Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front driver side "clunk" noise when taking off from a stop

Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
jonatay is on a distinguished road
jonatay's Tacoma Gallery
Question Front driver side "clunk" noise when taking off from a stop

I've heard of axle wrap and other noises, but I'm not sure if mine is the same as the other complaints I have seen on here. I have about 8K on my truck and I only notice this "clunk" noise when I am taking off from a stop. It doesn't happen every time and I have noticed it when the wheels are straight as well as when they are turned. It appears to be coming from the front driver's side wheel area. Almost seems like I can feel it thru the floor. Any ideas? If I don't figure it out, I will mention it when I take it in for the 2nd free oil change. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Big Dustin will become famous soon enough

Name: Dustin
Big Dustin's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same thing in my 2012. It sounds like something is very loose, and threads are pulling through a bolt hole.

I took mine in to the dealer. They had it for an entire day, to no avail. They actually called Toyota's engineering group for ideas, but they had none.

The tech "re-torqued all of the front suspension components." He also said he found a "diff mounting bolt" was off centered in the bolt hole. He modified the hole, but it is still doing it just as much as before.

I plan on looking at mine when I am installing my 5100's, and hopefully find something he missed.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious to what it is......I don't recall mine doing this
Old 06-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same thing and it feels like it comes from under my feet. Never been able to figure it out but I think it is the heater vent that comes up under the seat sliding when I hit the brakes. I know for sure the clunk I hear is not coming from my brake pins. I do all the work on my front end and know nothing was loose up there.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Fury is on a distinguished road
Fury's Tacoma Gallery
Hi all.

Here is an exerpt from the system description of the VSC system section of the 2012 RM.
This is the noise I hear that my dealer calls the "Toyota bump". They couldn't tell me what it actually is though ... I hear it every time I take off.

3. INITIAL CHECK
(a) When the vehicle speed first reaches approximately 6 km/h (4 mph) or more after the ignition
switch has been turned ON, each solenoid valve and the brake actuator motor are sequentially
activated to perform electrical checks. During the initial check, the operating sound of the motor
can be heard from the engine compartment, but this does not indicate a malfunction.

Perhaps this is what your hearing as well ?

Cheers

Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
jonatay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Sure it's not this? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ing-brake.html

If it is, it's normal.
I'm pretty sure it is not this. It doesn't necessarily happen shortly after pressing the brake. I can be sitting at a light for several minutes and then it happens when I take off. I have also had it happen when pulling out of a parking space. Obviously, I did have to hit the brake prior to putting it in D, but the truck had been sitting prior to as well. Thanks for the info, though.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
jonatay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Here is an exerpt from the system description of the VSC system section of the 2012 RM.
This is the noise I hear that my dealer calls the "Toyota bump". They couldn't tell me what it actually is though ... I hear it every time I take off.

3. INITIAL CHECK
(a) When the vehicle speed first reaches approximately 6 km/h (4 mph) or more after the ignition
switch has been turned ON, each solenoid valve and the brake actuator motor are sequentially
activated to perform electrical checks. During the initial check, the operating sound of the motor
can be heard from the engine compartment, but this does not indicate a malfunction.

Perhaps this is what your hearing as well ?

Cheers

I'm not sure about this one, but I will definitely be looking more into this. I want to say that it has happened even after I have been driving for several miles (above the 4mph) and then I come to a stop and take off again. I can't be too sure though. I will definitely be paying more attention to when it actually happens as far as first time to 4mph or not. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
jonatay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Sure it's not this? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ing-brake.html

If it is, it's normal.
This could be related afterall...While reading the posts on your link, I found another link that explains this a little more clearly. I will try duplicating it the same way and see if this sounds the same or not.

Here is the link I found for others with this issue:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2605401
Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
I got the same noise, I here it everyday when I back out of my garage.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: miguel
aidenhardcore's Tacoma Gallery
Check your lower control arm bushings and bolts. If the bolts are loose, the clunk will happen and will warp the bushing and you need to replace it. Make sure the nut and bolt to the lower control arm is really tighten . If loose at all the sound will happen. My truck only has 25, 000 k on it and this is what happenend. If you lift it the noise will become louder. You need to grease the inside of the bushing and tighten it. You'll still hear a click but not a clunk. That's what I did.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Big Dustin will become famous soon enough

Name: Dustin
Big Dustin's Tacoma Gallery
I know mine isnt any self checks, or brake pads/calipers shifting. Mine is progressively getting worst. Now it does it when going over speed bumps. I will be installing 5100's this weekend, and will check the LCA bolts while everything is apart.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I used to hear the same noise with my truck when first backing out of the driveway in the morning. It could be my imagination but since letting the truck roll back a few feet in neutral (driveway is at a slight incline) then stopping to put it in reverse the noise seems to have vanished. I haven't heard it in 4 years.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleFool View Post
I have the same thing and it feels like it comes from under my feet. Never been able to figure it out but I think it is the heater vent that comes up under the seat sliding when I hit the brakes. I know for sure the clunk I hear is not coming from my brake pins. I do all the work on my front end and know nothing was loose up there.
Yes, mine feels like it's coming from the floor board. Same clunk truck just hit 35k. Left/drivers side definitely the suspension or something related. I had an alignment about three hundred miles ago. Noise started about 25 miles ago. So pissed. The odd part is that it comes and goes.