Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Rail CB Antenna Install

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Rail CB Antenna Install

I'm hoping this is somewhat of an original contribution to TW. I've seen a few threads about antennas being installed on the bed rails using nuts, bolts and rail-sized washers, but I had an idea after installing a Clutch SD bed rail bike mount a couple weeks back.

So, I decided to go with the Firestik K-24 antenna mount:

http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-K-24-...=firestik+k-24

And ordered an extra hardware kit like the one that came with the bike mount:

http://www.rockymounts.com/truck_bik...are_p/0141.htm

Here it all is:

The hardware fit the mount perfectly:

Just slid it in the rail and tightened her down. I was debaiting facing the horizontal part of the mount forward or backward, I was somewhat concerned with the antenna bouncing into the back of the truck. After a few high speed runs over the speedbumps in a local parking lot though, I'm happy I put it forward. Looks much cleaner.

Sorry for the crappy photo:

Still need to get it all tuned, I'm going to lose the spring when my new antenna comes (this one is off of another vehicle). Overall, I am very pleased with the how it turned out. I tried to align the antenna with the black strip on the roof so it doesn't stick out as much when looking from behind. If anyone has any questions or comments send them my way!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Av8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome man. Looks great. I want to do the exact same setup but my only concern is the addition of a tonno pro tonneau cover in a few months. I think though, after seeing your setup that it will work as the tonno pro leaves a slight gap on the front of the bed so it's worth a try. Thanks for the post. What kind of antenna did you go with? I know firestik's are pretty good but haven't researched yet. Tks for any info.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
Awesome man. Looks great. I want to do the exact same setup but my only concern is the addition of a tonno pro tonneau cover in a few months. I think though, after seeing your setup that it will work as the tonno pro leaves a slight gap on the front of the bed so it's worth a try. Thanks for the post. What kind of antenna did you go with? I know firestik's are pretty good but haven't researched yet. Tks for any info.
Glad someone found the post helpful! I went with a 2' Firestik, took off the spring that is in the pictures.. It isn't very noticeable and only sticks out a couple inches over the cab. Very happy with it so far, going to do the same install on my friend's truck this week.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
With an antenna that close to the cab AND that short, I would imagine the reception is gonna be terrible.. I have a three footer and its at the back of the bad. When your antenna is close to the cab like that, the cab blocks most or your reception. And most guys say your antenna should be 2/3 above your cab or something. Is yours tuned already? Hows your reception?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

I used to have a 3 footer hood mounted on my other truck, went down to a 2' and didn't really notice a diff. Can't say I notice too much difference now between the hood mounted and this setup. I HAVE NOT tuned it yet, SWR meter is sitting in the garage staring at me. I hit my friend about 1.5 miles away the night I installed it, he has a rear door hinge mounted 3 ft on his FJ.

It's def not the best setup for performance, but I think it's a good compromise between function and fashion. I don't want to look like a redneck, and I need to be able to get into parking garages. At the same time I only ever use it in pretty close range situations with friends, so it works.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
ssmith29440 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
ssmith29440's Tacoma Gallery
Nice and neat installàtion. Breaker Breaker 19 anybody got a copy.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
tacohound is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
tacohound's Tacoma Gallery
breaker 1-9 this heres the rubber duck, you got a copy on me pig pen come on. But seriously I want to put one in too.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
tacohound is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
tacohound's Tacoma Gallery
thank you for getting that reference.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
NorCalTaco33 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ronnie
NorCalTaco33's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good! How is the reception? Have you tested it yet?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Ancient or so i'm told
64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denis
64Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
I cut and welded 2 pieces of 2" x 1/4" stock cut to 3" and tapped 2 pieces of 2" x 1/4" stock cut to 1" to slide behind the rail to bolt it to.
I can fold it down when the tonneau is closed and fold it up when i wheel.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
Av8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Wildcat View Post
I cut and welded 2 pieces of 2" x 1/4" stock cut to 3" and tapped 2 pieces of 2" x 1/4" stock cut to 1" to slide behind the rail to bolt it to.
I can fold it down when the tonneau is closed and fold it up when i wheel.
Kewl!! Looks good!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
you need to run a grounding strap or else youll never be able to get it tuned properly.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
LoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud of
LoneCynic's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha, this looks like a nice install you did. I've been trying to figure out how I could mount up something similar on my new Tacoma. My other Pickup is a '91 Chevy K1500 Silverado, and I just used a bed post hole antenna mount right behind the cab and stuck a 102 steel whip on a spring there. SWR is perfect with that antenna, but it catches on tree limbs and everything else whenever I drive that old truck.

I didn't mind drilling a small hole in the bed frame for a grounding strap on that truck, but my Tacoma is too new for me to be willing to alter it much. Definitely care more about aesthetics with it, so I'll be following this thread to see what you come up for a grounding solution. Will probably go with a shorter antenna on the Tacoma as well.

Where did you run the antenna wire into the cab at? Did you find a grommet to feed it through? That's what I did on my Chevy, found a grommet in the floor of the cab and made a small cut in the carpet to run it up under the seat to the Radio installed under the dash. It has a bench seat, but the Tacoma has a center console. I'd be interested to see where you installed the radio at in your cab if you have a picture of that too.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There's a rubber gromet in the back behind the plastic stuff that is removable.

As for the grounding strap you can fin a bolt that's not painted and run it to that so you won't need to drill.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #17

Ill try to upload pics but I no longer have cb. I upgraded to a 2 meter radio
Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #18
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha88 View Post
I'm hoping this is somewhat of an original contribution to TW. I've seen a few threads about antennas being installed on the bed rails using nuts, bolts and rail-sized washers, but I had an idea after installing a Clutch SD bed rail bike mount a couple weeks back.

Still need to get it all tuned, I'm going to lose the spring when my new antenna comes (this one is off of another vehicle). Overall, I am very pleased with the how it turned out. I tried to align the antenna with the black strip on the roof so it doesn't stick out as much when looking from behind. If anyone has any questions or comments send them my way!
Nice mount not the best place place for it though and don't bother to tune it until you remove the spring.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery

I went this route
Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Back to Back World War Champions
tylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tylershane17's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda late but what kind of range are you guys getting mounting toward the back? I like the look but an old timer once told me it was best to mount them closest to the center of the vehicle as you could.

Products Discussed in this Thread