1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inner door panel removal help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cyclonerider2, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jun 17, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    cyclonerider2

cyclonerider2 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Hello, I've got a 2010 Tacoma. Someone shoved a shopping cart into my door and now I've got a dent I'd like to try to get out. Not sure the best method of dent repair but I thought if I took the inner door panel off I could see if I had good access to the problem. I thought before I tore into it and learned something the hard way (which is usually how I learn things) I'd see if someone has already done this and get a few quick tips.
    I saw a small panel that probably pops out revealing a screw. I'm assuming I need to pull the bottom of the panel out which is probably held by some type of clips? Special clip removal tool required?

2. Jun 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    There are a couple bolts on each door panel first one is behind the door handle...get a flat head and open the little plastic piece that's covering the bolt and remove I think its a 10mm and another bolt behind grab handle same thing with mentioned above....after that there's a black triangular black piece on top next to the mirror take that off it takes very little force...when that's done start prying from bottom corner with flat head or door panel removal tool there's about 8 or 10 clips around the whole door panel....the clips Toyota uses are actually very durable (compared to most) so don't be scared to pry door panel away

3. Jun 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    cyclonerider2

Member:
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Thanks for the tips. That's what I needed to know.

4. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Triangular panel, make sure you remove the clip and put it back into the panel before reassembly.

Below that there is a plastic "rivet"... push the center in and remove it. Push the center the other way so it is extended and it's ready for reinstallation.

Under the door lever (top) there is a small hinged panel. Open it and remove the screw. The lock and lever remain attached to the door.

If you have manual windows, get a window crank removal tool under it and pop the clip out. There's a cover over the door pull the covers two bolts (10mm socket). Remove those.
    The rest of the removal can be tool-less unless you prefer to use a body trim removal tool.

If you have power windows, get something under the rear of the switch panel and lever it up. Pull back and up (hinge at the front) and it will pull free of the door.
    Disconnect the electrical. Again, there is a cover over the door pull that hides two bolts (10mm socket). Remove those and from there it's the same as the manual door.

5. Jun 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    crackils likes this.
  6. Jun 18, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    cyclonerider2

Member:
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Rich91710...........Thanks so much for your reply but mainly for the video. It takes some of the guess work out of the project. I probably would have tried to pull the center of the plastic rivet out instead of pushing it in. The method of removing the control panel switches was probably helpful too. I could have seen me breaking that rear tab. Looks pretty easy and less intimidating now. Plus, the narator was easy on the eyes.

7. Jun 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    patrickdavison28

patrickdavison28 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    asheville nc
    Vehicle:
    to bad it's gold :(
    wheels, cb, need to do ALOT more
    I didn't learn anything from that video but the anatomy of that girl. I think she could put rocks in my motor and I wouldn't care. Thanks for the video didn't learn a thing about my truck lol.

8. Jun 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I've removed the door panels before so for me, it was all about the video, lol. Seen it before but can always use a refresher of that type.........

9. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    cyclonerider2

Member:
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Well, after taking advise and watching the video 34 times, I got into the project today. Piece of cake! Somehow, I felt like I knew what I was doing.:D Got to attempt taking out the dent in the door. I'd say I got out 90% of the dent. Much better, not perfect, but worth the effort. Now you just see it if you're looking for it. Before you could see it from 20 yards away. Also putting everything back was a piece of cake too. I did watch the video a few more times just to make sure I did it right.:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

10. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Yeah I watched the video a few times as well.

But I already knew how to take apart the door panel, I just like it more when that girl is showing me. ;)

11. Jun 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I have manual windows, but the video was quite helpful when I first found it :D

12. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you very much for posting this vid

OH Yea, Thanks for the door panel removal tip also!

13. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I can now remove my door panels in my sleep....

...but I need to review the video a few more times to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

14. Apr 15, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    crackils

crackils Sith Lord Jar Jar

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB Off-Road - KINGS/5125s AF
  15. Apr 15, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    TacOffRoad11

TacOffRoad11 Well-Known Member