1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question About Break-In Period

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jwenner3, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jun 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    jwenner3

jwenner3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Enumclaw WA
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Long Bed MGM
    Alright first of all, I apologize for starting a new thread but I couldn't really find my answer after searching for awhile...I just purchased my first Taco. It's a 2012 4x4 DCLB in Magnetic Gray Metallic. So far I've put about 200 miles on it and I love it! This is my first Toyota...I'm a pretty big Jeep guy but have had my eye on Tacos for awhile and when I saw the 2012's revised front end, I had to have one haha. Anyway, my question is about the break in period. I've been doing everything the owner's manual says as well as varying my RPM's. I tried cruise control once but only for a few minutes. I have also been keeping my top speed fairly low. So I am wondering if you guys know what they mean by avoid extremely high speeds? In addition, the manual says to avoid towing for the first 1000 miles. I ride dirtbikes and I'm wondering if two full size bikes would be violating any kind of load rule during the break in period? I'm not sure exactly why it says to avoid towing but I'm guessing it has something to do with transmission breaking in? Anyway, sorry for dumb questions. I just want to make sure I do everything right. Thank you for any input and glad to be part of the community!

2. Jun 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    A lot of guys will tell you the break in period stuff it a bunch of BS and to just drive it like you drive it. I can understand the no excessive speeds and no towing for the first 1000 but beyond that I don't think it matters to much. All I did was drive normally for 1000, then did the first oil change. Haven't had any issues yet.

3. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    jwenner3

jwenner3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Enumclaw WA
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Long Bed MGM
    Alright great thank you for the reply Snake. Also, did you drive a lot in the lower gears during break in? I noticed that the manual says "do not drive with the manual transmission in higher gears at low speeds" ...I think this actually means manual transmission. I drive around a lot in 4 so I'm hoping that's alright.

4. Jun 20, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    It's been said before somewhere on here. Break-in periods applied back when the clearances on piston rings and cylinders were large, due to lack of technology. Today, the clearances are so tight, the rings and cylinders don't have to grind themselves down anymore to get a good fit.
    Especially on Toyota engines:)

5. Jun 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Actually I think they say it's ok to tow after 500 miles. The dealer told me don't go over 75 mph and vary the speed for 1000 miles. Which is cautious but good advice I think.

Products Discussed in

To Top