Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hunter Truck Wholesale Grille Guard

Old 12-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
nitrus5 is on a distinguished road
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
Hunter Truck Wholesale Grille Guard

Anyone out there have pictures of this grille guard on their trucks??? Or had experience with them??
this price and free shipping is hard to pass up on. I was looking for just a light bar but this is the price of a good light bar and has the brush guards.

http://www.huntertruckwholesale.com/?ITEMID=GT-811
Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I think 'LonghornTaco' has the hunter on his truck... but I could be wrong...
Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
My wife has a similar grille guard on her 4Runner. They provide great protection (from deer) but are a pain in the ass when washing and detailing the front end.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
I think 'LonghornTaco' has the hunter on his truck... but I could be wrong...
LonghornTaco has a westin grille guard.

i just ordered a hunter brush guard from ebay.......should be pretty good. got decent reviews.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
LonghornTaco has a westin grille guard.

i just ordered a hunter brush guard from ebay.......should be pretty good. got decent reviews.
eh... figured as much... that's ok... they all look about the same...
Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
eh... figured as much... that's ok... they all look about the same...
true dat!!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys i think i'm goin to order one!! tired of messing around
i just wanted to make sure they weren't crap. They look like the fit the curves well.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrus5 View Post
thanks guys i think i'm goin to order one!! tired of messing around
i just wanted to make sure they weren't crap. They look like the fit the curves well.
they should be pretty damn good man!!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
I had one on my 06 F150 that I traded in. I really liked it. But the damn thing vibrated like crazy from the bolt on design. So I threw on some welds and some black paint. Fixed!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by muliefever View Post
I had one on my 06 F150 that I traded in. I really liked it. But the damn thing vibrated like crazy from the bolt on design. So I threw on some welds and some black paint. Fixed!
thats what i plan on doing to mine once i get it. gonna weld up the part that bolts to the brackets, and make it to where it'll basically be one piece when removed.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
EricS76 is on a distinguished road
EricS76's Tacoma Gallery
I got the black hunter grill guard for Christmas. For the price it's hard to beat, but I will be making new frame mount brackets this weekend or at least making some longer gussets. They are a little more than 1/8th inch thick, and the whole grill guard shakes side to side over bumps. Only side to side, not up and down. And it hasn't contacted the body yet. Other than that, the design is good and it fits well. I may add a couple more bars if I can find some thin wall stock, but they are built the same way most other taco grill guards are. Just a little lacking on the mounting brackets.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS76 View Post
I got the black hunter grill guard for Christmas. For the price it's hard to beat, but I will be making new frame mount brackets this weekend or at least making some longer gussets. They are a little more than 1/8th inch thick, and the whole grill guard shakes side to side over bumps. Only side to side, not up and down. And it hasn't contacted the body yet. Other than that, the design is good and it fits well. I may add a couple more bars if I can find some thin wall stock, but they are built the same way most other taco grill guards are. Just a little lacking on the mounting brackets.
you got pics of yours mounted??
Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i have one on my truck no pics though, fairly easy to install fair quality, im getting ready to take mine off and put a light bar on
Old 12-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
I have the stainless Hunter bull bar on my truck. It is excellent. It looks as good as the day I put it on. Hopefully the brush guard is built just as well...

Edit: I did make new mounting tabs for my lights out of stainless. It came with black ones.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
EricS76's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to take some pics, but they turned out bad. Black truck, black grillguard and night didn't look good. It looks exactly like the one on their website.

http://www.huntertruckwholesale.com/?ITEMID=GT-811

What causes the shaking isn't where the grill guard bolts to the frame brackets, it is the frame brackets themselves. They are thin and only have a small triangle gusset that's about 1.5 inches long. On metal that thin, the gusset really needs to be 5 or 6 inches long. (the frame brackets are 10.5 inches long). I plan on makeing my own out of 1/4 inch flat stock or adding alot longer triangle gusset to the origional brackets. Depends on how much time I have. I also don't like the fact that they don't supply black nuts and bolts to bolt the guard to the frame brackets, but we've got a different grill guard on the ranch truck that was twice as much and they're not black either.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
=T=
Tman12 will become famous soon enough

Name: Taryn
Tman12's Tacoma Gallery
Have one and love it. Well worth the money.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #17
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
ok i ordered it.
how long does it take for them to ship it??
should i install it and see how badly it shakes or just reinforce the mounting brackets first then install it??
Old 12-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #18
EricS76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrus5 View Post
ok i ordered it.
how long does it take for them to ship it??
should i install it and see how badly it shakes or just reinforce the mounting brackets first then install it??
I don't know how long it takes to ship, I recieved it as a Christmas present. I would have reinforced it first if I had known it would shake so bad. I drive on alot of dirt roads and it is very noticable. It doesn't move much at all on paved roads. If you don't drive much on rough roads, I would go ahead and mount it. But if you drive on any rough roads I'd reinforce it first. That way you won't have to mount it twice.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #19
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the Hunter brush guard. Oveall its nice, but it has a shake when you hit the bumps. What have others done to fix this problem?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #20
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't look like it fits the lines of the truck well on the 2nd gen. Too wide around the headlights.