1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma Warning Lights issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by starbucks, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    starbucks

starbucks [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Lifted
    Hi I have a 2010 prerunner single cab with a mild lift, that is pretty well cared for and never abused. Today while driving i noticed both the check engine light (not maint. req. light), and the slip indicator light on at 33,968 miles. I pulled over to check engine oil and fluids and everything looks ok. The coolant is on the low side but still above the low mark on canister. It was raining heavily last time I took the truck out, and I used the auto LSD and stability control for the first time.

I rely on this truck heavily, so this has me very concerned. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks.

:confused:

2. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    D4D Hilux Dude

D4D Hilux Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    TRD Supercharger TRD Catback Exhaust Ziebart Rust Proofing Additional Bed Ties 2012 Indicator side mirrors
    Do you have an aftermarket cold air intake installed?

3. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    starbucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Lifted
    Nope sure dont!

4. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Sounds odd, but check to see if your gas cap is tight. Those lights come on for gas evap. leak codes.

OBDII P0456, P0455 and P0441.

Best of luck.

Frank

5. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    starbucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Lifted
    Thanks. I just disconnected the battery, and put grease around the gas cap seal and reinstalled. So far so good, no more warning lights. :)

6. Feb 13, 2013 at 4:30 AM
    USCflyfisher

USCflyfisher New Member

Member:
    Beaufort, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma
    I am just curous did you have any more issues after this? My 2011 did the same exact thing this morning. It has been raining almost continuously for two and a half days. I haven't been parking under the car port so that my wife would be able to access it. My first thought was that it had something to with the rain? Just curious if you had any more issues or had any more information on this. I am going to try disconnecting the battery before contacting the dealer.

Thanks

7. Feb 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    autozone or advance auto parts will pull your codes for free...

8. Jun 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I let a buddy use my truck. He put some fuel in it and returned it to me. Well, I smelled fuel the next day and the CEL was on. Fired up Torque and found 3 codes.

P0441
    P0455
    P1500

yeah, so I was fretting the worst after reading 6 or so of these threads. Put it in the back of my mind then decided to tackle it a few days later. That got put off a whole week. Still smelled fuel and assumed it was running rich or whatever.

FInally, today, I walk out to the truck and start to get the down to business. Computer, OBD tools, Android Device, tools, 9v battery. Yeah, ready to get down.

So I checked the gas cap.....................................................................

WAS NOT EVEN ON! - Cleared codes, went back and drove it a mile to double check. Yep, no one is using the truck anymore. TIred of idiots in my life complicating things and stressing me out.

9. Jun 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    Monster1

Monster1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition DC Tacoma 4WD
    Weathertech digitals front and rear, TRD exhaust, Coverking dash mat, Oem Tacoma bedmat, Better Built tool box, bed extender, Toytec 1 1/2" AAL, Bilsteins front and rears, fronts set at .85, K&N filter, aluminum skid plate, EGR vent shades, locking tailgate handle, TRD emblems, Cal Trend seat covers front and back.
    When you discnnect the battery you also reset the compter on your vehicle, maybe that's what erased your warning lights. Good luck.

10. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    After you reset the battery and drive for about 100 miles do a scan with your OBDII code reader again. Just because the check engine light isn't on doesn't mean there are no codes. I buy and sell all the time and dealers know that if a person doesn't see that "CEL" then they will have peace of mind. So they clear the codes with a scanner or they just unhook the battery cable for a bit then reconnect it. I've never tried reconnecting the OBDII scanner after reconnecting the battery, so it may not find a code right away. But since you reset the system by disconnecting the battery, you should double check by scanning for codes again even if the CEL isn't on. If you've driven it enough for the computer system to detect something then it should show up on the scanner. Hopefully it's all good though!

11. Jun 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    no, on mine it is fixed... called my buddy and explained his error to him.

Products Discussed in

To Top