1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finding a matalic noise after bump in road.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GeorgeW, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jun 14, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    GeorgeW

GeorgeW [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma reg. cab 4X4 2.7 5speed St. shift
    Stock but did install a ARE cap with roof rack. fold up windows all the way around for ease of use .
    Hello again,, 2012 new Toyota Tacoma reg. cab 2.7 4 banner 5 speed St. shift.. I have one issue with a noise I hear had it from new about 2,000 miles on her now. it's a matalic clater sound say if there is a hump type of bump that goes all the way acrossed the road front wheels axle goes over fine then as soon as the rear wheels go over I get the noise louder with the windows down..Sounds mid to back of truck.. I checked all wheel lugs also shook the hell out of the tall pipe and muffler all the way up heard nothing.. Does any oners have this that can point me in the right direction.. Thanks george

2. Jun 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    stocksport

stocksport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Weathertech liners, LED interior, tag, and 3rd brake light, reverse light mod, rear TSB, rear diff. breather, added black factory running boards, OR tow hook, and rhino lined UWS low profile box.
    Sounds like you've probably checked this, but could it be your hitch? (if installed)

3. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    GeorgeW

GeorgeW [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Stock but did install a ARE cap with roof rack. fold up windows all the way around for ease of use .
    Thanks No hitch.. But ya sounds like that..

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:25 AM
    GeorgeW

GeorgeW [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Sorry but reposting this here as it makes sence to me..

I have some noise I posted about just a bit ago and decided to have a look see.. Please I don't have a work shop manual for this truck yet.. just about every thing I put a wrench too I found lose or way lose.. heck even the U bolts holding the rear axle to the springs were reticules lose.. I don't know the specs on how tight things should be so I limited my tightening to body and some suspension components.. I been working on cars trucks for well over 40 years so I know about how tight most things should be.. Ya even the wheel lugs were lose.. At least the specs for them are the owner's manual.. some were as low as 20 ft lbs and as high as 70 ft lbs.. tranny mounts were almost hand lose cross member was also darn lose.. What gives are they on crack? Please if anyone can post the suspension and body torque spec's please post.. Thanks George
    P.S.
    2012 tacoma 4X4 reg. cab 2.7 with a St tranny 5 speed.. About 2,000 miles on it.. Take it back and have the dealer go over it.. I'm not that nuts!! Darn Munkys! LOL!! George

5. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    GeorgeW

GeorgeW [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    I plan on going over the midel to the front today as I still have the noise.. George

6. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    Sub'd for torque specs if someone comes through

7. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    stocksport

stocksport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Weathertech liners, LED interior, tag, and 3rd brake light, reverse light mod, rear TSB, rear diff. breather, added black factory running boards, OR tow hook, and rhino lined UWS low profile box.
    Same, not the first time I've heard of loose nuts and bolts. Guess I need to check mine...

8. Jun 15, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    More found here...

9. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    GeorgeW

GeorgeW [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    98tocoma27
    Thank you for that info!

Ok was under the front today grabbing pounding on and pulling on things.. Only thing I could find that could be the sound is coming from the inner sides of the front axle shafts where they go into the front differential. This could be normal for all I know with Toyota.. There is enough wiggle on the inner CV joints if that's what Toyota even calls them. About 1/32" to 1/16 of play or movement to them and if I hit this part with the heal of my hand I can hear a metallic noise.. is this play or noise normal? It's a pain over dirt washboard roads. It's the only thing i can really find.. my back is just to bad today to get a wrench on every nut and bolt today.. but I do think it's something I may now have top live with.. What do you guys and gals think? thanks a bunch! George

10. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    If the movement you are describing is the cv sliding in and out of the diff, then yes that is normal.

11. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    GeorgeW

GeorgeW [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma27,

CV joint is ok but axle into diff. can side it slides in and out very little I think that's ok.. No, I'm describing a up and down movement. I mean it's round so you could physically move it like that all the way around.
    I guess the best way to describe it is to grab onto the CV just the inner side of the boot where it goes into the front diff or axle housing it a metal part that the boot clamps too. Kind of a octagon shape and pull push on it up and down .. Not like sliding the hole axle and CV just in and out.. Hope you know what I mean.. George

12. Jun 21, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    GeorgeW

GeorgeW [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Maybe what I'm hearing is the inner axle splines slapping up and down when going over bumps. I wonder if the axle spline was greased before install? Any other known places to look? I think my rear springs are still not making noise. Sound it tricky.. 2,500 miles on it now but noise was there when going over bumpy or washboard roads. Get it on single bumps too if there big enough. Thanks! George

Products Discussed in

To Top