one. So I got a new one!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #19
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have access to my truck now, but is it possible to drill through the metal and attach a metal lip for it to hold?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that piece is def missing. Mine snapped off when i reached back and shut the window too hard once..... theres 2 sided tape that holds it on and 2 very small screws with torx heads. i cleaned the tape off mine and put it back on with epoxy. I'd say check junkyards and smack it off with a mallet. ha. good luck.