Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau Buying Help, PLEASE!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
love the sig man! Kate Upton is my fav
Old 06-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!
crazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant future

Name: ErIc
crazyrzr85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCarter1 View Post
I am asking this out of complete ignorance, as a new pick up truck owner...

What's the big deal about using/not using the Toyota bed rails? If it uses the existing bed rails then I don't have access to them for tying stuff down anymore? If it doesn't use them then I can? Is it easier to install with the existing rails?
The model I'm getting allows you to still use the rail system...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What's the big deal about using/not using the Toyota bed rails? If it uses the existing bed rails then I don't have access to them for tying stuff down anymore? If it doesn't use them then I can? Is it easier to install with the existing rails?
Some covers sit so low that the bed cleats can't be used in the bed rails. Here's a link to more discussion about what covers will allow the bed rails to still be utilized. It may help clear-up any questions you have. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ss-rol-up.html
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #24
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Here are some instructions for installing Access covers on a Tacoma (you will remove bed rails, put cover rails with spacers in and then put bed rails on top again...much cleaner install than using clamps imo and allows you to use those four plastic (d-rings) tie downs. If you get a very low profile cover such as Access Tonnosport, Vanish and Lorado, I think you will have to use the mini toyota (d rings) tie downs instead. I have Access LiteRider (same profile as Original and Limited) and I can use the regular sized d-rings no problem.

http://www.realtruck.com/shared/pdf/...supplemen4.pdf

Some other covers, and even Access covers mounted on different trucks than Tacoma use clamps. See Illustration 3 on pg2.

http://www.realtruck.com/shared/pdf/...nersmanual.pdf
Old 06-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #25
Banned
SlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to behold

SlamFire's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to make my own decision of a tonneau. Thanks for everyone that posted, especially those who included links to other such discussions.

I had the oppurtunity to talk to the owner of a Truxedo the other day. Looks good. He told me his entire small business fleet has been outfitted with 'em. Also told me that one of the employee's had really screwed up, stretched the cover to fit some sharp stuff in the bed, and ripped it. Was replaced by the factory without a question asked.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #26
crazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant future

Ordered the Access Limited cover yesterday, should be here next week...cant wait!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #27
taco12 is on a distinguished road
taco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I have a Truxedo and I like it, but it is a bit too wide. There is about 1" too much material width-wise which makes for not completely solid contact on the velcro. Only complaint
Noticed that when I installed mine two weeks ago. Also noticed that if I roll it up too tight the hard plastic on the ends of the back rail scratched the cover material. Had to roll it up today so I just put some foam on the ends and there were no issues.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
i have an access for sale
holy hell...where have you been?!?!?!?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Tonno Pro tri fold. Real nice found it on Craiglist got a real bargain. condition was like new. Also can use it with all the bed rail tie downs.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
I bought a Tonno Pro tri fold. Real nice found it on Craiglist got a real bargain. condition was like new. Also can use it with all the bed rail tie downs.
I wanted roll up, but nice find...
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #32

Well it's been a while since I was on vacation, but I got the Access Limited cover on. It is exactly what I expected. Installation was easy, an extra set of hands would have been nice though. Cover seems to do its job and keeps water from rain/driving/hand washing out very well, no power washing or car wash yet. I would recommend this cover to anyone on the site!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #33
Banned
SlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to behold

Seeing as how the OP has made his choice. I'm not hijacking the thread.

What looks good to me, and would serve my needs, is the Truxport. Something that price range (not a penny higher- paid cash for my truck and that took almost every cent of disposable cash on hand) is right for me too.

Have searched threads for Truxport, but didn't find much.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
TAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
TAOScott's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing at all wrong with the Truxport. It is the entry-level cover from Truxedo though. You will still have access to your track, but due to the clamps to hold the cover, the tie down positions may be limited.

Install
Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #35
Nor Cal is on a distinguished road
Name: Alejandro
Nor Cal's Tacoma Gallery
Very good info on this thread. I have been looking for a good affordable roll up tonneau cover for my 2012 and I think I have found it with the access limited!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal View Post
Very good info on this thread. I have been looking for a good affordable roll up tonneau cover for my 2012 and I think I have found it with the access limited!
Talk with Scott from truckaddons.com...he is whom I dealt with and was/am very satisfied overall with my experience.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #37
Banned

Thanks, Scott. Looks like you are the guy to buy from, too.