1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XM Satellite Radio -- Did you keep it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 3beeps, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Jun 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    ShadesOfGrey

ShadesOfGrey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB, TRD Sport 4x4, MGM
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid CAI, Pro Comp 3" Suspension Lift, 17" Moto Metal rims w/ 33" Pro Comp tires, Powder Coated Pro-Tech Headache Rack & Toolbox
    I subscribed for a while, but didn't renew this month. My ipod does just fine.

2. Jun 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    bigred_d

bigred_d Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    From what I remember, XM has geostationary satellites that sit on the equator, and Sirius has geosynchronous which are always crossing over each other over the USA.

Hence the drop out issues with XM because of not having a clear line of sight over the equator. At some point, the Sirius satellites could be directly overhead providing a better signal.

I'm way farther north (Canada) than most people on this board, so XM is worse up here. With my external Sirius antenna, it could sit on the dashboard inside the car and get a great signal. With XM, I get way more drop outs with the antenna on the roof of my Tacoma. You would think the roof antenna would be better, but it's all about the satellite signal.

Toyota does offer a Sirius kit which should have a much better signal.

3. Jun 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    Didn't renew, went on a 10 hour trip (twice, back and forth) and after hearing the same songs five or six times realized it was no better than commercial radio. If you want a nice experience on long drives use Pandora through your blue tooth. (that is if you have a smart phone and unlimited data)

4. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    davelac

davelac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    Renewed it at the going rate at the end of my trial for my Tacoma, but let it die out in my Honda Civic. Only listen to about a half dozen stations. Gave Pandora a try at $36/yr and I like it better. Signal depends on the availability of Verizon, but have done a few trips with no cut-off. I'll likely let XM run out on the truck and just use Pandora or my stack of CDs in the changer. We'll see.

5. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    Holyfather

Holyfather Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX Pro TRD
    Front Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75"
    No. 33 days worth of music on my iPod always gives me something new to listen to for free

6. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Yep, only pay $77 per year for xm.

7. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I think it is stupid.

I have two thumb drives with 32 gigs of music. Works great. Never get bored of it.

8. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    They called me three weeks into my trial period and offered to extend it for another $2 a month. It's nice they have kid friendly channels that play adult music. But once I have to pay full pop, Im outtie. Ilisten to internet radio for free on my droid, and I get a lot of the same channels, so I'll go back to that.

And up here in Canada, Sirius and XM have merged, and apparently were getting all programming...soon9

9. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    mine's still on, not sure if it's limited channels, but it still works...nearly 2yrs later

:spy:

10. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    hoss 011

hoss 011 Scoops for everyone

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    There have been a few threads on XM (probably more than I bothered to go through). Some people kept it after threatening to cancel and XM offer some random deal to keep them paying. I had the trial, got an invoice for $106 to keep it for another year (obvously cheaper than their $12.95/mo) and I did, although they still f*ed my payment and charged me $2 more after I called them. Basically if they don't keep offering deals they are SOL, so take advantage and barter with them. Local radio around here sucks, but I still get sat coverage pretty much everywhere in California.

11. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM
    toytaco11

toytaco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD 4x4 lwb doublecab
    coming soon!
    my local channels suck so for $25.00 for 6 months I'm happy keeping it. Gotta have my Octane, Hair Nation, and 70's on 7. lol.........

12. Jun 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    I let it run out. Didn't listen to it much during the trial anyway. I'm hooked on Pandora Internet radio. $36 a year for totally commercial free, I can skip songs I don't want to hear, it learns what I like, it hardly ever cuts out and I have it ANYWHERE I have my phone!

13. Jun 13, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    For the record.. this is an inaccurate statement.. Geosynchronous and geostationary are the same thing..

[FONT=&quot]geo·syn·chro·nous[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]adj[/FONT][FONT=&quot] \ˌjē-ō-ˈsiŋ-krə-nəs, -ˈsin-\[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Definition of GEOSYNCHRONOUS[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] being or having an orbit around the earth with a period equal to one sidereal day; specifically : geostationary [/FONT]
    (Geosynchronous - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary n.d.)

[FONT=&quot]Definition of GEOSTATIONARY[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] being or having an equatorial orbit at an altitude of about 22,300 miles (35,900 kilometers) requiring an angular velocity the same as that of the earth so that the position of a satellite in such an orbit is fixed with respect to the earth [/FONT]
    (Geostationary - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary n.d.)

You indicate that sirius Satellites "orbit" by your description. That is true, however their orbit Is considered "HEO" (High Earth Orbit) Vs. Geosynchronous.

"Sirius Satellite Radio uses HEO orbits to keep two satellites positioned above North America while another satellite quickly sweeps through the southern part of its 24-hour orbit. The longitude above which the satellites dwell at apogee in the small loop remains relatively constant as the earth rotates. The three separate orbits are spaced equally around the Earth, but share a common ground track."

(Highly Elliptical Orbit - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia n.d.)

Geostationary - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    N.d. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/geostationary, accessed June 13, 2012.

Geosynchronous - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    N.d. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/geosynchronous, accessed June 13, 2012.

Highly Elliptical Orbit - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
    N.d. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highly_elliptical_orbit, accessed June 13, 2012.

14. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Haskett039

Haskett039 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Alpine White
    My 3 month trial is 5 months old and still running...i know a fellow that bought a 2010 F-150 with a Sirius " Trial " that is still running today! The News, Talk, Comedy & Sports channels are worth it, but i only listen to like 4 music stations and they play the same thing over and over just like regular radio

15. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Did anyone get the call to extend service from the guy that asks if you've heard of the cable guy? He says well I'm the radio guy. He was a pain in the ass and I had to ask him if he was going to shut up so I could tell him I wasn't interested.

16. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    cjcarner

cjcarner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 6MT DCSB
    Rhino Rack roof rack with an Inno fairing, Snugtop Rebel cap
    I still have it. It plays a lot of the same songs repeatedly, but it also has sports, talk shows, etc. I also like just getting into the car and having instant music. I dont want to have to hook up my iPhone every time I make a trip. I pay about $5-6/mo for it based on whatever deal they're offering at the time, so it's absolutely worth it to me. I can manage to afford it.

17. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Have had XM since 3 days after launch. Can't live without it. Commercials suck ass. Changing and finding stations you like every time you go out of town sucks ass. Cant do the Ipod thing. Don't want to have to keep up with downloading new stuff to keep current all the time and futzing with play lists. I'm not horribly picky with what a listen to. I have about 5 stations I listen to regularly. if i get tired of one i switch to another for a while. Well worth the coin for me. The new to me runner doesnt have it right now and its driving my crazy.

18. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    A buddy of mine took his Hyundai in for service about a month after his satellite stopped working (and his free subscription had run out). He said when he got it back, he had accidentally hit the satellite button, it was working, and two years later, it still does.

19. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Cheehoo

Cheehoo Um, I don't have a "member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Southern Utah
    We had it for 8 months after we bought our Dually because the prior owner pre-paid for a year. After it died, the silence in the truck was awkward. j/k

Our radio stations suck ass because I hate country music. Most car rides last maximum 10 minutes here so pandora didn't even kick in (2G) before it was time to get out of the car. CD's can get old really fast.

I miss it, but I still didn't pay because I'm a cheapass. (cheapass meant as ONE word, not TWO.) LOL If it were free I'd dig it. Which is probably why I use Pandora now.

20. Jun 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I'm definitely keeping mine since you only pay once a year. I need to find a better deal next year if possible.

Products Discussed in

To Top