1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Softopper Caps

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cbass8u, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jun 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    cbass8u

cbass8u [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 4-Banger Hand Shaker
    TRD Rims, Pioneer Touch Screen and speakers
    I've got a 2nd gen access cab and i'm considering a softopper cap to replace my toneau cover, which is beginning to leak. Anyone have experience with them?

2. Jun 15, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    Just do a search and you will find plenty of info on here. I picked one up off of craigslist for $300 about a month or 2 ago. So far I have been pleased with it.

3. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you do a lot of highway driving, I've heard they kill MPG's. I also wouldn't plan on it being 100% water tight. Some water will trickle in at the corners unless you do something to seal them up besides what the install instructions say.

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Wicked 2007

Wicked 2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AT DC SB 4x4
    2007 Tacoma Double Cab SB 4WD - Auto -TRD Off Road - Icon Billet UCA - 8" ORI Front Struts - Bilstein 5100 11" RCD Shock - AllPro Expo Springs - Demello Sliders - Tom Woods 1 Piece Driveshaft - 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims - Locker Mod - Locker Guard - 35" MT MTZ's - ARB Bumper - Warn 8000 winch w/synthetic line - All-Pro Front Skid/Transmission Skid/Rear Armor - ARB Front Locker - Nitro 4.56 gears - Marlin 4.7 crawl box - Twin Stick FJ t-case - ATO high clearance rear bumper
    love mine. lose MPG? no. Watertight? i would say as good as a hard top - nothing is water tight for a bed.

5. Jun 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    I've not noticed any significant MPG loss with the softtopper deployed vs collapsed.

I went with the softopper instead of the besttop because I didn't want the hassle of dealing with the windows on the sides since you have to remove and store them when the cap isn't up. Yeah there are blind spots since the back window is essentially useless with the softopper but it's manageable; I'm not driving a sports car.

Overall I'm very pleased with the softopper. I installed it when it was roughly 50 degrees out. It took a couple of days to do a button-by-button snap down of the canvas since it was cold and hadn't stretched yet. But now it goes on pretty easy every time. When it's collapsed I can't really even tell it's there from the driver seat because the back headrests of my double cab block that view anyways.

I have half-assed put on the seam-sealer on the inside of it. I'm waiting for another rain to see how much more I need to put on it since it wasn't leaking that badly to begin with. I'll probably spray some nikiwax on the outside next to double-up on my sealing.

Products Discussed in

To Top