1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Type or Trim do I have

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sfhunter, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jun 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    sfhunter

sfhunter [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Hey everyone, I've posted on here a couple times and have learned quite a bit of info over the last year since I bought my first Tacoma. So thanks everyone!

I was trying to buy some front mud flaps for my taco so when I go hunting I don't have these rocks being flung into the my paint from the front tires. When I was on Amazon I was asked what trim I have and to be honest I'm not to sure. I know its a 2008 4x4 sr5 TRD sport but they don't have that option on any sight let alone amazon. Would mine be considered a base model, prerunner (i believe prerunners are 2wd), or x-runner?

The only badges on the truck are Tacoma on the side and back, XSP on the side, and V6 SR5 on the back.

I don't currently have any pics but I am hoping to get use of a camera this evening if its needed. Thanks!

2. Jun 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    You don't have any of these...You have the TRD Sport "trim".

This is also a bit misleading, because the PreRunner comes in a variety of trims itself I believe.

If you're looking for a match, the PreRunner is probably gonna fit, but I can't say that for sure without seeing the product.

3. Jun 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    I don't think it matters really. I could be wrong, but because the body's are all the same except if you take into consideration long bed vs. short bed. I think whatever trim you choose will be fine.

4. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
  5. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Per runner is 2wd and x runner is the factory lowered (sport/racing) truck referring to the x frame it has for better handling. All others are base models.

6. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Correct me if I am wrong (high possibility). Pre-Runner: 2wd on 4wd chassis (6 lug), X-Runner: 2wd on 2wd chassis, low, "sporty" body kit. So, as you mentioned, yours is a 4x4, so those two are out of the window. The TuRD has stuff like a LSD, different seat covers, and I think a power outlet in the bed? From what I am thinking, they all have the same body and fender flares (YES, I know that some models have painted flares and some dont, but the same shaped plastic). So in theory, find flaps for a 4x4 and put them on.
    Thanks for reminding me though, my mudlfaps are cracking and I need to get new ones.

7. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    sfhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Thanks for the quick responses guys! I guess I'll just go with the base selection.

8. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    sfhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Yes, those are the ones I was looking at myself. They look and from the reviews sound really good! I just hate buying things online and not being able to see if they fit or not. But the internet just seems to have the better pricing and Amazon's return policy is top notch.

Has anyone here tried these and have they fit in your front?

9. Jun 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    You're not wrong, but I think the Amazon page is misleading and incomplete.

I did a little more research on this because I too need replacement front mudflaps so the subject interests me.

Here are the details from the Husky Liners site of the product I linked to before:
    http://www.huskyliners.com/site/?callHandle=product&catID=3
    Looks like they'll work on any type of Tacoma except for X-Runner (Note the part numbers for front vs. rear)

And thanks to search on this forum, I even found a pic of the product in action, thanks to Maticuno!

I really like that these are shorter than the OEM flaps, which are too long and simply get too beat up, which I learned the hard way on my old 2005 Taco.

10. Jun 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    MSU Spartan

MSU Spartan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '12 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I just put a set of the Husky's on mine last weekend. Removed the factory flaps and installed these. Fit is great and they are easy to install.

11. Jun 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    sfhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Thanks for the info! Looks like the ones in the link that was posted earlier were the front (part number 56931) ones. I guess I'll be buying them tonight! Thanks again everyone and I'll let you know how they fit on my truck.

12. Jun 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Yeah, the Amazon link from my post was for the front ones.

These are the rears:
    http://www.amazon.com/Husky-Liners-Custom-Fit-Mudguard/dp/B005ZZH7U6/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_b

13. Jun 13, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Ordered a pair of these for myself, I'll report back...

14. Jun 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    sfhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Hey guys, got my pair of husky front flaps and they fit pretty good! There was one hole that didn't quite match up on them but it really made zero difference to me. Don't have any pictures due to no digital camera right now but please order with confidence.

15. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Yup, just got mine put on this weekend as well.

They were easy to install, but just a warning that you will need the original bolts (or equivalent) because it doesn't come with them. Not the plastic clips (you won't need those), but actual metal bolts. Luckily, I had mine and install was a breeze.

16. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    sfhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Yeah install was real easy. To bad the previous owner didn't keep the original bolts with the truck so I'll have to go get some I guess. I just used some old machine screws to secure mine for right now till I find exactly what I need.

17. Aug 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    any pictures installed? And why are these better than factory?

18. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    I'll see what I can do to get some pictures up...
    EDIT: Here you go, from another thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...steady-mild-overlander-build.html#post4087307

Better/worse is it a bit subjective, but the fact is that the stock OEM front mudflaps either hang down too low or are too fragile or (most likely) both.

On my previous '05 Tacoma, I lost both of them with about a month of each other. It's been a while, but I'd guess I had about 50,000 miles on it at the time. The flaps hang down low enough that they scrape the ground when you go over bumps or speed bumps, eventually they tear away from the truck and fall off...and if you're lucky they don't start flying around violently in the wind while you're driving, scratching up the paint on the side of the car once they come loose.

Seriously, I know a few other people with 2nd gen. Tacomas, and this has happened to EVERY one of them. A good friend of mine with an '08 was just asking about my aftermarket mudflaps last weekend because he recently lost his 2nd front flap.

I basically just drove around without front flaps for the remaining life of my '05, but when I got my 2012 earlier this year and noticed that the front flap designed hadn't changed, I decided to just remove and put some aftermarket ones on there to prevent the problem from occurring again.

Now, I haven't owned these new ones long enough to give a real quality review of them, but they are shorter, so they're not bottom-ing out like the OEMs were, and they look great and install easy and are fairly inexpensive...so I'm happy.

19. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    Do they make them for the rear also?

20. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
To Top