Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Noise when driving in gusty winds around 65+ mph

Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
Noise when driving in gusty winds around 65+ mph

I drove about 100 miles this weekend if very tough gusty winds and there were several times when I could hear a annoying noise either from the windshield or the door. It was constant but everytime that happened, i could feel the strong winds pushing on my truck from the side. Has anyone experience this?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
theflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nice

Law Enforcement: Federale
Name: Tosh
theflyingtosher's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theflyingtosher
a high pitched noise? like a whistling or wind being forced through a small opening? I experienced this in my truck all the time at highway speeds and went to the stealership several times and they said they could never duplicate the issue, nor had they ever had another complaint about it.

The problem was a small gap in the sealant used to install the windshield. I could stop the noise by pushing on the windshield right behind the rearview mirror, but that isn't a comfortable way to drive. If your truck is still under warranty, hopefully you have a better local dealership and they can help you, otherwise any auto glass shop should be able to fix it. I had a bunch of rock chips and just replaced my whole windshield and it's never been a problem since.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
SodakTaco will become famous soon enough
SodakTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have this noise. Here in Wyoming the winds are always blasting out of the west, so I'm pretty familiar with it. I have a friend with another '11 and his does the same thing. Dealer says that's from the design of the hood/windshield/mirror that creates the high speed/high crosswind whistle. I tried taping up all the cracks and seams and it still happens, on both sides of the truck depending on which way the wind hits.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
I think there are quite a few other people who have also noticed this issue.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ind-noise.html
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
i had this noise when I first got my truck, sounds like a kazoo. There is a TSB for this, and my dealership performed it for free the first time i brought her in. Sucks your dealership is fucking you, find another one.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Um, I don't have a "member"
Cheehoo is on a distinguished road

Name: Angela
Cheehoo's Tacoma Gallery
It happens on my 05 DC too, but only on the front windows. I never hear it in the rear of the cab, and it's only when we're going 70 or above on a windy day. If I hold the 'window up' button it will go away but that's annoying so i just turn the radio up.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem too...it always happens when I drive on the salt flats going 75 MPH, the wind is very gusty going from north to south its annoying...maybe I can get it done from the TSB.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
SodakTaco will become famous soon enough
SodakTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
i had this noise when I first got my truck, sounds like a kazoo. There is a TSB for this, and my dealership performed it for free the first time i brought her in. Sucks your dealership is fucking you, find another one.
The only TSB listed here is for the 05 model, is there an updated one for other years?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodakTaco View Post
The only TSB listed here is for the 05 model, is there an updated one for other years?
there should be, the TSB worked for my 07
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
This is the first time it happened to me and I thought something was wrong with the tires or something else. Yes its annoying sound.
I still have 1 year left under warranty on my truck. I will go to the dealer and see what they say.

Any one found the updated tsb for this noise issue that includes 2010 vehicles
Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
\m/ armor on meats \m/
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
You can also use some silicone between the seal and the windshield to get rid of the noise.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
I booked mine at the dealership for this today, had the same issue with my 07.

NV006-07 AUG 07 Body - Windshield Wind Noise at Highway Speeds
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
Weavedaddy is on a distinguished road
Navy: 96-01 Navigation Dept. Signalman, Quartermaster trainee, and all around help
Name: Ryan
Weavedaddy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a recent 11' Tacoma owner and I too have heard this noise in the past year many times at higher speeds heading in the wind. Like a kazoo whistling. Always thought it has been coming from the hood scoop. Has me thinking of changing out the hood to eliminate that sound. It's that annoying!! What has worked the best to resolve this?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavedaddy View Post
I'm a recent 11' Tacoma owner and I too have heard this noise in the past year many times at higher speeds heading in the wind. Like a kazoo whistling. Always thought it has been coming from the hood scoop. Has me thinking of changing out the hood to eliminate that sound. It's that annoying!! What has worked the best to resolve this?
I took mine to the dealership, they were able to replicate the noise. they replaced the windshield and windshield mouldings, covered by warranty.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody hear a sound like tires screeching on a very gusty day? Driving up through the central valley in California, there are some sections that get 50mph cross-winds, and with a speed limit of 70 (I'm doing 72mph) I hear a tire screeching sound whenever a gust hits the truck from either side. Scared the absolute shit out of me first time I heard it.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
Weavedaddy is on a distinguished road
Navy: 96-01 Navigation Dept. Signalman, Quartermaster trainee, and all around help
Name: Ryan
Weavedaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Never have noise from side winds, mainly from head on is where I hear it. Well I'm still covered under the warranty so hopefully the dealership can fix this annoying problem.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #18
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Just throwing it out there that my WeatherTech vent visors make a noise like you're describing in strong crosswinds at the right angle. If you have visors try taking them off or rolling the window down when it happens and see if it stops. . . If not, carry on with the tsb as everyone else said
Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Anybody hear a sound like tires screeching on a very gusty day? Driving up through the central valley in California, there are some sections that get 50mph cross-winds, and with a speed limit of 70 (I'm doing 72mph) I hear a tire screeching sound whenever a gust hits the truck from either side. Scared the absolute shit out of me first time I heard it.
Yup on both counts. I have heard this as well, but only when driving at freeway speeds (70-ish) and getting hit by 60-70 mph crosswinds. And yes it scared the living shite out of me the first time it happened!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
First time it happened to me I was crossing a strip of highway with water immediately on both sides and I was already freaked out because it was storming and tornado warnings came in fast while I was mid trip. When the gust hit me I thought the sound was my tires screaching and I was sliding sideways toward the water. My heart about jumped out of my chest so I turned around only to find out later my friend drove right through in his wife's corolla haha embarrassing